Processed Foods

Options

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    wait. processed foods made everyone fat? I thought that was McDonald's. oh, wait! no, it was large fountain drinks! oh, wait! no, it was ______.

come on, now, people. the country got fat because we quit moving, above all else. more than 90 percent of the U.S. now, I'm sure, works in an office for most of the day. add to that, of course, a lack of portion control. but that's with any food, whether it comes in a wrapper or not.

and for the chemicals!! crowd, everything we eat? made up of and broken down into chemicals.

Okay. But chemicals formulated in a laboratory (that don't occur anywhere in nature) and formulated into substances vaguely resembling food are not the same beast as chemicals produced by nature that humans have thrived on for . . . well, you know.

Its not like the human body had a built in filter or anything
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    wait. processed foods made everyone fat? I thought that was McDonald's. oh, wait! no, it was large fountain drinks! oh, wait! no, it was ______.

come on, now, people. the country got fat because we quit moving, above all else. more than 90 percent of the U.S. now, I'm sure, works in an office for most of the day. add to that, of course, a lack of portion control. but that's with any food, whether it comes in a wrapper or not.

and for the chemicals!! crowd, everything we eat? made up of and broken down into chemicals.

Okay. But chemicals formulated in a laboratory (that don't occur anywhere in nature) and formulated into substances vaguely resembling food are not the same beast as chemicals produced by nature that humans have thrived on for . . . well, you know.

and yet, your body is a pretty impressive machine. it breaks down everything you eat into base chemical elements. even laboratory products.
  • TruckerWilly
    Options
    I'm not a health nut, but I've found that the trick for me to lose weight was to cut out 85% of foods I don't prepare myself. But not for the reasons I've seen stated here. I also found that, for me, it's not as simple as "calories in vs. calories out". Although that may prove to work very well for people trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, if you are really trying to tone up, lose body fat, and preserve lean muscle "calories in vs calories out" doesn't work. That's another thread though.

- When you eat out you are much more likely to splurge on an item that you don't really *need*, like a milkshake with that burger or ketchup with your fries.

- The health options just aren't there, and Yes there are some exceptions, but even the salads are full of sugar.

- When you eat on the run, you are much more likely to eat quickly and stuff yourself. My opinion really, but I've read a study or two that says you eat less when sitting down to a meal, especially with other people.

- Cooking your own food let's you know pretty much everything thats going into your food, which helps you control portion size.

- Cooking actually burns calories! You stand up and move around, you have to wash dishes, etc. It's also a handy skill if your single and lookin' for a date :)

- Each chef is an individual, and just because the website says "300 calories" doesn't mean the food you are consuming is 300 calories. Remember, the restaurants and chains have something to gain by having a low calorie count because it attracts business. Just because the recipe used in the site cooks the chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil doesn't mean the chef will.

Having said all this, I do enjoy eating prepared foods. I had a burger and fries on Sunday, and a lean cuisine last night. I'm not saying you need to raise your own chickens, grow your own carrots, and thresh your own rice. Just eat it in moderation.

Thanks for reading,
    Chris

Thank You.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What's really wrong with them?

easy answer: nothing.

If you don't mind the garbage that's in them....sure then. To each his own.

you mean the dreaded chemicals? I forgot about those. probably because I don't much mind them.

which frighten you the most?

phosphorus? sulfur? sodium? copper? zinc? selenium? molybdenum? fluorine? chlorine? iodine? manganese? cobalt? iron? lithium? strontium? aluminum? silicon? lead? vanadium? arsenic? bromine?

(hint: all of those are in your body already.)

Tertiary butylhydroquinone? Polysorbate 60? FD&C Red 40 (and all its friends)? Sodium nitrate? Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? Brominated vegetable oil? Acesulfame-K? Propylene glycol? Calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate? (Wish I was kidding.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are not in my body already, nor in the bodies of any animal, nor even on the periodic table of elements.
  • phxJames
    phxJames Posts: 20
    Options
    "come on, now, people. the country got fat because we quit moving, above all else"

^^^ Seems like a pretty reasonable hypothesis.

