2012 'The Class of Change' (150+lbs with pictures)

Options

Replies

• Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Outstanding result for outstanding effort!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Congrats!!! You have done such a wonderful job. You look like a totally different person!
  • uxbridgeheli
    Options
    Twit-twooo!!!
    Looking hot to trot!!
    Mega well done - you look fab!
    H x
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Great work! Congratulations on the fantastic change! :)
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Your look like a totally different person.
  • igloonorth
    Options
    Congratulations - you look fantastic and I can tell you feel that way too! :happy:
  • 4myhlth
    4myhlth Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for posting these! It is so hard for some of us to imagine that there will ever be a change and then to see yours is so inspirational. Congratulations, live life to its fullest!!
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress, you have the right to be very proud!!! U look great
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    Wow what an amazing story and tranformation to the man you were ment to be. I pray you will always remember that your inspiration was a group of young people that most had written off and I pray they remember the teacher that thought they were worth it. Congratulations on both of your life changing events.....you should be very proud:flowerforyou: thank you for sharing such a wonderful story and keep up the good work....you look great.
  • cdhaverland
    Options
    Well done sir, well done!
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job.
  • PennyLorraine
    PennyLorraine Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've done great!!! Congratulations!
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am a teacher so your story was very touching! You look fabulous and sooo much younger! Congratulations and best of luck to you on your life journey!
  • doxiegal13
    doxiegal13 Posts: 35
    Options
    How inspirational! You don't even look like the same person... Keep it up.
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You looked so different after losing that weight that it took me a few to figure out which person you were in that family picture. Congrats on your amazing accomplishment and a thank you for helping today's youth!
  • sibitalic
    sibitalic Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an accomplishment! Congratulations! Stories like this are a great motivation for us who are just at the begining of the weight loss journey!
    Thanks for sharing your story! :)
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    Today, I sat back and watched the grad class of 2012 complete their journey from K-12. Watching these young-adults move onto the next phase of their life (under the banner 2012 'The Class of Change') got me thinking about my own life.

Some quick background on my connection with these students (so you can follow my line of reasoning). Over the past six months I have worked intensely with a group of 25+ 'at-risk' grade 12 students. My directive, and my only directive, was to insure that as many of these students as possible graduated (and those that weren't going to be able to had a plan). Many of these students have dealt with more in their 17/18 years than most of us will experience in our entire lives. To see them rise to the challenge that I placed before them, and respond to the support that I provided them, has been truly inspirational. These students truly grasped the concept of change in a way that many of us can only imagine (from directionless and switched-off to purposeful and switched-on). Of the 25+ 'at-risk' students all but three walked across the stage today to receive their Diplomas (given that all of these students were, at the start of the year, considered long-shots to graduate...the change is quite remarkable).

Watching these students undergo their process of change got me thinking about my own (although my transformation pales in comparison to what some of these kids have gone through). 10 years ago, this week, I graduated from High School (I felt the gravity of this number as I watched my students collect their well-earned Diplomas). At that point, I was in the best shape of my life (adolescent flab had vanished, I was active in sports and worked out on a regular basis). Over the next 9 years I slowly put on 150+ pounds until, on the day of my wedding, I hit 355 pounds (unfortunately, not all change is for the better).

Last year, I made a commitment that, by June 2012, I would hit my goal weight of 205lbs. The process started slowly (10 minutes walks was about all I could handle) but, to my shock, compounded into much more than I thought possible. I attribute this compounding to: 1) The setting of micro goals and 2) Taking up hobbies. Since last summer, I have become an avid: Hiker, Runner, Mountain Biker and Squash player. Exercise, and moderation of eating habits (i.e. putting down the fork), have become a way of life for me. From my initial exercise goal of 10 minutes continuous walking I can now: play squash competitively, hike an entire day up mountains, mountain bike for 10+ hours and jog over 12km at a time. I know that by continuing to set micro goals for myself (i.e. upping my run distance) I will insure that my life-style change is permanent.

Today, I felt as if things had come full-circle for my (at least physically). I am, once again, in the best shape of my life (far exceeding where I was at in High School). Mentally, I feel symbolically connected with the 2012 Class of Change that I worked so closely with. These students looked at adversity, accepted it's existence, side-stepped the block it had set up and have moved on. I can only hope that their example will continue to inspire me as I work to maintain my newly found lifestyle.

Wedding Day (At my heaviest…but also my happiest!)
    WeddingPic.jpg

At the start of the process (hiking was the first hobby I picked up)
    2011-08-18133728-Copy.jpg

November/Movember (sorry for the moustache)
    Themo.jpg

December (up at the top)
    Untitled4.jpg

March (the start of my Mountain Biking adventures)
    Untitled-1.jpg

April (even animals are starting to stand up and take notice)
    April.jpg

May (with the family)
    Untitled1.jpg

June (not the end, but an end)

2012-06-20202414.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Thank you for sharing your story- I am in awe of what you accomplished, both with your health and with the kids. You are my hero, thank you for what you do. I wish you earned more money!
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    WOW you look like a different person I know you must be proud of yourself great job:)
  • naughtyfushsia_wechnaged
    Options
    fantastic loss well done!
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow what a true inspiration
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!