Being fat is just easier..

Options

Replies

• AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My need to be better than myself is probably my biggest motivation.

I would just say that you don't want it enough. No one else can make you want it.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    eh, some aspects of being fat is easier.
    most suck. maybe when you get older you'll realize it!

i do low carb. i know it works, so i stay motivated. losing inches and seeing the number on the scale go down is the best motivation.

''being fat is hard.
    losing weight is hard.
    pick your hard.''

may not apply to you, but i repeat this over and over when i workout
    That's good advice. Also, I feel like crap with this extra weight, my joints ache I get out of breath etc. Oh and I used to be tired all the time. With my diet change and exercise I feel tons more energy.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posters.. you have to find what it is you want out of it and that will keep you going. For me, it's wanting to stay healthy and active (read "young").

Also, don't make drastic changes - small changes will add up. Don't deprive yourself - cut calories slowly. Someone mentioned the Eat More to Weigh Less group...check that out. You can still "slip up" and have treats...just not a whole carton of ice cream. Find an activity you enjoy, then you'll want to stay active. You need to do something that you can sustain. That's the key.

Fit is more fun, and feels better! Good luck!
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was going to respond but so manypeople gave such awesome advice! Love MFP! All I can say is "You CAN do it!" :)
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a secret weapon... a workout buddy. Seriously! I have been trying to develop a workout routine for the past year, and I haven't been able to. But now, when my alarm goes off at 5am, and I know that she's going to roll up at 5:05 to walk the dogs with me, I get my *kitten* out of bed. Someone else holding you accountable is a GREAT motivator!
  • alicialee05
    alicialee05 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Why do I lose my motivation so quickly?!?? I have my days where I get so pumped up to exercise and eat healthy but then a few days later or even weeks I just completely lose it. Idk if anyone can help ('cause I'm sure this is more of a mental thing) but, why can't I stay motivated? And what keeps you motivated??

I definitely know where you're coming from, as im sure a lot of people do.

I've gone back and forth for the longest time-- one week I'll work out like a maniac, and the next week I'm lucky if I get myself to go on a 30 minute walk.

Since Ive joined MFP and gotten myself some friends, it's much easier to keep each other motivated-- I find it's easier than with real friends!

Feel free to add me if you need some extra encouragement!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You know, I used to think that also... until I realized how much pain internally I've felt being fat. NOTHING can take that pain away other than being the person I want to be.

So really, you have to change how you view things- yeah it's easier to grab fast food.... but wouldn't it also be easier to go shopping and be able to grab an article of clothing you like without worrying about "how" it will fit? Or, later on in the years will it be easier if you develop health problems associated to living an unhealthy lifestyle? No, it most certainly wont.

It's easy to become discouraged because this is not something that you can change overnight. You have to keep reminding yourself that YOU are worth it and all the reasons why you want to and need to do this.

Good luck, and know that you're not alone!!

This. Even now, after having lost some of the weight, I still sometimes find myself feeling bad about where I'm at (no, my avatar is not me). I want to be thinner, I want to be fit, I want to be strong. I can't achieve any of those by sitting on my butt, eating Oreos every day.

Those are long term goals. What about in the meantime? Stuff that I can see within a couple of weeks (especially if the weight loss stalls out)? I practice martial arts and do some weight lifting. Things like personal records for lifting, and being able to pull off a new move while sparring are my motivations, because they have a faster "turn around" time, and can still be fitness markers.

You said you like running. So find a running club. Meetup.com is a good place to start to find one, as are the boards in health clubs or college campuses or other community posting places. Sign up for a 5k and start training for it, and when you've completed that race, sign up for another one, then sign up for a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon.... These things give you goals, deadlines, and a feeling of accomplishment when you've achieved them, which does wonders for the motivation.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    For the same reason I lost my motivation quickly for 30+ years. Being fat IS easier. Losing weight takes effort. Being fat only means you get to eat more stuff and feel better today.

But living is a lot harder when you're fat. Stairs are harder. You can't do things you'd like to do.

It cost me being able to ride a mule down the Bright Angel trail into the Grand Canyon. It cost me being able to use a smaller and far less expensive aircraft while I was earning my pilot's license - it damn near cost me said pilot's license on top of that. It cost me missing out on so many of the things I now love to do.

And it cost me all those things for 30 years. If I had lost the weight when I was 15, or even 25, or even 35, I can only imagine the things I would have done in all that time. My "midlife crisis car" is a new body, and it's certainly well-used, but it can do a lot of things my old car couldn't.

Being fat is easier. Today.

