Healthy waist size - how do you measure up?

Options

Replies

• fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think the healthy waist size is more of a healthy maximum waist size. If it makes you feel better, OP, I read something yesterday (can't remember where) that the healthy maximum waist size is 34 inches for females, so maybe it depends on the source?

Mine's at 24.5" now... started at 28-29, somewhere in there.
  • Polebarbie
    Polebarbie Posts: 84
    Options
    I have a 23 inch waist hoping to get it down to 21.5-22
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm very short waisted, only about two inches between the top of my hips and my bottom rib. My waist is 31". At my healthiest, it was 28". I'm working on getting my way back there!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I thought a healthy waist size was half of one's height, so therefore "healthy size" is subjective to the person's height.

Anyway, I'm American and my waist size has always been healthy for my height.

Oooh well if this is the case I might be right on point with my waist... Isn't a womans size 16 about 36 or so inches ( really need to measure)? Im a 16 in jeans and I am 6'1
  • ugmf12
    ugmf12 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just measured today... 5'0, natural waist is 26 and about 2 inches under my naval I'm 30.5... I think I'm good :)
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mine's 27, but my waist is always fairly small - I don't tend to put on weight in that area for some reason. My hips, well, that's a different story!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I thought a healthy waist size was half of one's height, so therefore "healthy size" is subjective to the person's height.

Oooh well if this is the case I might be right on point with my waist... Isn't a womans size 16 about 36 or so inches ( really need to measure)? Im a 16 in jeans and I am 6'1

Sizes vary so much I don't think you can even tell waist size by clothing size anymore!

36.5 is half your height, so you should be good. It's all about visceral fat and it's just logic that the taller you are, the larger your waist will be and still not have too much visceral fat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Yeah, waist to height is becoming more important and the usual value given is .5 -- i.e. waist < half your height.

Makes a lot more sense that way than slapping one waist value on and saying 'this is good for 5 feet women and 6 feet woman'.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I wonder how they have determined a 'healthy' waist size? It would be interesting to know the parameters used before getting too worked up about this. With an underbust measurement of approx 99cm (and little extra flesh in this area), I find it unlikely that an 80cm waist would be particularly 'healthy' for me...
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My waist was 30 inches in December...It's now 24.5. :) My ultimate goal is 24"
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    5"8" and my waste is 36" or 91.44cm at 208lbs.
    My waste is one of the few things I have been able to shrink since the number on the scale won't move.... :smile:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I'm a 25 but if i keep up with these abs I will be a 24 in no time. :D
  • couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hi im a man size lol i carry weight round my middle apple shape thin arms and legs the rest well what can i say plus getting near the change of life age grrrrr , even when i was younger and thinner stillcarried it round my tum x:bigsmile:
  • couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    some ppl are lucky then to have small waists im not that far off its half ur height lol x:bigsmile:
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Way back in the day mine was 24, but now it's a healthy 27! I would love for it the be 26, but happy at 27!
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm at 27 right now and my goal is 25.
    12lbs to GW!
  • CarrinaCalamity
    Options
    I don't know how accurate their "healthy waist" thing is. I'm 5'6.5", and am quite large. I have a 27"waist.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My waist is 30 inches and I definitely could stand to lose a few more from it.

I am 5'5"
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    30 inches and I could definitely get rid of a couple more.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a small waist; 26.5 inches. But the fat around my belly is my trouble area: 35.5 inches. I hope to have a 24-25 inch waist and 30 inches around my belly.