13»

Replies

• NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ignore "supastar girl" up there....

Who?

The girl in the "supastar" pose.....

I'm sorry but yeah I found her very rude. Of course they are not "safe" if their health is in danger . . . *smh*
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In regard to the the soda situation, buy them some Mio perhaps. Once they see that they can make their own water taste good enough to drink, they wont need to buy so much soda.

Tell them it will save them money. Parents like to hear that.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    Options
    I agree with what a lot of peope have said, cook for them, try to do family excerizes, and leading by example. But since they buy a lot of junk food what you could do for them is portion it out for them in serveing sizes. If they go to get a bag of chips to munch on I bet they'd be less likely to eat the whole bag (Idk if they do, just saying) if it was divided up into 12 zip lock bags or whatever.. Idk just an idea :)

That's a good idea. I could do that with meals too. Freeze portions for them to eat :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    When your mum's hip has healed, would she respond to you perhaps saying "it's a nice day, fancy going for a walk?" but don't make it look like exercise but just a walk in the sunshine etc. Every little helps I guess. x
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and still live with my parents who in their late 50s. . . early 60s. My dad is older than mom and works a labor heavy job. Since he's on his feet all day and working so hard he has knee problems. My mom on the other hand is a cashier at a grocery store. Both my mom and dad are overweight. They buy and eat a lot of junkfood (ice cream, chips, etc) processed food (tv dinners). They buy soda like it's going out of style. I'm worried about their health because I'm so super health conscious and want to see them healthy and happy (and living a very long time)! Does anyone have any advice on how to help my parents be healthy????

EDIT: Not trying to FORCE THEM to be healthy by the way . . . I mentioned advice to HELP. . . thank you advance lol

You totally just described my parents! Down to their jobs! I'm concerned for their health too but no matter what I say or what example I lead it doesn't make them se it how I do. Just carry on what you're doing, they may catch on eventually but if they're like my parents then they might be too set in their ways.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Talk them into going to their doctor for a physical. At their age they should be doing that anyway. Let the doctor scare them into changing their lifestyle.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    Options
    When your mum's hip has healed, would she respond to you perhaps saying "it's a nice day, fancy going for a walk?" but don't make it look like exercise but just a walk in the sunshine etc. Every little helps I guess. x

Me and my friend Ashley have invited her with us before and my dad even encouraged her to go but she has yet to say yes. Then again I haven't asked since . . . Easter lol
  • NomNomCupcakes
    Options
    I'm 24 and still live with my parents who in their late 50s. . . early 60s. My dad is older than mom and works a labor heavy job. Since he's on his feet all day and working so hard he has knee problems. My mom on the other hand is a cashier at a grocery store. Both my mom and dad are overweight. They buy and eat a lot of junkfood (ice cream, chips, etc) processed food (tv dinners). They buy soda like it's going out of style. I'm worried about their health because I'm so super health conscious and want to see them healthy and happy (and living a very long time)! Does anyone have any advice on how to help my parents be healthy????

EDIT: Not trying to FORCE THEM to be healthy by the way . . . I mentioned advice to HELP. . . thank you advance lol

You totally just described my parents! Down to their jobs! I'm concerned for their health too but no matter what I say or what example I lead it doesn't make them se it how I do. Just carry on what you're doing, they may catch on eventually but if they're like my parents then they might be too set in their ways.

Thanks girl glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation!
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Being healthy, like getting an education or working at a nonprofit, is a choice and I think it's one you really can't make for other people.

Maybe try being concerned about their happiness instead. Are they content? Safe? Happy?

In my case they are happy while stuffin their face then complain they are fat or get ill easy... my SD is suffering bad blood pressure, cholesterol, etc and doesnt help it. My mum is very unhappy with her appearance but doent really push to change thhat!

^ My mom and step father - exactly. I wish I knew what to say to get her to help herself...
  • NomNomCupcakes
    Options
    Being healthy, like getting an education or working at a nonprofit, is a choice and I think it's one you really can't make for other people.

Maybe try being concerned about their happiness instead. Are they content? Safe? Happy?

In my case they are happy while stuffin their face then complain they are fat or get ill easy... my SD is suffering bad blood pressure, cholesterol, etc and doesnt help it. My mum is very unhappy with her appearance but doent really push to change thhat!

^ My mom and step father - exactly. I wish I knew what to say to get her to help herself...

They may be "happy" but are they "safe?" Def not if they have health problems. I feel you guys pain! Not an easy issue to deal with :( and not something I can just brush to the side . . .
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the advice. . . lol

I hope you didn't intend that to sound as snarky and hateful as it comes across. That was fair advice. "what you want to hear" =/="good advice".

I don't think anyone seriously thinks you're FORCING anything. It's obvious you're concerned about them, and it's natural to want to see someone else you care about feel as good as you do once you adopt healthy habits. You just have to be sure to keep in mind that your choices were made from your own mind and not because someone browbeat you about it. You should allow them the same.

