Healthy waist size - how do you measure up?

Options

Replies

• LizAWDavis
    LizAWDavis Posts: 45
    Options
    33inches exactly - but I am to get back to 30 inches soon!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm around 29", I weigh 124lb.

I was at 34" and weighed 145lb last year. It's hard finding jeans that fit properly ;(
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't measured in a couple of months because I decided not to measure or weigh until after I run a 5k race I registered for, but the last time I measured mine was barely hanging on to healthy at 30 in. I'm hoping the running has finally dropped it below 30 (a mini goal). I'll find out this weekend after the race.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know the Air Force measures me at a 31 - 31.5" waist for my fitness assessment. But it goes by measuring right above the hip bones. Go a little lower and you hit my "baby gush". Not sure where my measurement is at down there...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I read an article that your waist size (circumference) should be half of your vertical height. Also believe that this works for children as well. Makes sense considering everyone is built different....which is reflected in this string of posts.
    On that measurement I'm spot-on - 173cm tall, 86.5cm (34") waist :drinker:
  • GelinaKnows
    Options
    I measure at the smallest spot, not where my pants go. I am a 28.5 reg, & 27 sucking in LOL. My goal is 24 reg 22.5 sucking in. I am sure people think that's already decent, but my hips are only 34.5, bust 34, so until my waist goes down, I'm virtually curve-less & I effin hate it!!! (BTW, I'm 5'4" & currently 136)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I read an article that your waist size (circumference) should be half of your vertical height. Also believe that this works for children as well. Makes sense considering everyone is built different....which is reflected in this string of posts.
    I think this works for men and kids bit not for women who are naturally more curvaceous. :wink:

I think the Nuffield need to think again if the think 37" is the ideal waist size for men. From what I gather 37" is the max waist you should be, but again that doesn't account for height/build so it seems a bit daft, but here's the link:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=165

My waist is currently 98cm (38½") and for trousers 38" is currently very loose and depending on the make 36" is right or a tad too tight. I've always worn a size too small in the past (until the came up with the concept of the active waistband and adding lycra to denim) because I didn't realise that for comfort there should be a gap between the waistband and your body :laugh:
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    My natural waist (smallest part) is 21 inches.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm built weird. I have a lot of weight to lose still, but my waist is 29". Most of my weight is in my hips, thighs, and butt.

Same here! My waist is 27" but my thighs are 25 inches each. :grumble:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My waist was 32" when I started losing weight. It's now between 26 and 28" depending on the time of day and time of the month.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Mine is 26" or can be 25" in whole body pics when I don't breathe or 27.5" when my stomach is overstuffed. My navel area is 27" or 28 when I'm full. But I'm only 5'2 so mine is actually just the right size.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    waist is 28 inches! woohoo. happy to hear this. motivating :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    My waist is 29". I hope it goes down to a 26-24. I still got ab 15lbs til my goal weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I thought a healthy waist size was half of one's height, so therefore "healthy size" is subjective to the person's height.

Anyway, I'm American and my waist size has always been healthy for my height.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Mine can be anywhere from 28 to 26 inches... I'm hiding all my extra weight on my 40 inch hips. :flowerforyou:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The average man has a waist size of 92.7cm (33.4") compared to a healthy size of 94cm (37") - yes, the average man has a waist size less than the healthy measurement!

I'm not so sure about this. I think that's the maximum waist size that of a healthy range. A good range can be much lower than that. A typical man is 5'9", a 37" waist on him is a gut no matter how you slice it.

I'm 5'10 with a 34" waist, 31" pants and there still is chub to lose.
  • court211006
    Options
    mines 23 inches, i'd be happy with a 21 inches, but i miss my 20 inch just because i have a pretty small frame and it looks better with my porportions
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    26"
    5'5
    Around 127 pounds
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Is it horrible that I do not know my waist size? I know its not healthy though... Looks like I need to do some measurements!
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    31", down from 37" when I started this. I want to get down 2-3 more inches though.

Nice work! That's quite an accomplishment!