tips for helping drink water

Options

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Use a clean glass or cup.
    Fill from the tap by holding the glass under the faucet and opening the Cold water valve
    Be careful not to overfill. When drinking receptacle is nearly full, shut off the cold water valve.

This next part can be done sitting down or standing up. If you are just starting out, we recommend sitting down in order to avoid injury.

Hold glass with the hand of your choice and in a slow, steady motion, raise it until the rim of the glass is level with your lips.
    Press the rim to your lips
    Tilt the glass toward you until water enters your mouth. It will take some practice and finesse to get the right amount of tilt.
    Tilt the glass back again so that it is perpendicular to the ground
    Swallow the water
    Repeat the previous 3 steps until the glass is empty.

If desired, the glass can be "refilled", and the whole process repeated. Stay tuned for my 3-part series, "Water Refills. Fluid Dynamics and Hydration Made Easy", where I will cover refills in depth.
    This
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A quick tip! To figure out how much water your body needs in a day to do everything it needs to do, take your weight, divide it by 2, and that's how many ounces you need.
  • brittaniya
    Options
    USE A STRAW!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a new cup with a twist on lid and a straw....it's double layer to help keep it cool....and it's amazing how much you drink when it through a straw....every time I turn around I have to fill up my cup :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    any other good add-ins you would recommend
    Ice.

But I prefer mine straight up.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I just drink beer instead. It's mostly water.

This is true. But when I drink plain water, my clothes tend to fall off less.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have one of those big rubbermaid-like bottles at work with the top that snaps open. It's 32 oz. My goal is to fill and drain it twice during the day.

I find that I'm more apt to keep drinking water if it tastes like something else. I keep sliced citrus in ziploc bags in my freezer, so when I fill my bottle in the morning, I just pop a wedge of lemon or lime or orange into my bottle.

Also, I eat a protein bar for one of my snacks. I now know from experience that if I DON'T drink a solid 8oz of water when eating it, I'm going to have a major stomach ache later on. So that helps too, in its own weird way I guess.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Drinking water isn't such a big deal for me. But oh my goodness, I'm having to "go" all the time. I'm getting about 6 cups a day. I'm afraid to ramp it up to 8. Am I over hydrated?

You're not the only one! Lol. But I think it'll depend on the person, how much they exercise, how much they sweat etc. I myself usually do 9-12 cups before my evening workout. And will end up drinking more during and after. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! :happy:

I keep a mug/glass at my desk that holds 4.5 cups. I always get at least one in before lunch and one after lunch. And if I start to crave something else to drink, I tell myself to get at least 9 cups of water in before I allow myself that other option. That way I know that I am adequately hydrated for the day (and it also gives me time to tell myself that I don't really need that "other option" lol). :smile:
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I don't recommend any add ins but I do recommend investing in a plastic tumbler with a straw. For whatever reason, having the see through tumbler and straw makes all the difference for me drinking water. I now drink at least 5 full 32oz tumblers of water a day!

^^This^^
    My husband calls it my sippy cup. But I will drink 5-6 tumblers a day. Also cutting down on other bevrages, soda, juice, tea, etc will help you crave more water.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on drinking water, so i need some tips to help me do this.
    I use the Mio energy (green bottle) any other good add-ins you would recommend or tips would be helpful.

Is this a trick question? wtf?
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Some think that mineral water is better than spring water. I find a HUGE difference with brands. Find a brand you can tolerate...like Fuji, smartwater, etc.

What also helped me was fresh lemon wedges squeezed in with my water. I also like lime and read a lot of people use cucumber...I'll stick with a lemon and/ or lime. GL
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    What works for me is drinking one full bottle of water with my breakfast, one full bottle with my lunch, one full bottle with my dinner, and one to sip on through out the day ..and using a straw for whatever reason helps you drink them faster. I don't add anything to them. Sometimes I'll have a sparkling water with my dinner but otherwise, its strictly only plain water.
  • auntkk28
    auntkk28 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    fresh sliced lemon and sometimes I throw in a peppermint tea bag, also has to have lots of ice:wink:

I stopped using Mio, I don't trust artifical sweeteners, there's too much debate about them but if it helps you drink water instead of soda then I say go for it:smile:
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Add a piece of lemon or other fruits once in a while, buy flavored waters, or add crystal light or something like that. After u give up the sugar for a while, if u do have a soda or something it really doesn't taste very good!
  • naturalbrowndiva
    naturalbrowndiva Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do infused water(infusion water). It's where you put fruit in your water. For example: I did apple and cinnamon stick. I cut the apple up add the cinnamon stick then fill the jug halfway with ice and finally add water. let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes before you drink it. you can use the same fruit for 3-4 times before replacing the fruit. you can use basil, mint, and lavender leaves. here's the link: http://tonetiki.com/2012/04/01/apple-cinnamon-day-spa-water-0-calories/
  • Boolie88
    Boolie88 Posts: 13
    Options
    In a pitcher I put in half a lemon (sliced), 2 strawberries (sliced) and a few basil leaves. It is super yummy, and I can refill the pitcher about 4 or 5 times while keeping the flavor! So delicious!
  • audfox
    audfox Posts: 4
    Options
    I find it easier to drink from a bottle of sorts then a glass. Almost impossible for me to drink from a glass... only because that means I have stopped for at least 2 minutes.. I always carry a bottle with me, whether it is a refillable sports bottle or throw away plastic bottle.. it saves me from making a mess too. and sometimes, I add just a hint of lemon juice, no sugar to flavor the water.

I struggle to get in 64 oz in a day but usually get in at least 32 oz without much effort.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Cut out sugary and or carbonated drinks and you will likely crave water more.

This. I hated water but now its all i drink and i cant get enough of it.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I have a 32 oz water bottle...but I love water so I refill A LOT !
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugary and or carbonated drinks and you will likely crave water more.

I agree!!!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    In a pitcher I put in half a lemon (sliced), 2 strawberries (sliced) and a few basil leaves. It is super yummy, and I can refill the pitcher about 4 or 5 times while keeping the flavor! So delicious!

yum!