I really want to donate blood but......

Options
13»

Replies

• JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I've donated a number of times, I almost passed out the first time, they had to lay me down and put a fan on me. I didn't think I would ever do it again, but I make sure that I drink lots of water and eat a good breakfast before I go. So far, every other time has been fine. I usually bring someone with me just in case.

Donating blood saves lives, my daughter needed blood when she was 10 months old for a major surgery she had on her skull...I was not a match, so this is how I gave back, someone helped my baby girl so I wanted to help out as well.
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    I used to donate regularly when I was younger. The last time I donated I passed out, they had to call my husband to pick me up and take me home and I was so weak I couldn't sit upright for 4 days. I'm on the thanks but no thanks list now. :-( I actually miss doing it and have thought about tempting fate but hubby forbids it now.
    If it did a number on me like that I would probably avoid it too. It was just a quick minute that I was out but I woke up and started crying because I was so scared. I was fine afterward.
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    The best thing to do is to let them know what happened the last time and also NOT to watch when they stick you with the needle. Also try to take someone supportive along with you. Its summer time and donations are low so try to donate if you can.
    Take a buddy! I like it! I will have to see who would be willing to do that for me...
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the blood, let them know, eat your treats, let them know if you feel funny, REMEMBER TO BREATHE (Talking or singing very quietly or even mouthing the words help this). when I've given in the past I have occasionally felt funny only to realize that I was subconsiously holding my breath for no apparent reason.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen too. I also get super tired for at least 2 wks after donating! Go ahead and drink plenty and eat before you go and take advantage of the drinks, snacks that they provide. I also take a multi-vitamin daily, that helps some.
    Do what I do and remind yourself that what you're doing is a wonderful thing, that your symptoms, even if you pass out, is NOTHING compared to the people who so desperately need your blood. It works for me and it's so worth it!
  • nibblypig
    nibblypig Posts: 27
    Options
    Take a friend with you for support and tell the nurse that you are nervous, when they're taking blood look away and blow out gently as if your blowing candles on a cake - works for me. Think positive! :)
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lived in England for 3 months, so I am not permitted by the Red Cross to give blood. I used to almost pass out, each time, but they would load me up with sweets and even walk me around.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    A few years back I passed out after I was done donating. It really frieked me out and now I am scared to do it again. I am O- which is a type that is used alot so I know that I should. They are having a drive today at State Fair Park and I want to feel confident that I can do it. When I passed out last time I had eaten in the morning and always drink lots of water. Is there some other words of advice that anyone can give? I know I should just do it and now that I know what it feels like to pass out I shouldn't be scared, but I am.

Wendy

I have been a paramedic for the past twenty-six years and worked for three years for Blood Donor Services at Saint Vincent Hospital in Worcester. My job was as a donor and apheresis technician. Simply put, I was the one collecting the blood and plasma.

What you want to do is first, make sure you can donate, all your worries are for nothing if you can't donate anyway. As you know, there are a lot of criteria that cause you to be deferred, either for a year, or for lifetime. For instance - tattoo's are a 1 year deferral. Once you know you can donate, you should prepare yourself well. For a day or two before your donation, planning on hyper-hydrating. Stick to water or natural juices and stay away from coffee or caffeine products. It is also good to eat foods high in iron for the days or week before your visit. The day of your donation, eat a regular breakfast or meal (don't fast or do a protein shake in place of food, or anything like that). When you get to the donor location, tell the donor tech that you have passed out in the past and let them know you want to do a slower donation and you want to donate lying flat or with your feet elevated (trendelenberg position), this help relieve the possability of a reaction. If the donor area is very warm or hot, ask them to put a fan blowing on you - hot environments increase the likelihood of a reaction. After the pint is taken, be sure to get up slowly and make sure you have plenty of juice and snacks before you leave - this is not a time for fasting (Lorna Doone's are awesome, but full of sugar).

Remember, just because you passed out once does not mean you will every time.

