Physical activity you don't log????

Options

Replies

• shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options

! - yesterday my boyfriend literally spent 3 + hours at the Mall walking around, I didn't log any of it
    2 - vacumning, sweeping, grocery shopping, laundry
    3 - sex :blushing:

All of the above! If it doesn't involve me wearing workout clothes, I usually don't log it(:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If I don't perform the activity specifically to burn calories, I don't bother logging it.

I like this approach a lot.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I don't log any "everyday" activity, only an intentional workout. That means gym clothes on, focused and sweating for a certain amt. of time.

Have never understood why people log cleaning the house, unless it's their profession and they're busting their hump, or moving day or something major.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I dont log anything I do at work because it is in my normal routine. I also dont log cleaning unless it is spring cleaning and that means washing down wall and alot of physical work.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    3 - sex :blushing:

I so log sex, if it's worth having, I burnt some calories!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I log cleaning but only the vigorous stuff (but record it as light). I don't record walking around with my kids, the soccer practices I coach (demonstrate drills), light cleaning, sex (although it can be very vigorous exercise....lol), etc.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning (even though I do quite a bit of climbing and running around)... I don't log shopping or cooking or carrying my 20 lb child or gardening... I really only log my actual exercise.... but that's my choice... and I don't belittle anyone that chooses to count everything under the sun outside of mere breathing.

eta: I also don't log the 8+ hours that I choose to stand at work (seeing as I work at a computer desk)...
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I log stuff over 10-15 minutes in length that is a departure from my normal sitting/hanging around the house/home office.

I'd do the "not if I sweat" thing but then I'd never log as I do not sweat. Not at all. I don't even "glisten" or "dew" lol.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I only log actual exercises, so I don't log when we spend a whole day at the amusement park and had to hold my kids because they don't want to sit in the stroller.
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    But I did type in "sex" in the exercise section and was surprised it didn't have anything associated with it. It would get too confusing I guess...so many categories:

Top, missionary, very vigorous effort? lol
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    The only activity I DO log is running or whatever I do in the gym. The rest of it: cleaning, sitting, standing, or walking around an amusement park/mall just doesn't count.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere (I don't drive) including to the grocery store and back, and never log it.

I must walk more than 20 miles a week, plus 10 on the weekends.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning/housework, sex or yard work...I just consider all of those things a bonus. My main rule of thumb is that if doesn't require me to put on a sports bra...its not 'real' exercise.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't log things simply because I don't know how to classify them. I live in the country with about 1 acre of lawn to cut. I don't log that, or my gardening. How would that be rated? Also, when I chop firewood, how would you classify that?

When I walk to the corner and back (2 miles) I log that, but not the other stuff.

Chopping wood is in the database, so is mowing the lawn, gardening isn't but unless you are doing some serious hoeing I wouldn't count it.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If I have to put on my workout shoes (since I walk outside for 3 miles sometimes instead of going to the gym), I log it. I only wear those shoes to workout. I don't wear them for anything else. Otherwise, I don't. Shopping, cleaning, organizing my art room (which is taking forever lol), laundry, cooking (which can take hours), etc do not get logged.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Did I get fat doing housework? Grocery shopping? Having boom boom? Yes. So I don't log it.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I log is the exercise that requires me to put workout gear on and I acknowledge that what I am doing is purely for exercise purposes. Everything else that "may or may not" burn some extra cals is just considered a little bonus.

Edited to add:

So I don't log walking from my desk to the printer, standing, sex, eating, driving, sleeping, shopping, house-cleaning, etc.

Ditto for me. Even if I work up a little sweat doing some other little thing I don't log it, even though my goals are set to sedentary. I just count those as extras lol. I worked up a bit of a sweat yesterday changing a flat tire (not to mention got all grubby and dirty from it), but it didn't even occur to me to log that as exercise.
  • 2legit_2quit
    2legit_2quit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I go for walks with my dog, teach dance, and do yard work but I don't log anything that isn't done on purpose to burn calories unless it's some sort of sport. I just don't trust that it burns as many calories as it says it does.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I log anything that was meant to be only for exercise, plus a couple specific things like swimming, simply because I swim a lot and it does burn a significant amount of calories--and mixed in with my "having fun in the pool" is legit exercise--I intentionally stay in the deep end of the pool and keep moving my legs and arms as much as possible. If I take a walk for fun, and it's over a mile of walking, or 40 minutes of walking at a fast-ish pace, I'll log that. I log DDR if we play for more than half an hour or if it's workout mode, and I'll log Wii Fit exercise. Just common sense things. If I feel like it burns a significant amount of calories past what I normally burn (lifestyle on MFP set to sedentary), I'll log it. If it doesn't then I won't.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    1. Walking to work 5 days a week. - Its accounted for in my TDEE
    2. A little extra walking if I make a side trip on the way home from work. - The extra burned calories will wash out with minor food dairy mistakes.
    3. Sex - Again its part of life and my TDEE
    4. Taking the stairs, unless its a stair workout where I am running up and down stairs for an extended period of time (20 minutes or more)
    5. Any activity where my average heart rate is below 125 BPM (50% MHR) - I get there with a very brisk walk on level ground.

#5 covers a lot of the common hot button activities people comment about... Cleaning, Walking around the mall, etc.

I don't try to tell anyone what to do. If you log some of these things and are still meeting your goals, then keep on doing it. If you log these things and aren't meeting your goals, its something to consider.