Facebook Status Updates

Options

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I must admit my post can be boring - I'm doing my degree from home and usually study when my LO goes down for a nap. I usually will pop a post up about studying so my friends know not to call me especially as it only happens a couple of times a week now.

I do also put mommy posts up as both our families live a distance away but my main reason i use Facebook now is just to catch with others on the same modules as me. It great to have somewhere to post about a bit in a course or just have a random chat about something.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of the mommy posts, sorry my kids are my world and I"m sure you post things that others find annoying and probably no one really cares about as well. No one is perfect. Though my mommy posts are usually about what my kids did that were so darn funny or how much I miss them when they are gone. Oh well I'm a mother who loves her babies and want the world to know about it, if you don't like it, hide it. They do make that function ya know.

The thing that annoys me the most about fb statuses is people who think they get to tell others what they should or shouldn't post on fb. I mean seriously? Who the hell died and made them God of Facebook? I'll post what the hell I wanna post on fb and I post what the hell I want to post on MFP as well. I post more on MFP then I do FB, and I post quite a bit.

Try being a sahm with no adults to interact with, I bet you find yourself posting more things that probably a lot of people find "Not something I care about." there are 3 options, over look it and get over it because it isn't going to change, hide the person if it bugs you that much, or delete them. Complaining here about that isn't gonna fix it. Just saying!

The irony of this post is priceless.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    you can unsubscribe to their posts, so you are still friends with them, but don't have to read their ranting. its under the friends tab :)

I adore you.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I only really keep my facebook open for the pictures! Me and my friends go on a lot of fun outings and my friend is a professional photographer, so takes tonnes of pictures and uploads them for all of us to see. He will send them to us to store on the computer/disk but i quite like having free storage ;)

Plus.. i like to put up funnies from 9gag! Oh that makes my day!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    As a military family, it has become an integral part of our overseas move.

I can post pictures in one location for family and friends to see.
    I can see who is online during the overlap in time zone differences and invite family to video chat.
    I can ask silly questions I sincerely don't know the answer to because this is not my country and I have no idea what kind of store (name wise) sells the wares I'm looking for or how to find that item for my child's milestone birthday.
    I can ask questions about where to go for various services I might need.
    I have hooked up with people with similar interests here.
    I find out about all the latest base happenings and many of the local events.
    I have even had the opportunity to host a cross-cultural workshop opportunity and teach a class in a local school.
    People are willing to teach me a few things.
    I find out all weather storm information and info on earthquakes.
    I learn how various branches approach rules and regulations differently.
    I hook up with teachers from other locations and talk about topics that professionally interest us.
    I have reconnected with a few family members I haven't heard from in years.
    I was able to follow my neice's pregnancy via long distance. I love it!
    I can find out what new adventures and challenges my military friends encounter after we've changed locations.
    I can help another family's move be smoother and more successful as they have questions about their new location.
    If something happens, often military families have to help each other find the resources needed and those with experience at a location help new ones. The same is true for helping those with deployed spouses.

Yeah, FB can be quite a networking experience. I wasn't sold before but now I am. Of course I also "like" a lot of beneficial public pages. It's not all about my friend list.

I don't mind the seemingly mundane details people post or following their baby's drool or even their dog's drool. I don't even mind the pictures of quotes, etc. I would mind relationship drama or fighting publicly. Thankfully none of my friends, in real life or virtually have been like that.
  • kcoftx
    Options
    That was longer than I intended. For the record though, I like the regular life stuff too. All you mommies and pregnant people to all you retired friends, keep posting. I'm interested. It's nice to see normal stuff in the midst of a chaotic world. Love it.

You can post your cake art too or plates of food. It's all good. I'd rather see normal daily stuff than the crap we are exposed to all the time in media. I love my friends. I want their lives to be full of the good stuff. It's part of counting our blessings when we can.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    How about the ones that try to guilt you in to posting religious stuff. "95% of my friends won't repost this...are you one of the 5%..........." All but saying that if you don't share this your ashamed of god and you'll go to hell. I want to flame those posts so bad but I fight the urge.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just figure that many of them aren't talking to me. For instance, when I post photos about my kids, I'm not actually posting to my friends, I'm posting to my family. When I post drunk pics in a bar, I'm not posting to my family, I'm posting to my friends. So, it's kind of like when you post, you're sweeping your whole list of friends, but it's mainly targeted at a certain group, and not everyone.

But, when I ***** about taxes, I am expecting more than crickets, which is usually what I get which tells me that people are despondent.
  • kcoftx
    Options
    I admit, I hate the guilt into reposting stuff. But I just ignore it. Sometimes I will "like" it but if it says that, I won't repost it. It has the opposite effect.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    For all of you that find the 'mommy' posts annoying, you have to check out the page on FB for the blog called "STFU Parents". They take posts from people that have gone beyond the TMI line (or just ranting about kid-related stuff) and repost them (names are blocked). Its hilarious!
  • KatieRuns1983
    KatieRuns1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of my girlfriend's will post stuff like "that movie was horrible" trying to get people to respond asking what the movie was, no one does
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of the mommy posts, sorry my kids are my world and I"m sure you post things that others find annoying and probably no one really cares about as well. No one is perfect. Though my mommy posts are usually about what my kids did that were so darn funny or how much I miss them when they are gone. Oh well I'm a mother who loves her babies and want the world to know about it, if you don't like it, hide it. They do make that function ya know.

The thing that annoys me the most about fb statuses is people who think they get to tell others what they should or shouldn't post on fb. I mean seriously? Who the hell died and made them God of Facebook? I'll post what the hell I wanna post on fb and I post what the hell I want to post on MFP as well. I post more on MFP then I do FB, and I post quite a bit.

Try being a sahm with no adults to interact with, I bet you find yourself posting more things that probably a lot of people find "Not something I care about." there are 3 options, over look it and get over it because it isn't going to change, hide the person if it bugs you that much, or delete them. Complaining here about that isn't gonna fix it. Just saying!

:laugh:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You don't get my sarcasm evidently, I was making a point, but anywho it's ok, not everyone gets me and I'm ok with that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You don't get my sarcasm evidently, I was making a point, but anywho it's ok, not everyone gets me and I'm ok with that.

So every word of your previous post was tongue-in-cheek and you didn't actually mean any of it?

OK. I apologize then. There was nothing ironic about it in that case.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! Especially those new "like if blah blah blah" posts...ugh! Hate those! And I had a friend say just this morning "I think life was just meant to be sh!tty for me." And those posts are like once a week. She has a husband that loves her and two cute little kids...come on now do you want your kids to think that you hate your life??? I thought about "liking" the post lol.

BUT, I am probably the worst offender ever on pics with my little one. I can't help it! I love showing him off!! I'm sure I annoy the crap out of people that don't have kids on my friend list lol. But, I know that when they do have kids, they will understand and will probably be doing the same thing!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

So every word of your previous post was tongue-in-cheek and you didn't actually mean any of it?

You don't have to be a smart *kitten*, no the second part of my post was sarcastically said. I guess it's true some people you have spell it all out for, and sarcastic needs it's own font I assume. No need to be an *kitten*. She said that she didn't like certain things on fb and I gave a sarcastic example of what I don't like on fb. That's the irony of my post, right? Or that I'm a mom and I talk about my kids?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I hate it whenever I see the status of my friends posting something about their love life. Yes I know you guys love each other but c'mon the rest of the world doesn't care. Also my SIL's post about their child's "monthsary" (I even hate that very word) pics every end of the month (her birthday falls on the last day of a month) even if their kid is already 3 years old!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

You don't have to be a smart *kitten*, no the second part of my post was sarcastically said. I guess it's true some people you have spell it all out for, and sarcastic needs it's own font I assume. No need to be an *kitten*. She said that she didn't like certain things on fb and I gave a sarcastic example of what I don't like on fb. That's the irony of my post, right? Or that I'm a mom and I talk about my kids?

popcorn.gif
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was reading through my "friends" posts yesterday and noticed a girl and her dad were talking so badly about each other. Talk about airing your dirty laundry for all to see. She had been complaing all morning about how "he disowned her and was treaing her like trash, and talking bad about her".... then he writes something like "Act like a b!tch and I'll treat you like one" then she responds with "I can't believe my dad is talking trash about me on FB, good to know"...... hahaha in my head I am thinking, first off dumb girl, you were talking trash on him first, but then I thought, how sad! FB drama can be so entertaining sometimes!
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    i just thought about this. I had a "friend" who got all pissy about my MFP posts on FB. The only thing I let MFP post about is my exercise. I exercise 5 days a week so there is one every day M-F. I also let MapMyRun post my walks/jogs/runs.

She went as far as to post on her FB wall something to the effect of "Some people need to be humble and get over themselves. I am tired of your constant bragging and I bet the rest of your FB friends are too."

This was right after one of my exercise logs. Oh and I had posted a couple pictures of me and my 13yr old son posing in the mirror at the gym that day. I didn't call her out publicly but I did private message her and ask her if that was directed at me and she said yes. She has since been deleted and I haven't spoken to her since.

You just never know what little things will annoy someone.