Besides, everyone knows that all the processed foods introduced in the 1950s and 1960s (and increasing ever since) is probably responsible for the approximate average increase in life expectancy of 10 years in the U.S. over the same time period. :happy:
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    I suppose all the chemicals &things you can't pronounce on the labels label these foods "unclean". I was raised on this stuff, hard to cut the habits. I miss eating spam, haven't had it in months!!!
    Blasphemy. SPAM is required in my diet. Especially with rice and eggs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

YOU'RE AWESOME!!!! Esp w/eggs &rice >.<
    Frickn drooooooling right now!!! &not to mention a whole bunch of other fatty, pork like longanisa ahhhh!!!! :devil: :heart:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

you mean the dreaded chemicals? I forgot about those. probably because I don't much mind them.

phosphorus? sulfur? sodium? copper? zinc? selenium? molybdenum? fluorine? chlorine? iodine? manganese? cobalt? iron? lithium? strontium? aluminum? silicon? lead? vanadium? arsenic? bromine?

Tertiary butylhydroquinone? Polysorbate 60? FD&C Red 40 (and all its friends)? Sodium nitrate? Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? Brominated vegetable oil? Acesulfame-K? Propylene glycol? Calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate? (Wish I was kidding.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are not in my body already, nor in the bodies of any animal, nor even on the periodic table of elements.

don't dispute that. but I also know, as I said, our bodies are incredible. they break down everything we eat into things our body uses to run. what we don't need? we get rid of.
  • melhmltn2
    melhmltn2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I began eliminating processed foods a few years ago and I can say most of what I eat at home is NOT processed, I began the journey due to my son's food allergy and took it further when I read JM book and began reading ingredients in my food.

I have suffered migraines for years, and I can happily say I have not ad one in over 6 months! When i Slipped and ate more processed food than usual, I immediately had one.

As for the convince of frozen foods: I decided if the an do it, why can't I? So, I plan one Saturday a month and cook up tons of food! Chicken breast for dinners and lunch meat, mini meat loaves, spaghetti sauce, hamburger patties, ground hamburger, etc and divide it into portion sizes (individual and family size) and freeze them. We use them through out the month and I replace what is needed the following month. I also will cook noodles and pour spaghetti sauce on top in individual containersto take to work for lunch. I do this for tacos, chicken pit pies, etc. This really saves time!
  • Rilke
    Options
    don't dispute that. but I also know, as I said, our bodies are incredible. they break down everything we eat into things our body uses to run. what we don't need? we get rid of.

To pick just one: nitrites have been proven to cause the formation of nitrosamines when combined with acids found both in the curing process of meats and in the human stomach. Nitrosamines are an undisputed carcinogen. The FDA (untrustworthy though I find it to be) has actually acknowledged that nitrites are harmful.

There are simply some things that the human body does not know how to "get rid of" and is not equipped to do so.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with them, as long as you're not eating them every single day. I definitely will pop one in the microwave every now and then when I'm feeling unmotivated to cook. I tend to lean towards the new Lean Cuisine ones that are advertised as being preservative-free. Of course, take that with a grain of salt. You never know what sneaky companies can sneak in there.

But yeah, cooking and all-organic isn't always an option for everyone. I definitely can't afford to get fresh everything. My boyfriend works out of town during the week, so it's just little old me to cook for, and I have a tendency to not want leftovers, so it's almost wasteful for me to cook. More than anything else I'll make a huge batch of homemade soup, or chicken salad, or egg salad and just nibble all week. Otherwise, I'm a salad girl. Or steamable veggie packs.

And my oven is broken currently, and I am definitely an oven cooker. I've missed my healthy casseroles and baked chicken. :(
  • jessicak0614
    jessicak0614 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what about the Kashi dark mocha almond granola bars? I know they're processed but are they really bad for you?
  • Rilke
    Options
    Okay, so what about the Kashi dark mocha almond granola bars? I know they're processed but are they really bad for you?

For specific items I really like fooducate.com. Here's the page for that particular bar:
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=50F1447A-32A4-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

My main beef with Kashi is that they masquerade as a super healthy option, but they are owned by Kellogg's and prone to quite a few of the nasties (particularly GMOs) that the parent company loads into its other lines. I find it deceptive. But at that point you are bordering on political objections as much as health related ones, and most people on this site and in the larger sphere don't care about those things.
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    The 'decades' in which people have been eating processed foods are the same decades in which obesity levels have drastically risen.

Eating these foods from time to time will have little effect but they're not something you want to become a habit. They have little nutritional value and are usually pretty high in calories/sugar/fat for what you actually get.

There are plenty of meals you can make with limited time but I think if you are truly committed to eating better you will just have to make the time...

Since I cut out processed junk and started focusing on fresher, more wholesome food I feel much healthier and energetic.

I cut out about 90% of processed foods...I do opt for low sodium choices when I do eat processed foods. I used to retain a significant amount of water, and since cutting out most of that I rarely retain anything.

I agree, if you want to do things right, you'll have to make time. It's a challenge, but for me it was definitely worth it! I will cook meals that can last a couple days and be used in different ways, and once in awhile I'll make a huge pot of soup and freeze it divided up into single serving sized containers. You can make all sorts of "processed" foods in a not processed manner and freeze them for convenience. I make homemade chicken nuggets and lowfat mozzarella sticks and freeze them, as well as freeze my own fruit and veggies. It's a give and take, but can be fun and easy to get creative. I'm going to try canning next. Good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I'm not frightened...lol. Lawd I don't scare that easily! Truth is what I am most concerned with the GMO's. I want to eat my food the way God created it. Yes, those things are in our bodies, but too much of that is not healthy for anyone.
  • taylorreisiger
    taylorreisiger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat too many processed things in day. One big reason is that you can eat more whole foods and have less calories and fat than if you ate a lot of processed crap. But I do try to even it out if I'm having a frozen meal. For instance, if you're eating a Morningstar Farms vegetable lasagna, (270), I try to even it out by having a serving of carrots, (35), or some salad with it. It's all about balance. Treat your body like a temple.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Those foods won't likely kill you and, yes, you can still lose weight on them. it depends on what your overall goal is. If it's JUST to lose weight, go for it. Personally, I want to lose weight AND live an overall healthier lifestyle, so I make time to do what I know I have to do in order to accomplish that.

I have 2 jobs, work 60-70 hours a week, run my teenager and her friends around on my off time, run every day, do circuit training most days and still manage to not eat very much processed or packaged food. Note....I don't consider frozen fruit or veggies "processed" as they don't have addatives. Same goes for frozen fish. Yes, sometimes I make a run through Sonic or Subway, but I try to limit it and I cook a LOT, eat a ton of fresh produce and fish/seafood.

One of my favorite sayings......
    "If it's important, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

:)
  • Rilke
    Options
    What happened to my buddy tsh0ck?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on here who are healthy and fit eat what you describe as "garbage". Guess us "lowly" folks aren't gonna be as healthy either...................

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I suppose all the chemicals &things you can't pronounce on the labels label these foods "unclean". I was raised on this stuff, hard to cut the habits. I miss eating spam, haven't had it in months!!!
    Blasphemy. SPAM is required in my diet. Especially with rice and eggs.

IDEA Fitness member

YOU'RE AWESOME!!!! Esp w/eggs &rice >.<
    Frickn drooooooling right now!!! &not to mention a whole bunch of other fatty, pork like longanisa ahhhh!!!! :devil: :heart:
    You just reminded me that I have longanisa in the freezer................looks like dinner is set.

IDEA Fitness member