Average human weighs 137lb - world's fattest countries

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    From the Daily Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9345086/The-worlds-fattest-countries-how-do-you-compare.html

The world's fattest countries: how do you compare?

The average weight of an adult human is 137 pounds (62 kg) according to a league table of the world's 'fattest' nations from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Find out how you compare to other adults using our interactive graphic.

The pacific island nations of Micronesia and Tonga are at the top of the league table, followed closely by the United States where the average adult weighs 180.62 pounds (81.93 kg).

The United Kingdom is the tenth fattest country in the world, where an average adult weighs 167.1 pounds (75.8 kg).

The study, published in the journal BMC Public Health and launched on Monday at the United Nations conference Rio+20, highlights the problem of obesity in relation to the environment.

Excess consumption shortens people's lives and accelerates the destruction of the environment, and is concentrated in richer countries.

While the average body mass globally was 62 kg, North Americans weigh in at 81.9 kg.

And while the US makes up only five per cent of the world's population, it accounts for almost a third of the world’s weight due to obesity.

In comparison, Asia has 61 per cent of the world’s people but only 13 per cent of the world’s weight.

However get this. Asians while having the lowest BMI but they have the highest body fat percentage among all races. They weigh less not because they don't eat crap but because of their naturally smaller frame plus lower bone density. That's the reason why WHO made a separate BMI standard for Asians.

A lot of Asian foods are actually notorious for high calories, high GI (such as white rice being the staple food) & high in fat so to say that they don't get fat because they eat a special diet is a BS. Good examples are many of the Chinese, Filipino & Indian foods.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Height should be an important factor in this.

I agree people in Asia are much shorter on average which may help explain at least to an extent the drastic weight difference. Not completely but still a factor.
  • rocakes
    rocakes Posts: 44
    Options
    You are roughly the same weight as the average adult in Finland
    You're lighter than the average adult in 26 countries You're heavier than the average adult in 151 countries
    Being heavier than 151 countries isn't an ego boost..SMH
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    saving this for later
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    And while the US makes up only five per cent of the world's population, it accounts for almost a third of the world’s weight due to obesity.

In comparison, Asia has 61 per cent of the world’s people but only 13 per cent of the world’s weight.

This proves nothing except that statistics can be manipulated to bolster any POV.

As an adult male at 185 cm, 62 kg would be borderline for an unhealthy maintenance weight.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' tall. I call shenanigans on me even trying, because it says I am fatter than the average American. NOT POSSIBLE! LOL
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Height should be an important factor in this.

Exactly. Because Americans may be more obese, on average, than a lot of countries, but we're also taller. When I lived in Brazil, I was taller than everyone, but here in America, I'm average. I'm also taller than any Asian I've ever met (I haven't me Yao Ming).

I will never, not matter how skinny I get, be at the world average weight. If I got to 170 lbs, I'd look Anorexic. I'd have to lose all muscle mass. A healthy weight for me is closer to 190. By your statistics, I would still be obese.
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i am 136. right below average. i can live with that :)
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and weigh MORE than the top one.. :indifferent:

I must say this motivates me even more!!

Especially since I'm watching The Men Who Made Us Fat as well :laugh: This is just a clip from the start of the show http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18490459
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    grr I want to do this but my silly workplace won't let me - so bump to try it at home :smile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I think it is 13% of the World's excess weight, not total weight
    No, I believe it does mean total weight, same as the US stat.

There's 1.33 billion people in china.
    There's .3 billion people in America

If the average person in China weighed 75lbs, then the entire chinese people would weigh 50,186,000 tons.
    If the average person in America weighed 200lbs, then the entire american people would weigh 31,100,000 tons.

So it can't be a total weight measure by any means. =)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My CW is 1 & 1/2 people of Finland.
    My UGW is about the South Korea range.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im roughly around the same weight as the average adult in Algeria. Im lighter than the average adult in 112 countries and heavier than the average adult in 65 countries. Pretty interesting stuff! Wish I could have been apart of the research for this study!!!
    Options

By the way when you say Asia, you mean those in the far east such as China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong & South East Asia right? Because Indians & Middle Easterners, while technically considered Asians, doesn't have the same body type than those living in the far east.
  • saraya12
    saraya12 Posts: 13
    Options
    Same as the average adult in Syria. Lighter than 90 countries, heavier than 87 countries. Close to the middle of the range!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Tanzania!
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest I weighed the same as an average adult in Greece, lighter than average adult in 12 countries & heavier than 165 countries. Right now I weigh the same as an average adult in Burundi & Madagascar. Lighter than average adult in 164 countries & heavier than 13 countries.
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Haha Im too fat to belong to any of the countries on there.:blushing: I guess i need my own island, lol. Anyone wanna move in?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sorry...deleted post. opened mouth before reading through:blushing:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Between Comoros and Haiti here.

Interesting OP!! :flowerforyou: