Processed Foods

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I suppose all the chemicals &things you can't pronounce on the labels label these foods "unclean". I was raised on this stuff, hard to cut the habits. I miss eating spam, haven't had it in months!!!
    Blasphemy. SPAM is required in my diet. Especially with rice and eggs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I suppose my frozen wild alaskan salmon fillets, my bags of wholegrain rice and my steam bags of various vegetables count as processed as well, even though there is nothing added, according to ingredient list ?

No, they don't count as processed foods. Processed foods are altered. Frozen foods of the sort you're eating are not. As a matter of fact, your frozen veggies probably contain more nutrients than fresh vegetables that have sitting in a market for a couple of days.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Before those few decades of pre-packaged foods being consumed, there were millenia of non pre-packaged/ natural foods being consumed. Science has brought us a long way, that's for sure. Along with salt content, sugar content tends to be really high in these food choices. How much good are they doing for us? It's fine to say that we aren't "supposed to" cut our hair, or wear make-up, but are those things causing cancer and other diseases?... well, maybe the make-up is... In the back of my head, I love the idea of being as natural as possible, but that is solely my opinion for myself. If you are questioning it for yourself, do some research and find out if you want to consume manufactured/ genetically modified products, and follow what YOU feel is right. I don't know if there is a "right" or "wrong" answer here for every single person, only for you.

Also, if you like the idea of natural, but the convenience for packaged food, maybe make things ahead of time, and package it./ freeze yourself. At least you will know exactly what you put in it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I suppose my frozen wild alaskan salmon fillets, my bags of wholegrain rice and my steam bags of various vegetables count as processed as well, even though there is nothing added, according to ingredient list ?

Ingredient lists do not lie. Though of course those foods have been cut into serving sizes and made edible for humans, I wouldn't consider them processed.
    But companies who provide food don't need to say how they "cleaned and prepped" the food on the package. You don't think there is some "chemical" cleaning going on?

IDEA Fitness member
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, since I cut out processed foods (for the most part) I no longer get migraines! :happy:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

No, they don't count as processed foods. Processed foods are altered. Frozen foods of the sort you're eating are not. As a matter of fact, your frozen veggies probably contain more nutrients than fresh vegetables that have sitting in a market for a couple of days.

That is a relief, I was worried that any food that comes in any sort of packet, rather than a market or fresh fish stand would be considered as processed. I eat a lot of things like the above, and pots of cottage cheese, eggs that come in boxes etc. I do not eat microwave meals at all anymore, although I do get the occasional ready made vegetarian kiev. But I always check ingredients for any E numbers or artificial ingredients.
  • graelwyn
    Options

Ingredient lists do not lie. Though of course those foods have been cut into serving sizes and made edible for humans, I wouldn't consider them processed.
    But companies who provide food don't need to say how they "cleaned and prepped" the food on the package. You don't think there is some "chemical" cleaning going on?

Maybe it would be simpler to just eat nothing then since not everyone has access to fresh fish shops and wants to live every single day on organic fish, potatoes, and vegetables, lol.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    I have also cut out 90% of processed foods and I have stopped getting migraines also.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Maybe. But everything that graelwyn mentioned -- frozen salmon, frozen veggies, rice -- is going to be heated up before it's ingested. I am much less worried about things used to clean my single ingredient food before I heat and eat them than I would be about popping frankenfoods like Doritos or Tastykakes into my mouth.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    What's really wrong with them?

easy answer: nothing.
  • graelwyn
    Options

Maybe. But everything that graelwyn mentioned -- frozen salmon, frozen veggies, rice -- is going to be heated up before it's ingested. I am much less worried about things used to clean my single ingredient food before I heat and eat them than I would be about popping frankenfoods like Doritos or Tastykakes into my mouth.

Yes, right now, I cannot even begin to think how I, personally, could manage a diet that literally had nothing that came in any kind of packaging, or indeed from a supermarket. It would be severely limiting, and probably not too healthy for me to live purely on organic vegetables, fresh fish, farm eggs and fruits, since nuts are usually in a packet too, lol. There is a point where it can get too extreme and silly, imo. Mind you, those on paleo seem to manage, but that is not a diet suited to me.
  • alafolie29
    Options
    The 'decades' in which people have been eating processed foods are the same decades in which obesity levels have drastically risen.

Eating these foods from time to time will have little effect but they're not something you want to become a habit. They have little nutritional value and are usually pretty high in calories/sugar/fat for what you actually get.

