A Tip for (wanting-to-be) Morning Exercisers

Options

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    great tip! and if you want to prank each other why don't you hide the bar code so that the other person is not able to scan it, what happens then? :)

Haha, that would be funny! But we both have really annoying alarms so that we want to make it stop as soon as possible- pranking one of us would be torturing BOTH of us, lol!
  • Bmunoz67
    Bmunoz67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this awesome tip!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    We gave a nephew a graduation present from Sharper Image that was an alarm clock that when it went off it shot a spinning helicopter like devise into the air and would fly around 10-12'. The person had to retrieve it and put it back on the alarm clock in order for it to shut off, no snooze button. It had some very annoying alarms too.

I think your cell phone app is much better because you can set it up that you must travel a greater distance. I wouldn't be able to use it though, my wife would kill me if my alarm went off for that long! Mine goes off and I've got it turned off in 5-10 seconds and I'm an early and easy riser.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY need this app, and thank you very much for sharing, but the truth is, I would probably end up just throwing my phone.
  • ljplunkett
    ljplunkett Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much!!! If I can just get out of bed, I've got it made!!!
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful! But I am afraid it would end up waking the kids up before I got it off.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is when i wish i had a kick butt phone. I am still old school and just have a normal boring phone. No smart phone here,but I would love to get one :)
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That is really cool, I need to get that app!! Thank you for posting!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    see I go for a morning jog every other day and then run after work just to wake up in the morning and to get a nice little exercise in
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this tip. I definitely need it. I'll be trying this in the morning.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    great idea

thanks
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think this just might convince me to need a smart phone.........
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not alone when I say that getting up extra early to work out can be HARD!!! It's so easy to just roll over and hit "snooze." My fiance, who is way better at this routine than I am, recommended an app to me called "I Can't Wake Up!" I tried it today and loved it.

The basic feature is your typical phone alarm (you can use any ringtone or song from your playlist), but it also features options to have to complete a task before your alarm will stop going off. You can't even hit "snooze" without completing the task. We both like using the "barcode task" best. (There are also tasks where you would do a math problem, solve a puzzle, etc., if you need something that makes you use your brain a bit).

I took the barcode from the package of an item and put it on the fridge in the kitchen. Every morning when the alarm goes off, I have to get up, go "all the way" to the kitchen, and scan the barcode to make the alarm stop. I could hit snooze at that point, but I'm already up and nowhere near the bed so it makes it much easier to just get my workout clothes on and GO. If you're a coffee drinker, set the coffee-maker to brew 10 minutes earlier than your alarm goes off- then when you go to scan your barcode, you're welcomed with a nice fresh pot of wake-up juice!

Today is the first time I used this app and it's the first time in years I've gotten up without hitting snooze even once! I actually was able to work out the full 30 minutes I had planned since I didn't run late and got to the gym as soon as it opened!

I hope this helps anyone else who has a hard time getting up in the mornings!

So this app has cured your inability to get out of bed in the morning...

...for ONE day in a row. Hmmm, you might need just a few more data points before you declare this app an absolute success.

That said, it does sound like an interesting concept. Personally, I have found great success with the "go to sleep earlier" approach. If this app stops working for you, give that a try.

And in case I sound like a jerk...(and re-reading my message, I'm pretty sure I did)...here's a smiley to make everything better:

=D
  • Jjmcgaffey
    Jjmcgaffey Posts: 15
    Options
    There's another app - for Android, I don't know if it's on iOS - called Gentle Alarm. It's got two tricks. One I don't use is the "solve a puzzle to shut off the alarm" one - though it doesn't have the neat barcode idea, just (I think) math puzzles. But the trick I do use is that it sets off a very quiet alarm half an hour before the alarm you set. The idea is that most people, by the end of the night, are in a 30-minute cycle of deep and light sleep - so either the pre-alarm or the full alarm will go off while you're in light sleep, which makes it _much_ easier to wake up. It works less well if you're chronically sleep-deprived - but I'm a night person who barely drags herself out of bed in the mornings, and even though I've consciously heard the pre-alarm less than 10 times in the four months I've had this app as my alarm clock, I'm waking up at a decent hour almost every morning and really waking up, not just dragging myself out of bed.

It comes in a free version with full functionality EXCEPT it doesn't ring any alarms on Wednesdays. I used that one for a week, then bought it (even though the free version would have done all I needed - just set another alarm on Wednesday. But I wanted to support the developer).

You can set the volume of the alarm and the pre-alarm separately; there are lots of rings for the alarm, or you can set it to play your own music (from a playlist or a genre or a particular song or...). The main alarm fades in over a period that's also adjustable - default is 5 minutes. It's a great app. I'm going to suggest the scan-a-barcode task to him...
  • Jamotto
    Jamotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The only one I found for iPhone costs 99 cents, only does math problems, and apparently only has one alarm sound option. Has anyone found any others for iPhone? I was so excited! But the iPhone one doesn't sound anywhere near as cool :-(
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    LOL thank you! Sounds like the perfect app for me!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would probably break my phone throwing it across the room, but that sounds like a cool app. Reminds me of an alarm clock I saw on a Japanese website. It was set up to look like a bomb with four different colored wires on top. Each time it goes off you have to solve a problem to figure out which colored wire to pull out with a time limit. If you don't do it in time or pull the wrong wire, it will blast 3x louder and more annoying XD I really wanted to order it but they didn't ship internationally.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    trying this in the morning. thanks
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"So this app has cured your inability to get out of bed in the morning...

...for ONE day in a row. Hmmm, you might need just a few more data points before you declare this app an absolute success.

That said, it does sound like an interesting concept. Personally, I have found great success with the "go to sleep earlier" approach. If this app stops working for you, give that a try.

And in case I sound like a jerk...(and re-reading my message, I'm pretty sure I did)...here's a smiley to make everything better:

=D"
    [/quote]

Lol, I know, it's only been ONE day- but it still worked and I thought it could be helpful for people who have trouble getting up in the mornings for whatever reason. It might not work for everyone but I'm sure it will help some people. My fiance has been using it for a month and it works for him too. Going to bed early is really hard for both of us. He is working and in school until 10pm every night (and his school is over 30 minutes away) and has to leave the house by 7am to get to work on time. So after my uber-stressful 10-12+ workday, I take care of all the meals for the week, the dishes, our garden, our pets, my laundry, etc., and then I try to get at least 30 minutes of wedding planning in. We do what we can on weekends but that's when I'm running errands, going grocery shopping, visiting potential weddings venues, etc. I try to get to bed by 10 and be up by 5 and when I do that, getting up is a little less difficult. But it's still not easy and getting 7 hours isn't always possible.

So you have some good points and I wish it were that easy for me but right now, it's not. Maybe someday :smile: