At what size is it okay to start working in a gym?

Options

Replies

• LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No, actually it is discrimination. i didn't say it was a protected status law wise, but the definition of discrimination is just what the OP is experiencing.

And yes it is a business, but personally I wouldn't spend my dollars at a gym that treated people like that . Being fit and healthy is important. It really is, and I get that, but it's not worth treating those not fit and healthy as less than. Getting a job somewhere, anywhere shouldn't be determined on your looks. And yes, I would go to a salon with someone I thought had bad hair. Know why? Perhaps it's the latest style and I just hate it. Or perhaps they're having a bad hair day, which happens to us all. Besides, I assume that anyone that works in a gym is probably using the facilities too, and if I did come across someone overweight working at one, I would assume they were simply in the process of losing weight. I would never say "well she's just fat, so this treadmill doesn't work, but I bet the gym down the street that has the exact same treadmill but a skinny person behind the counter, now THAT one works."

Because that's stupid and asinine.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think that they should've allowed you to work there. You're obviously working out getting in shape so it might actually be motivational or inspirational to other people at the gym. It could possibly open up clients who are scared to go to the gym because they're embarrassed. Good for you for trying though!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    No, actually it is discrimination. i didn't say it was a protected status law wise, but the definition of discrimination is just what the OP is experiencing.

And yes it is a business, but personally I wouldn't spend my dollars at a gym that treated people like that . Being fit and healthy is important. It really is, and I get that, but it's not worth treating those not fit and healthy as less than. Getting a job somewhere, anywhere shouldn't be determined on your looks. And yes, I would go to a salon with someone I thought had bad hair. Know why? Perhaps it's the latest style and I just hate it. Or perhaps they're having a bad hair day, which happens to us all. Besides, I assume that anyone that works in a gym is probably using the facilities too, and if I did come across someone overweight working at one, I would assume they were simply in the process of losing weight. I would never say "well she's just fat, so this treadmill doesn't work, but I bet the gym down the street that has the exact same treadmill but a skinny person behind the counter, now THAT one works."

Because that's stupid and asinine.

Thats great, but if everyone thought as rationally as you advertising and marketing wouldnt work. derp
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    This is not unexpected and totally reasonable. A health club should only hire fit employees.
    Would you ever hire a fat personal trainer or nutritional consultant? I hope not!
    We must produce fruit in our own lives before reaching out to others. We can't give away what we do not have.
    A business like a health club needs to project an image of success in every way, starting with its employees.
    I am not trying to be unkind, but this is how life works.
    Nobody is entitled to employment.
    Buck up, stay on track and get fit yourself. Our bodies are the one thing we have the most control of in this life. If we master that, people like us more. If we make a mess of our health due to poor decisions and undisciplined living, that speaks volumes as well. People will judge us, and they should.
    That's reality.
    Don't let this get you down; suck it up, and keep punching. Think of how far you have come.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

I agree with this. Then again I used to work at a luxury gym here in the States when I was 20 lbs overweight. But, unfortunately I carry weight well and I looked proportioned. After taking free classes, I dropped weight as well so it worked for me.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting a personal trainer who is in good shape. I had a horrible experience with a trainer at one of the chain gyms she tried to call me "skinny fat" & got really pissed when I kicked her butt throughout the entire fitness assessment. Needless to say I didn't join the gym. But the person working behind the front desk? Really? That's kinda extreme. Besides, what does size have to do with fitness level? I may look skinny and scrawny but I'm actually very fit for my size. If they were so concerned about your level of fitness why didn't they make a fitness assessment part of the application? For example: you must be able to do x amount of sit ups to get this job.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    At my gym in the US, there are no overweight people working...be it front desk, trainers or mangers.. every last one of them is fit and attractive.. as it should be.

yes, as it should be. Because the world revolves around perfection and instead of embracing our differences and diversity as being beautiful and unique, and bringing to the table, more than a pretty face, we should definitely continue to perpetuate the myth that only the fit and very attractive are worthy.

