Personal trainer here to say hi and help you

Options

Replies

• kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have a few quick questions for you, I am trying to lose a lot of weight at the moment but finding exercising difficult as even though I am only 30 I have arthritis in both hips (right is worse) knees, shoulders and wrists so although I can exercise for a time it is diffiuclt when I have a real flair up of pain - what activities would you suggest for me to try? I am in the UK by the way. Thanks ever so much for your help.

Poor thing! arthritis at 30!!!!

I would cut out wheat immediately. At least try to it out for 2weeks, can't hurt, see how it decreases the flare-ups.
  • chocobis09
    chocobis09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Brian, I am aiming to lose 80 lbs and I am at the beginning of this journey. How important is it to add strength training right now? and how often? I haven't been doing any, just cardio. I usually use an elliptical machine, walking and I do zumba.
  • Blondeone10
    Options
    OMG! I am sure we will all keep you busy:flowerforyou:
    I broke a couple of ribs over a year ago and it really slowed me down. I didn't snowboard at all this past season and as I jump into some training DVDs I realize similar moves. I turned 50 recently and have found it really difficult to drop the 25 lbs.
    I started walking again (Zumba hurt my knee and ankle on left side) for 45 minuets at 4mph four times a week and added resistant band along with a 15 minute workout DVD.
    I love to cook and be creative and think I am conscious about what I eat. I work for a Non Profit and find myself working through lunch and 30 minutes to an hour late at least 3 days a week.
    Okay WELCOME!!!!! I NEED A SOUNDING BOARD.
  • mi_lady
    mi_lady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics - my gym has classes in a warm water therapy pool thst are awesome.
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hi Brian, very nice of you to offer free training advice, but don't you think you may have bitten off more than you can chew? There are thousands of people on this site, and personal trainers are expensive, so no doubt many are going to jump on your offer. Just curious, what are your credentials? I'm no expert, but aren't you a little worried about offering advice to people who you've never worked with, whose bodies and abilities you know nothing about? Another question...looking over your diet log for the past week, I see you eat a lot of processed foods and no vegetables (except the one day you ate 1/4 cup of canned corn). That just doesn't seem very healthy to me.

Sorry to be so skeptical...after many years on the Interwebz, I can't help it...

Sabina
  • 31beautiful
    Options
    Hello and thanks for having the heart to want to help the community. In the last 15 days I have changed the way I eat and am trying to implement exercise in my daily routine. I have a 12 hour sit down job, my drive to work is 1 hour each way, not including hour preparation to dress and dress down. ok, that 16 hours of my day, i may get 8 hours of sleep. I work 5 days on, 5 days off, 2 days on and 2 days off. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have begun to take 15min breaks, 3 times a work day to walk the halls at my job. I have also begun to use the stationay bicycles and trend mill when I am off to exercise. I would love to get some feed back that will help me in this process. OH YEAH; I HAVE LOSS 5 LBS WITHIN THE 15 DAYS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi Brian and thank you so much for wanting to help us all with input and advice. I am doing the 30 day shred and am finding my wrists are a bit on the weak side for the push-ups. Do you have anything that would strengthen my wrists? Thank you again for your help.
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for putting yourself out there for everyone. I have a lot of weight to lose and I am currently doing cardio but I want to start some strengh training. Every keeps talking about circuits but I don't know where to start. Can you give me some suggestions on what machines I should be using or in what order? Are you suppose to rotate between legs and arms on different days or can you work everything in one workout??

Thanks for this, my lack of knowledge is keeping me from trying anything at the gym.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    bumping ..... and welcome :drinker:
  • meewii
    meewii Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Thanks for helping others :)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to tighten up everything before my wedding (six weeks away), and have recently switched to a grain-free diet (with sugar only from 2-3 servings of fruit per day, and I try to practice "clean eating"). I've been focusing on circuit training since it still has a cardio component, and will usually do one day of circuits, one day of yoga, and one rest day (and repeat). I REALLY want to get rid of this last bit of belly fat. Do you have any suggestions as to how to improve my routine, or changes I should be making?

Thank you!
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi nice to meet you welcome to the forums.

I am active at my gym ( one month) in the weight machines (Cybex) 30 Min Circuit Room at Planet Fitness. I also use the recumbent bike for 20 mins with 2 Peaks of Peak Fitness 2 times a week, and walk around the rest of the week. I was wondering what can I do to strengthen my back - both upper and lower? I am using an incline bench at nearly full incline for small crunches because I can't do a full crunch yet and a standup bar you hang from pulling your legs up to do a crunch. I cannot do anything on the floor like crunching due to my Fibromyalgia :grumble: it flares the pain up.

Thank you for your help! :happy:
  • brianj1988
    brianj1988 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your greeting and like I said, if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them in my inbox. If you already asked something, just copy and paste it to me. Time to eat!
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a devise for listening to music (mp3, smart phone, ipod, etc) to distract your mind. I do agree when one focuses too much on the END of the exercise session it can lead to a discouraging session. Music will allow your mind to drift into the message of the song and allow your session to seem faster and more pleasant.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do you have any suggestions for a new runner (just hit running 30 minutes straight at a slow pace for the 1st time on Friday) in how to shut up the brain? I find that I spend too much time wondering how long I've run, how much longer I have to go, how many times I've gone around the track (when I'm on the track), etc. It makes for a miserable workout but I just can't get my brain to shut up.

I would recommend a devise for listening to music (mp3, smart phone, ipod, etc) to distract your mind. I do agree when one focuses too much on the END of the exercise session it can lead to a discouraging session. Music will allow your mind to drift into the message of the song and allow your session to seem faster and more pleasant.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hiya - Welcome to the site :smile:

Just one question - I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred (although, getting slightly bored of it!) and I was wondering if you had any other home workout ideas (Can't afford to go to the gym) - and I've only got a set of 2.5lb weights and 3kg weights, but I really want to work on getting rid of my "bingo wings" and get some form of definition in my arms - any ideas, I'd be most grateful - thanks very much :smile:
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    Hi there! I'd love a little help too... I've been doing straight cardio 6 days a week for almost a year now and I know I need to add strength to it...but I don't know how or what or how much..I'm a member of a really nice gym and they have lots of cool equipment, but I don't even go up there..I do Zumba and I know very little about any of the stuff upstairs (where all of the equipment is) and it intimidates me. I would so appreciate any help..thank you!! ):
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brianj1988
    brianj1988 Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm trying to get to everyone's questions. I'm glad to help you all.