Is Quinoa worth it? And how do I make it tasty?!

Options

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is so awesome- use it anywhere you would normally use rice :)

You can also make a really fantastic cold quinoa salad (amounts are up to you):
    Cooked quinoa (chilled)
    feta cheese
    blueberries (or whatever berried you have on hand)
    cucumber
    squeezed lime juice

mix it all up and enjoy!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cook it with chicken broth instead of water
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I didn't know what I was doing with it when I tried it. I probably will try it again in the future, but at present, I wasn't that impressed.
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use it as a replacement for rice. I cook it in low sodium chicken broth instead of water and toss it in with stir-fry or as on its own as a side. Just like rice, it really doesn't have much flavor on its own.. you have to add flavor with veggies or seasonings, etc. But it's super healthy and very filling.
  • vegilover73
    Options
    It's great in a hearty soup/chili! I substitute it for rice whenever possible because it's so much healthier. Also, I add a vegetable bouilion while cooking to give some flavor.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Great question! Bumping for later :)
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There is no direct co-relation between US cups and UK Imperial/Metric, it depends on the ingredient being measured eg 1 cup of flour may equate to X ozs while 1 cup of say beans will most certainly be different. Try using one of the conversion websites to get an accurate measure of the ingredient being used.
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    Blueberries and feta cheese? That sounds amazing!... but unusual! x
  • gerald1019
    gerald1019 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for quinoa that I absolutely love. In fact, I'm making it this weekend. I usually eat this on "Meatless Monday's". I found this recipe on www.cookingquinoa.net.

Quinoa Patties

2 ½ C. cooked quinoa
    4 large eggs, beaten
    ½ tsp. salt
    2/3 C. fresh chives, chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
    1/3 C. parmesan cheese
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 C. whole wheat bread crumbs
    1 T. olive oil

1. In a medium bowl, combine quinoa, eggs and salt. Stir in garlic, chives, onion, cheese and cayenne pepper. Add breadcrumbs and allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
    2. Form into patties 1 inch thick. The mixture should be very moist. You may need to add water or extra breadcrumbs to moisten or make the mixture dryer.
    3. Place a large skillet over medium low heat. Heat olive oil. Add as many patties as your skillet can handle, being careful not to overload it so that you have trouble flipping the patties.
    4. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Flip and cook for 7 more minutes on the other side. Patties should be lightly browned.
    5. Allow to cool on a wire rack, keeping your spatula handy to fend off family members who try to steal them. 

Prep time: 15 minutes Yield: 6 patties
    Cook time: 18 minutes Calories per serving: 237
    Total time: 33 minutes
  • butjuli
    butjuli Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump....quinoa is on my list of things I want to try and add to my diet! This week was tuna and black beans...not huge wins, but I was a seriously picky eater before this =]
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This turkey and quinoa meatloaf tastes like nothing else I've ever tried anywhere. It's so delicious it is now a staple at our household.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-and-Quinoa-Meatloaf/
  • JessJessB
    JessJessB Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried foodgawker.com? It's my new obsession. Here's a search for quinoa: http://foodgawker.com/?s=quinoa

Anyway, you can go basic and treat it like rice, or you can make tabbouleh with it, that's really good too. I just bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612430201/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01 and it arrived yesterday, so I haven't tried any of those specific recipes before, but there's a lot on their preview pages.

It's good salted and peppered and sprinkled on a salad, too, as a protein boost.
  • Donya925
    Donya925 Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't necessarily know it's "worth it" - as in not sure if quinoa is high in calories or carbs but it's definitely a tasty side dish. I like to add chopped garlic & a little bit of salt.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I loooooove quinoa for breakfast 1/2 cup quinoa, 2 and 1/4 cup water 1 and a half tablespoons cinnamon and fake sugar. It is always nicer if you let it soak just before or even overnight but it is not absolutely necessary. Rinse it out, put it in with water and cinnamon and fake sugar, put over medium heat then let it cook like rice till the water is completely absorbed. Then enjoy. I like to put a little butter on it and let it melt mmmm.

I also do the same thing with a bunch of veggies, veggie broth and sometimes put some salmon in at the last minute. It is sooo good. I like it with leeks.

I was introduced to quinoa here on MFP and now I cannot live without it.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    quinoa is high on iron, it is a complete protein, it is high on calcium and fiber among many other things. I loooove it!!! Way better than any grain. I do not eat wheat. Oh it is gluten free too.
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. I usually have a light quinoa version of shrimp scampi - a little butter (or butter spray), lemon, garlic, shrimp and of course, quinoa. Delicious.
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like to make a cold salad with quinoa. I rinse the quinoa and then cook it in the rice cooker. While it is cooking I chop veggies --red pepper, corn kernels, minced onion, etc. I rinse and drain a can of black beans. When the quinoa is done I mix it with the veggies and then add a cilantro/lime vinagrette (lime juice, honey, olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro). You can eat it warm, but it is good after it has been stored in the fridge as well.

This sounds amazing! Work lunch for next week sorted!
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Salad.

1 cup Quinoa
    1 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
    3 Tbsps Olive Oil
    2 Green (spring) Onions (sliced thin)
    1 Cup drained and rinsed black beans (scant)
    1 Cup drained and rinsed chick peas (scant)
    1 – 2 jalapeno peppers (diced super-fine)
    Lemon (for juice)
    Feta Cheese

Cook the quinoa. Drain.

In a large bowl, mix quinoa with the vinegar, olive oil, green onions, black beans, chick peas, jalapeno peppers and a big squeeze of lemon juice. Add some cracked pepper, and a pinch of salt -- top with feta cheese. Taste and adjust salt if needed.

While you can eat this same day, refrigerating overnight really brings out the flavors.
  • jennlove79
    jennlove79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Sounds great