That said, it doesn't mean you can't share the information you have available once in a while. Just try to do it in a non-confrontational way. I have a daughter who is headed on the fast track toward a very unhealthy lifestyle, but if I keep telling her "you need to do ---", she's going to dig in her heels even more. So I might offer to share a bite of a particularly tasty healthy recipe, or invite her on a walk with me. Sure, she might say no, but at least it gets her considering it, and, when she IS ready, she'll know who she can come to for help. Sometimes we kill more flies with honey than vinegar.

Umm yeah it was as "snarky" and "hateful" as the comment I was replying to. The statement of force came about thanks to the overwhelming amount of posts complaining I cannot FORCE anything on anyone. I appreciate the reply. I am in no way a rude and mean person who just yells at everyone around me to GET HEALTHY. I just occasionally go grocery shopping with Mom and Dad and see how much ice cream and soda they buy and TV dinners. I know soda isn't good for you. Have I said anything to them? No. I came on here first seeking advice about the situation beforehand. "Knowledge proceeds action," as the saying goes.

That DOES suck. I know I hate seeing my daughter bring home one 2-liter bottle of soda after another, to wash down her Little Debbie snacks, knowing full well what it's doing to her to have those as her main diet staples. I don't wish the weight problems I'm finally addressing on ANYONE, and certainly not my own child. But the sad fact is, she's not going to address it until she's damn good and ready. That said, it doesn't mean we have to stop trying to help! Best of luck to you. I hope they come around soon. It sounds like they only stand to benefit from a few healthy changes.

**Edited to add that the daughter in question is in her 20s, before someone wonders why I "allow" her to eat that way.
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if I repeat!!

I agree with the pps about cooking- maybe you could surprise them with a healthy homecooked meal? Don't tell them it's healthy until after they've eaten it lol! Or offer to drive when they run errands- like the grocery store- and park in a far spot. Sneak it in! Lol! You can't force them, but you can get involved where possible and at least get a little bit of health and fitness snuck in there! :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My brother started with the healthy eating thing before I did. He tried getting my dad to take better care of himself. My dad didnt want to hear it. He died last year of cancer (so the healthy eating probably would have been too little too late anyway) My mom still eats so much crap. Until she was in her late fifties she was as thin as a rail. Shes about 5"7 and was 108 lbs and ate whatever she wanted. The last 8 or so years she's really packed on the pounds. A few times she complained to me about it. I told her if she replaced tonic with water she'd probably cut out about 500-700 calories a day (she drinks quite a bit of tonic) she'd lose some weight. She started drinking Pepsi with a lime in it (cuz she doesnt consider that tonic!?!?!) and now eats ice cream DAILY.Shestill sometimes whined about being fat. I finally snapped at her and said "You know damn well why you're fat. Eithe r do something about it or don't I don't care but I am not listening to 'I don't know why I'm gaining so much weight!' " She still eats nothing but garbage but atleast she doesnt dare whine to me about being fat.

I guess what I'm saying is you can bring a horse to water but you cant make him drink.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    Options
    The weird / annoying thing is I work a fulltime job until 5pm. My dad works like 3 hrs away and we both come home at the same time and he expects dinner when he gets home. So it's pretty impossible for me to make them a dinner unless he has patience to wait or if I make it, then freeze it. But I will bring the idea up to see if they are open to it. Seems like the easiest thing.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The weird / annoying thing is I work a fulltime job until 5pm. My dad works like 3 hrs away and we both come home at the same time and he expects dinner when he gets home. So it's pretty impossible for me to make them a dinner unless he has patience to wait or if I make it, then freeze it. But I will bring the idea up to see if they are open to it. Seems like the easiest thing.

It might sweeten the deal if you offer to make their favorite things. For instance, my mom loves pasta, Tex-Mex, and watermelon. There are great healthy recipes out there for those things, and she'd never turn me down if I offered those to her. The other alternative is to offer to cook on your days off when he won't have to "wait" for you. :)
  • morriusmfp
    morriusmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I watched my Dad cook a 'healthy' meal last week which must have been about 2000 calories, 400 more than I eat in a day. God knows what he had for lunch and breakfast, but I doubt he'll be losing weight any time soon.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that you've got to want to and it may be that they don't want to. If they aren't bothered, then they will struggle to stick to it. Leading a healthier life is a lot of hard work and if just isn't that important to somebody (not just talking about your parents here), I think they will struggle
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options

What kind of advice is that?!?! So, If they are fat and happy that's all that matters? Really?
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    My parents are the same way. When I visit them, they still have tons of junk food in the house (cake, cookies, chips) .

My mother's idea of "healthy" is to switch from regular white bread to "enhanced" white bread.

She refuses to give up full-fat mayo in her tuna even though there are so many other great ways to make tuna. She once tried low-fat mayo but doesn't like it and figures that mayo won't hurt my father who has to watch his cholesterol.

I like making it with sweet relish but she won't try it.

They are making attempts to eat healthier because they know that they have to watch the cholesterol level so they are taking baby steps.

You can't force people to change their eating habits. All you can do is offer your suggestions and information.

The rest is up to them. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make the horse drink it.