/sarcasm

ugh, the people in this thread are being insufferable.

it is a business that is out there to make money. you wouldn't staff a hair salon with people with horrible hair, would you? yes, discrimination sucks, but this is not discrimination. this is a business.

Do most hair stylists cut their own hair? Probably not. Yes its a business but its not like the only people going to the gym are going to be skinny anyway.

No, I wouldn't hire an overweight trainer because I'm already in good shape and know my way around the gym. I also wouldn't hire a female trainer as well because I think they'll work me out "like a girl".

Someone obese might be more comfortable with an overweight trainer though. They might see it as being a more realistic goal for them. If I was 50lbs overweight I would be very intimidated by a super model for a trainer. I would never be able to see myself getting there.
    when I hire anybody for anything, I hire the best.
    And for fitness training I only hire those who have results themselves. Why hire a failure to teach me how to succeed?
    Makes no sense...

Failure in what way? Someone who's been thin their whole life has no experience at weight loss really. They can't relate to their overweight clientele so they don't even know what its like to have failing as a possible outcome.

Isn't a skinny fat trainer a failure too?
    Of course he is.
    Why would you even ask? Again, if I hire a trainer, he must have achieved results himself.
    Same for financial planning. I won't be running to a crash course in banking taught by the Kardashians...lol
    Or how about entrepreneurship taught by Hulk Hogan?
    Hulk Hogan just can't stop churning out the junk. From his own George Foreman Grill rip-off to disgusting energy drinks, the fake wrestler jumps from one failure to another.
    Back to our topic...it's not wrong to expect a personal trainer to be in peak physical condition.
    You don't go to a failure to learn success.

Thats exactly my point. If the OP was skinny but never had to work for it she wouldnt have to deal with the discrimination. Being small alone doesnt make a person fit thats why it isnt fair. Usually when I see women trainers they tend to be cardio fanatics without an ounce of muscle. This person never seems to have an issue being hired at the gym. Yet the person working at getting fit and knowing the struggles has no place at all in the gym youre saying? I wonder if the janitors have to look fit too in that case
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When I read the title i thought it was what size to start working out in a gym and I was gonna say RIGHT NOW whatever size you are... but wow.. that's just even more ridiculous.

Sounds like that gym only cares about eye candy and not getting people in better shape. I would promptly apply for a job at whatever gym is their biggest competitor... absolutely ridiculous.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about in your country, but that's illegal here. If you're working there, you can use their equipment and be fit and healthy which would be the best sales pitch one can offer.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I applied in a gym in March for a receptionist position, whilst studying my Fitness course. I got an email back, a month after the interview saying I was not successful. I talked to a friend of mine who also works there and she was told by her manager they would have hired me, I seemed like a smart, intelligent, young girl but they didn't like that I was "too big" and would "not be a good advertisement for the gym."

Yeah, I understand that you need to be visibly fit but at a size 12 it's not like I'm humongous either.

What size is it okay to start working in a gym?

I ask because I have just gained my cert 3 in Fitness but I am scared if I go apply to work on a gym floor somewhere they are all gonna turn me down cos of my size.

They are just being jerks. I worked at 24 Hour Fitness (a national chain of Fitness Centers) as a size 24, and the customers were actually HAPPY to see me because I was less intimidating to work out in front of.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This is not unexpected and totally reasonable. A health club should only hire fit employees.
    Would you ever hire a fat personal trainer or nutritional consultant? I hope not!
    We must produce fruit in our own lives before reaching out to others. We can't give away what we do not have.
    A business like a health club needs to project an image of success in every way, starting with its employees.
    Buck up, stay on track and get fit yourself. Our bodies are the one thing we have the most control of in this life. If we master that, people like us more. If we make a mess of our health due to poor decisions and undisciplined living, that speaks volumes as well. People will judge us, and they should.
    That's reality.
    Don't let this get you down; suck it up, and keep punching. Think of how far you have come.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