There are plenty of meals you can make with limited time but I think if you are truly committed to eating better you will just have to make the time...

Since I cut out processed junk and started focusing on fresher, more wholesome food I feel much healthier and energetic.
  • Rilke
    Options
    Yes, right now, I cannot even begin to think how I, personally, could manage a diet that literally had nothing that came in any kind of packaging, or indeed from a supermarket. It would be severely limiting, and probably not too healthy for me to live purely on organic vegetables, fresh fish, farm eggs and fruits, since nuts are usually in a packet too, lol. There is a point where it can get too extreme and silly, imo. Mind you, those on paleo seem to manage, but that is not a diet suited to me.

You have to do the best you can with what you have while living in the real world. I love the eggs and seasonal produce I am lucky enough to get from local farmers for decent prices, year round. But I also love the convenience of wild caught Alaskan salmon in the freezer aisle at Costco, and the oranges shipped from California I eat all winter.

ninerbuff mentioned the 80/20 rule -- I try for that too, but while still avoiding the worst stuff (partially hydrogenated oils, artificial colors, preservatives, etc) even in my 20%.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    wait. processed foods made everyone fat? I thought that was McDonald's. oh, wait! no, it was large fountain drinks! oh, wait! no, it was ______.

come on, now, people. the country got fat because we quit moving, above all else. more than 90 percent of the U.S. now, I'm sure, works in an office for most of the day. add to that, of course, a lack of portion control. but that's with any food, whether it comes in a wrapper or not.

and for the chemicals!! crowd, everything we eat? made up of and broken down into chemicals.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

If you don't mind the garbage that's in them....sure then. To each his own.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Google results
    While the first step of freezing vegetables—blanching them in hot water or steam to kill bacteria and arrest the action of food-degrading enzymes—causes some water-soluble nutrients like vitamin C and the B vitamins to break down or leach out, the subsequent flash-freeze locks the vegetables in a relatively nutrient-rich state.

On the other hand, fruits and vegetables destined to be shipped to the fresh-produce aisles around the country typically are picked before they are ripe, which gives them less time to develop a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. Outward signs of ripening may still occur, but these vegetables will never have the same nutritive value as if they had been allowed to fully ripen on the vine. In addition, during the long haul from farm to fork, fresh fruits and vegetables are exposed to lots of heat and light, which degrade some nutrients, especially delicate vitamins like C and the B vitamin thiamin.
  • graelwyn
    Options

You have to do the best you can with what you have while living in the real world. I love the eggs and seasonal produce I am lucky enough to get from local farmers for decent prices, year round. But I also love the convenience of wild caught Alaskan salmon in the freezer aisle at Costco, and the oranges shipped from California I eat all winter.

ninerbuff mentioned the 80/20 rule -- I try for that too, but while still avoiding the worst stuff (partially hydrogenated oils, artificial colors, preservatives, etc) even in my 20%.

Yes, I check everything I eat, and I guess the worst things I have which are not the majority of the time, are the chocolate and ice cream, lol.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

If you don't mind the garbage that's in them....sure then. To each his own.

you mean the dreaded chemicals? I forgot about those. probably because I don't much mind them.

which frighten you the most?

phosphorus? sulfur? sodium? copper? zinc? selenium? molybdenum? fluorine? chlorine? iodine? manganese? cobalt? iron? lithium? strontium? aluminum? silicon? lead? vanadium? arsenic? bromine?

(hint: all of those are in your body already.)
  • Rilke
    Options
    wait. processed foods made everyone fat? I thought that was McDonald's. oh, wait! no, it was large fountain drinks! oh, wait! no, it was ______.

come on, now, people. the country got fat because we quit moving, above all else. more than 90 percent of the U.S. now, I'm sure, works in an office for most of the day. add to that, of course, a lack of portion control. but that's with any food, whether it comes in a wrapper or not.

and for the chemicals!! crowd, everything we eat? made up of and broken down into chemicals.

Okay. But chemicals formulated in a laboratory (that don't occur anywhere in nature) and formulated into substances vaguely resembling food are not the same beast as chemicals produced by nature that humans have thrived on for . . . well, you know.
  • Rilke
    Options
    Yes, I check everything I eat, and I guess the worst things I have which are not the majority of the time, are the chocolate and ice cream, lol.

Chocolate and ice cream -- me too! Sounds like our diets are very similar :)