Do you "check in" when your weight goes up?

Options

Replies

• tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i log in once a week and whatever it is gain or lose i log it in. u got to take the good and the bad

This^^^^^
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I note both because if I gain, then it keeps me accountable to get it back off. I only log my weight on here no more than once per week. However, since I've been on maintenance I only log my weight when there's a change (not every, single week).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day so don't record all the fluctuations. I check in a new low weight and when a gain has stuck around for a while. Just recorded a total of 6lb up from my MFP low weight :frown:
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think fessing up to yourself is quite a good idea. I put on 9lbs since April as I've been working from home and rattling around the house eating and drinking. I wouldn't record the daily fluctuations though.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but don't log the loss until it holds for a few days or so. Today I weighed a pound less than my last log but I won't log it until I know it's going to stick. That way I don't have to go back and forth.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    if it's my scheduled day to log check in. then yep i do . I be mad as a hatter about it, but i'd only be lying to myself if i wasn't keeping accurate check of my weight.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    If the weight gain doesn't go away in a few days, such as after the holidays or vacation, yep.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don't.:blushing: But, I probably should.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have recorded weight gains in the past back when I was trying to make sense of everything- evaluate what happened- etc. etc. But now I don't bother because (a) if it's just water after a big workout or regular day-to-day fluctuations it doesn't bother me so much anymore and (b) I have 'friends' on MFP now so it seems kind of weird getting congratulated for the same 1lb loss 2-3-4-5 times. So now I just let it go- weigh in every day- and record the new lows. If I genuinely fell off the wagon and felt the weight gain was real then yes I would record it.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I only log my weight loss MFP but I have a calendar that I log my daily wieght; whether I gain or lose.

^ this, though I don't weight myself daily, my calendar is the place where I record any gains.
  • LisAllum
    LisAllum Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm one of those *daily weighers* too. Every morning I just HAVE to step on the scale and see what they say. I know this isn't helping me, but it's a morbid fascination. I log in my weight every Tuesday and that's the one everyone sees.

As I only started a week or so ago, I haven't had a gain yet, but I feel it's just as important to log these as it is our losses. We all have bad days, weeks etc. We are all on here because until we took control, we weren't making ourselves accountable for our bad eating habits. There is nothing wrong with logging a gain at all. We are human and we are not infallible! If you lose a few lbs from a gain that you have had, why not post a comment underneath that it is exactly that. And you SHOULD feel proud for losing those lbs again! It means that you have taken responsibility for slipping up and done something about it again and you deserve the congratulations you get!

This is a journey that we are all on together, it is NOT easy and the support we get from everyone is how we get to our goals. It's GOOD to know that I am not the only person who can slip up. It makes me work harder to know that people are behind me cheering me on whether I lose or am having to lose a gain to get back on track.

Good luck to everyone and feel free to add me if you need any support, I sure know that I do! :flowerforyou:
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I peek at the scale every day but on log on Friday . Good or bad. The spikes often motivate me to get my head on straight.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once/week and I put weight gains and losses. If not, I'm only cheating myself.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Just the losses, because my weigh changes a lot with water intake, and during my TOM.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I do yes, otherwise I feel guilty about it
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    nope.

I should though for long-term purposes.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I weigh once per month, but I only log losses. Not because I'm ashamed or in denial, but because it frustrates and discourages me to see that number on my ticker constantly going up and down, up and down... It helps me remember that, even though I may have gained or stayed the same, I was at the weight listed on my ticker just a few weeks ago. I WILL get there again, I've just gotta keep working at it.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    yes i do
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The first time I went up, I didn't...and then changed my mind a day later. MFP is about being HONEST with yourself--honest about what you've eaten, what you've done to exercise, etc.--and part of that is accepting that your weight WILL go up and down, not just steadily downward.

That said, I don't count any weighing I do during the week except for my Friday morning 'official' weigh-in. I check myself a few times a week to gauge my progress but I don't obsess about the numbers. I know that only Friday counts. :)

There is another good reason to record the gains, by the way. Later, you will be able to look back and see the pattern. Did you gain because it was that time of the month (if you're a woman) or was it just after a vacation or a party? I saw a spike the week I went off my BP medication. My body felt it, too, and I really felt down and demoralized. But the steady loss since then has been a reminder that the gain was only temporary--and something that was mostly out of my control.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I used to log it when it went up a bit but then when I lost it friends kept congratulating me so I felt it was a bit more confusing for them since I just got back to where I was before I gained the little bit lol so I only log when I lose but if I were to gain a lot yes I would enter it in.