No, discrimination is NEVER acceptable. She is a qualified applicant. Being turned down for size is discrimination. Period. Everyone wants to raise a stink for having religious exclusions for hiring or gender exclusions. This is no different. She is fit, she is active, she has the training. Why is it acceptable to not let her work based on her size?
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Too big at a UK size 10?! I have to say I am very shocked. I'm currently a UK 14-16 and I would LOVE to be a size 10 - that's not "too big" at all. I think that's really out of order for them to do that and I'm sure that can be legally classed as discrimination and goes against equal ops, etc.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I applied in a gym in March for a receptionist position, whilst studying my Fitness course. I got an email back, a month after the interview saying I was not successful. I talked to a friend of mine who also works there and she was told by her manager they would have hired me, I seemed like a smart, intelligent, young girl but they didn't like that I was "too big" and would "not be a good advertisement for the gym."

Yeah, I understand that you need to be visibly fit but at a size 12 it's not like I'm humongous either.

I ask because I have just gained my cert 3 in Fitness but I am scared if I go apply to work on a gym floor somewhere they are all gonna turn me down cos of my size.

They can't discriminate like that, and it was very thoughless of your friend to pass that information onto you. Now you don't have a job and you feel awful. Who exactly did her telling you help?
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Back to the actual post... can someone let me know at what size I should be before I start applying then? How much more I should lose before thinking of finding a job???

Well, if you take the time to apply again, and can get in for an interview, you need to sell your current size as a benefit. Sell them on the idea that you can sell prospective gym members on how much weight you lost to get where you are and how they can do the same.
  • rumpusparable
    Options

Personally. I'd consider the merits of suing. This is ridiculous.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    Yeah, that is totally bogus! It is discriminatory. At the gym chain I belong to, here in Los Angeles, we have all shapes, sizes and ages who work there.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Back to the actual post... can someone let me know at what size I should be before I start applying then? How much more I should lose before thinking of finding a job???
    Just keep applying. Are there any employers in your area that perform fitness tests? That could help overcome the stigma.

She has to take a fitness test to work as receptionist?? insane.

The people operating that gym are *kitten*.
  • danahake
    danahake Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a size 12. It is said to be the average size for the american woman. If you are qualified apply there should'nt be a weight limit..
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    That's reality.
    You are doing GREAT!
    All Is Possible!

No, discrimination is NEVER acceptable. She is a qualified applicant. Being turned down for size is discrimination. Period. Everyone wants to raise a stink for having religious exclusions for hiring or gender exclusions. This is no different. She is fit, she is active, she has the training. Why is it acceptable to not let her work based on her size?
    Of course it is.
    Employers must discriminate. We all do.
    You discriminate against people you find ugly when it comes to dating, marriage or starting a family.
    Businesses discriminate against those who are not qualified to do the job.
    Let's live in the real world here.
    Discrimination becomes wrong only when some standard is used that goes against the laws of the land: race, gender, religion...ect...
    Sorry, obesity is not a victim class yet. Instead of cursing the darkness, use that passion and energy to better yourself, knowing most of the world is not going to accept us fat. As an obese man, I am announcing to the world that I do not have my act together.
    That's reality.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First, great job to you for earning your certification! Secondly, your friend was honest with you about why you didn't get the job but she didn't do you any favors in doing so. Third, I don't know what the UK discrimination laws are but you should find out and do your own due diligence by speaking to someone in authority about it. NO ONE has the right to deny someone ANYTHING (ie a job) when they are rightly credentialed and eager to work and the job is available. You were clearly discriminated against and should not let them get away with it.

On a more positive note, you probably don't want to work for that manager anyway so count yourself lucky. Continue on your weight loss journey and education. You will get there if you put your mind to it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this place sounds like the abercrombie and fitch of gyms..

you can always come to the US. i've seen plenty of overweight receptions and non PT staff at gyms i've belonged to