Steve
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really want to weigh 50kgs but im stopping at 53kgs because I still want to dont blood, I feel very strong about helping other people i eat healthy not only for my self but so one day when I do die my organs can save someone else life. If there is something you can do to stop fainting do it, you doing a wonderful thing by donating blood!
  • SKBrown76
    SKBrown76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have worked for a blood center for the past 6 years. If you are anxious or nervous about donating blood, or you haven't eaten a good meal and had plenty of fluids before you donate often times you will have a reaction and either faint or feel light-headed. My suggestion is to make sure you eat a healthy and good sized meal at least 1 hour before you go in to donate and also while you are there let the staff know that you had a problem the last time so they can better care for you during the process. At my blood center we often give donors a drink while they are donating and this serves a couple of purposes 1. It helps to rehydrate you. 2. It helps to keep your mind busy and off of what you are doing. If you start to feel light-headed or dizzy you can do what are called Applied Muscle Tension excercises. Mentally divide your body into 3 sections (chest and up, core, and hips down) alternate squeezing the muscles in each section and holding for 3 seconds then moving to the next section and doing the same, repeat the process over and over throughout.
    I know that alot of times people get discouraged when they have been turned down from donating but I would encourage you all to continue to try, even if you just make a phone call to see if you would be eligible before going in to the donation center. The FDA and AABB are constantly changing rules and regs and therefore the blood banks rules and regs change. For example if you have recieved a transfusion in the past it is only a 12 month waiting period, tattoos and piercings if they weren't done at a licensed facility are only a 12 month waiting period (at a licensed facility no waiting period at all). At this point in time there is no substitute for human blood and you never know when it will be you or a loved one that needs blood.
    I hope this helps and Good Luck!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i really want to skydive.. but i'm scared of heights....SO, I DON"T DO IT... ?? simple

Dont be a poosay.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    O- is the universal donor so if you can donate do so. I unfortunately keep testing out without enough iron in my blood to share. sigh, so next time I am spinach for several days in advance so I can donate. I am A- a relatively rare type.
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    A few years back I passed out after I was done donating. It really frieked me out and now I am scared to do it again. I am O- which is a type that is used alot so I know that I should. They are having a drive today at State Fair Park and I want to feel confident that I can do it. When I passed out last time I had eaten in the morning and always drink lots of water. Is there some other words of advice that anyone can give? I know I should just do it and now that I know what it feels like to pass out I shouldn't be scared, but I am.

Wendy

I have been a paramedic for the past twenty-six years and worked for three years for Blood Donor Services at Saint Vincent Hospital in Worcester. My job was as a donor and apheresis technician. Simply put, I was the one collecting the blood and plasma.

What you want to do is first, make sure you can donate, all your worries are for nothing if you can't donate anyway. As you know, there are a lot of criteria that cause you to be deferred, either for a year, or for lifetime. For instance - tattoo's are a 1 year deferral. Once you know you can donate, you should prepare yourself well. For a day or two before your donation, planning on hyper-hydrating. Stick to water or natural juices and stay away from coffee or caffeine products. It is also good to eat foods high in iron for the days or week before your visit. The day of your donation, eat a regular breakfast or meal (don't fast or do a protein shake in place of food, or anything like that). When you get to the donor location, tell the donor tech that you have passed out in the past and let them know you want to do a slower donation and you want to donate lying flat or with your feet elevated (trendelenberg position), this help relieve the possability of a reaction. If the donor area is very warm or hot, ask them to put a fan blowing on you - hot environments increase the likelihood of a reaction. After the pint is taken, be sure to get up slowly and make sure you have plenty of juice and snacks before you leave - this is not a time for fasting (Lorna Doone's are awesome, but full of sugar).

Remember, just because you passed out once does not mean you will every time.

Steve
    Thanks Steve! Very helpful!
  • mcknight28
    mcknight28 Posts: 44
    Options
    I think I will donate blood soon. I have a very rare blood type. -AB, blood is very hard to find. less than 1 % of the population has this blood type. Figured might as well donate blood, because maybe some day I will need it
  • JersryGirl31
    JersryGirl31 Posts: 167
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to donate. As others said, make sure you eat and hydrate before you give. Tell them you have had a problem in the past. Since you passed out when you sat up, it's also a good idea to drink or eat before you get up. Get up slowly. Take the extra time. You really are saving a life.
  • 76wendyful
    Options
    I have given it a lot of thought, and I am going to make an appointment with the blood center to donate. That way I am at an actual center and not inside of the fairgrounds. I know they are prepared, but I would feel better if it was done at the center. It is nice and close to my house and my daughter can take me. She is only 16 and I see that they are allowing 16 years olds to donate now with a parents permission. I think it would be good for her to see how it works.
  • JersryGirl31
    JersryGirl31 Posts: 167
    Options
    Please let us know if or when you give. I'd love to know how it goes.