Being thin is easier. For life.

Don't wait until you're middle-aged like me and have a lifetime of things you DIDN'T do be your motivation.
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Being complacent is always easier...I think for me, I finally got sick of what I saw in the mirror so now every time I look in the mirror, I am reminded of why I'm doing this and it helps with motivation.

I was the same way at one point, my weekends were disasters, but even so, I was able to still lose weight for a while. I did that for three years and lost, I don't know, 20 lbs, probably lost good inches that weren't reflected in the scale, but never made it even close to any goal and I think a huge part of it was, I never truly believed it was possible. Never believed in myself enough to truly believe that I COULD DO IT. That has changed, I know it's possible and I know I can do it...I think that finally came from being fed up with my body and my lifestyle. Sick and tired of being the fat girl. Sick and tired of being cast aside by men because of my weight. Sick and tired of horrible shopping experiences, or constantly worried about my flab showing. Absolutely fed up with the obsessive disapproval and overwhelming amount of time I spend being self conscious about my body. Completely and utterly OVER this fat and disgusting body. I want to feel beautiful. Yes, that's shallow. I don't care anymore. I don't have a problem with what I look like (not to say I'm oh so beautiful, I've just come to accept it maybe) other than my weight, and that's something in my control, and my control alone, there's just no excuse for it! I want to wear cute clothes and walk around without thinking about my fat, flabby stomach or thunder thighs! Or how about trying on a pair of jeans without looking like a damn whale. FED UP I TELL YOU! And that's how I stay motivated. Because I'm reminded daily, every minute, how much I loathe this fat body.

Hmm...I shouldn't post when I'm in a p!ssy mood I guess LOL!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...yes and no. It is easier to give in to bad habits rather than discipline ourselves to eat right and exercise (even when we don't feel like it). However, when I was at 297lbs I was MISERABLE 24/7...physically, mentally, and emotionally. I was in pain, I could barley breathe, I was always angry or crying (aka depression), I was embarrassed to be seen in public, I couldn't stand getting dressed to go anywhere because most clothes didn't fit and the ones that did looked hideous on me...the list goes on. I've lost nearly fifty pounds, and, even though I still have a long way to go, I feel infinitely better all the way across the board. An hour of misery once per day when I'm at the gym is totally worth it if it means being happier, healthier, and pain free the rest of the day. As I said in my profile, sure, I have alot of weight to lose, but I have far more to lose if I give up on myself. Keep trying. Thirty pounds from now, you'll be glad you did. Take it from someone who's been there.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I started this change two years and almost 140 lbs ago. At the beginning, I slipped a lot. I'd lose ten pounds, then celebrate with Chinese buffet and fall back into my old habits. I didn't understand why it felt so hard when a lot of the people I knew did it so effortlessly. I didn't understand why I always felt hungry, I didn't understand why I broke a sweat after walking five minutes, I didn't understand why it felt so bad if it was supposed to be good for me. I wanted to give up. I gave up multiple times. I quit and un-quit my way down to 147 lbs, my lowest weight since I was, like, twelve. Right before I joined MFP, I quit again. I fell back into my old habits and gained 15 lbs before I decided I had to regain control to avoid undoing everything I'd worked for.

Some days, I still want to quit. Some days I'm tired and sore and I want to buy a dozen croissants and eat them all in one day. But then I look in the mirror and I think of how far I've come and how much better I feel about myself and how proud I am of my progress and how close I am to looking how I've always pictured myself in my mind, and quitting suddenly doesn't seem easier. It feels like throwing away a puzzle I spent hours putting together just because I'm having a hard time fitting in the last few pieces. I want that feeling of completion and triumph. I want to know I ignored the voices in my head that have been telling me 'you can't do it, you're not getting anywhere, this is a waste of time, let's just order pizza and call it a night'. I want to win. And I will.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to have days where you want to give up. It's even okay to give up, if that's really what you want for yourself. But you have strength, willpower, and potential inside of you and you have a vision in your head of what you want out of life, and you CAN make it happen if it's really what you want. That doesn't just apply to weight loss - that applies to anything you want out of your life. You CAN do it. And if you choose to, it will feel so good when you complete it.

