Do you "check in" when your weight goes up?

Options

Replies

• slick8086
    slick8086 Posts: 6
    Options
    I track my weight on another site so I only log it when it goes down here.

I would log both here if:

1) This site interfaced with my withings scale
    or
    2) this site showed trend and weighted average.

Since those are important to me I track them some where else.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I log every Friday regardless
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Always... Whether I gain or lose, I always update my weight.
    1. I stay accountable to myself,
    2. It takes all the power away from the scale. I don't allow the scales to intimidate me. If I don't fess up to my mess up, it has that power... :wink:
    3. I can keep track of my progress when I log it. :smile:
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I weigh every day to monitor myself. I do not add the ups though. It usually goes back down and then some. I have to do better on weekends for sure. I dread Monday's. I'm the only one in my family making changes and that makes it hard.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    whenever I weigh in I will put true weight because this will show me if there is a pattern (like around tom...etc)
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    just the losses. lol
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You bet. It keeps me in check.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I only record the losses, as MFP will record the gains, and when you loss that 2lb's again, MFP puts that into my total lost. So if I'm at 24lb lost, gain 2, log it, then loss 2 again, it now shows that I have lost 26lb's, I only want to see the actual amount I'm down from the beginning.

Er - MFP doesn't work like this. Your Total pounds lost at any given time is the difference between your starting weight and your current weight. Pretty straightforward.

If you lost 24, gained 2 then lost those 2, your total pounds lost would still be 24 because you're 24 pounds down from your starting weight - NOT 26. I've logged losses and gains often, and have never seen it double-count losses like you describe.

Edited to add: It WILL post to your feed that you've lost those 2 lbs again (because technically you did lose them again) but it doesn't count them in your total.
  • HazelElfwand
    Options
    yes I do!
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I log in on my official weigh in day whether it is up or down. Then, if it was up and I re-lose that weight, I delete the post on my feed that says "mommaski has lost xlbs". I feel guilty getting congratulated on taking off a a gain.

That said, I do like to see my trends, what happens after drinking alcohol (I retain water for 3 days), what happens after too much sodium (retain for 2 days), etc. So I post my daily weight in the comments section of my food log.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I really messed up this last couple weeks. So I was up about ten pounds!! So I had to be true to myself and record it. I want to see that weight go away!!
    I guess if it was a pound or two, I never would record it.

This^

I have been only recording the losses and I think it is a good policy. However, I too really messed up and added about 5 pounds. I just changed my weight to reflect that. Being so far from where I needed to be to earn my rewards (I get a girly reward for every 5 pounds) was starting to make me feel hopeless. So I would say only record your losses, unless you have slipped so far off that you need a reality check.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I only record the losses, as MFP will record the gains, and when you loss that 2lb's again, MFP puts that into my total lost. So if I'm at 24lb lost, gain 2, log it, then loss 2 again, it now shows that I have lost 26lb's, I only want to see the actual amount I'm down from the beginning.

This did not happen to me. I record all loss or gain. I gained 5lbs in April. MFP changed my pounds list back to 6. I have since lost the 5lbs and it now says 11lbs lost. Not 16.

I record every Sunday.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    At first I only checked in with losses. Now I do gains too. The first time I did it, I could feel my fingers shake pushing the "enter" button and it made me very sad, but I gained because of unhealthful choices and not working out. I only record once a week. It keeps me honest and lets me know where I DON'T want to go again.
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid problems so my weight fluctuates all the time. I weigh every day but I only record a loss when I see one. If I weigh and the scale says 205. and the next day 206 I dont record it but wait till the next day. If It would say 204,2 I would record it as my low weight. So every time I have a new low weight it is recorded and appreciated.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I note the gains. Otherwise you keep yourself in denial. Use the site right or don't use it at all.

Denial? Oh eff no, that is the LAST thing I am in when I "don't use the site right". I don't use this site to make friends or have people tell me good job. It is for myself. Since I am the one who is butt *kitten* naked on that scale in the morning you can be sure that if I see an increase that I am NOT in denial.

I record my losses. :)
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    I have been but not happy about it. :)
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, every day gets logged, regardless of the direction.
  • prose114
    prose114 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Both. I like to see where I messed up and record everything I do and eat each day, so it allows me to see what works and doesn't for me.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    perhaps you guys should only weigh in once per week and log it either way. I think being accountable, even if by strangers, is very helpful.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I note the gains. Otherwise you keep yourself in denial. Use the site right or don't use it at all.

Use it 'right' or don't use it at all?

Wow. That's pretty... hardcore. Haha.