You can add me if you want. I know I'm not where you are right now, but I have been there and I know how it feels to want to give up, and what it takes to get through those moments.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a couple of years. Best believe I've lost motivation over and over again. I'll probably lose my motivation in the near future. Here are some tips:

1) Set a goal not related to weight loss. Run a 5K--do Couch to 5K, something to keep your mind off the scale.
    2) Change your program every 6-8 weeks. Your body adapts quickly and you will probably get bored. You don't have to start from scratch--you can change up the exercises, the intensity, your workout playlist...
    3) Find a group of like minded people, either online or in person to cheer you on. I was on Sparkpeople for a long time, and there were many people to challenge and encourage me.
    4) Take each day one at a time. You have to enjoy life while your on your journey.
    5) Make a vision collage full of inspirational quotes and pictures. Post it somewhere you will see it often.
    6) Take progress pics every month, and always remember how far you've come!
    7) Set small mini goals (like every 5-10 pounds or 1 mile or something) and reward yourself for meeting your goals. No food rewards!!!
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    Its pretty simple for me,

I eat better > I feel healthy > I feel energised > I workout > I feel fit > I eat good choices for energy.

The cycle just keeps going
  • Louisequeen1970
    Options
    Bump, looks good, Time to exercise. Will read later xx
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard if you set yourself unrealistic goals.

If you set yourself small, achievable goals ("eat a healthy breakfast every day this week", "exercise for 15 mins every day this week", "no soda for three days") then it's much easier.

If you set out to eat 1200 cals a day, exercise for 2 hours every day - hell yeah, it's going to be hard!
    Then you'll probably give up and feel bad. Again.

Be realistic, accept that you aren't going to wake up next week 10 pounds lighter but that if you eat well (not too little, not too much) and you do some regular exercise (which doesn't even have to be every day) then you might well be 10 pounds (or a whole lot more!) lighter by Christmas.

actually, i am the COMPLETE opposite of this. if all i focus on is today, then i get bogged down in the suckitude of day-to-day life. BUT, when i sign up for stuff that sounds TOTALLY out of the realm of possibility, then i move my *kitten* and make it happen. i signed up for a warrior dash b/c it looked like fun, and it looked scary. and i DID it. and then after, i've been floundering, so i signed up for a zombie run and a 5k walk. the bigger the hill, the harder i climb it.
  • juspeachykeen
    juspeachykeen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, being fat is definately easier. I have the same issue. I can do great on my diet for a while, but when I crash, I crash hard. I have severe eaters guilt, think about food all the time (even dream about it), and other crazy issues with food. My doctor diagnosed me as having an over-eating disorder and prescribed me phentermine for appitite suppression. As long as I follow the directions to a T, it really does help. I needed an extra something to help me. I'm not saying I don't fail now, because the Lord knows I do, but it's less often.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Why do I lose my motivation so quickly?!?? I have my days where I get so pumped up to exercise and eat healthy but then a few days later or even weeks I just completely lose it. Idk if anyone can help ('cause I'm sure this is more of a mental thing) but, why can't I stay motivated? And what keeps you motivated??

all i really wanted to say is i crept your pictures and OMG you are stunning!! seriously beautiful!!

now i guess i'll follow it up since im here.
    i used to be 165 lbs which may not sounds like much but i was teased, insecure, and unhappy. me and my ex would sit around and eat sskor bites and chips and watch movies. YES it was easier. and it was fun WHILE we were eating. i now weigh 132 and am still not where i want to be, but i am MUCH happier. i have a different bf now, and we workout together 4x week and are healthy. my advice would be to google healthy recipes of foods you like (i have one for pizza and spaghetti if you go to the eat more to weight less group the recipe is under the recipe thread, or just add me/message me) and also allow yourself a cheat MEAL once a week. so when cravings hit just tell yourself "i can have that piece of cake on SUNDAY"...

but yeah, its HARD to be healthy but its WORTH IT!! we all have our off days.

it takes 21 days to create a habit. stick with it for 21 days. :)
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My need to be better than myself is probably my biggest motivation.

I would just say that you don't want it enough. No one else can make you want it.

Amen sista! My mantra exactly.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Name one reason why losing weight is bad for you.

List as many reasons as you can about WHY losing weight is bad for you. Can you think of any?

Now, write down all the reasons you can think about WHY losing weight is GOOD for you, and make a nice long, positive list for reinforcement!!!

Keep this list somewhere VISIBLE...refer to it when you are feeling like you just CAN'T do this.

YOU CAN!!!
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Being fat is not easy, eating and growing fat is easy! Take baby steps with goal setting and be consistent. When I am consistent I see results even doing baby steps. When I am inconsistent that lag sets me back and feels like a start over. So be consistent and take your time to lose the weight and focus on health body, healthy lab work, healthy eating, and staying active. If you have hormone issues like many of us with PCOS all you can do is keep at it and hope to lose something within the year because it's very slow but slow and steady wins the race. Good Luck!