Options

Replies

• Lovevanecia
    Options
    i might as well give up now then. :(
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    A fashion size six is a size ten sold in stores. Just so you know. If that helps at all.

I go to fashion school, so I figured I would chime in.

I think everyone will ignore you to be honest. They just want to hear someone bash models for promoting eating disorders while they continue to claim that they're not even "real people" and live in another world called the model world.

I think these posts just make people feel better about not wanting to get in shape and be healthy. Model sizes and measurements are realistic and attainable for their body type. Most models look pretty healthy as a matter of fact.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Not to make the average women feel bad but in the modelling industry standard, size 6 is indeed considered big. I repeat it is big ONLY for that industry but not to the entire general population. Just because a certain size is big for a certain industry doesn't mean it is big overall.

Modelling is a career that not everyone is meant to have. Being a model is like being an engineer, doctor or architect, wherein you need to have the degree plus a license in order for you to become one. A lawyer cannot become a doctor unless he also studied medicine plus a license to qualify him to practice taht profession. Same goes for modelling.

Don't feel bad whenever someone or an article says it. We just need to accept that not everyone is meant to become a VS or a ramp model. However it doesn't mean that you cannot be the best that you can be.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    While a 6 may be plus-sized in the model industry and I understand that's the current "norm", I still think it's awful that they don't have more variety of sizes in models. Especially when it comes to plus-sized models- the smaller plus-sized models look great, but it would be nice to see more average plus-sized models as well to give consumers a more realistic view of the clothing on a larger size. I have seen some magazines that have more average plus-sizes but not very often. Women come in all shapes and sizes, and unfortunately a lot of ED's are sparked by the desire to look "normal" like all the women they see in the fashion magazines and on the runway when they don't realize those women are usually either naturally thin or have an ED themselves.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not to mention most models are tall, so as size 2 on a model could be a way less BMI compared to a shorter normal woman who wears a size 2.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A fashion size six is a size ten sold in stores. Just so you know. If that helps at all.

I think everyone will ignore you to be honest. They just want to hear someone bash models for promoting eating disorders while they continue to claim that they're not even "real people" and live in another world called the model world.

I think these posts just make people feel better about not wanting to get in shape and be healthy. Model sizes and measurements are realistic and attainable for their body type. Most models look pretty healthy as a matter of fact.

you're completely right, not even sure why I tried. at my fittest I was a 4/6 in normal people clothes, but in fashion sizes I was still an 8/10. people just don't look into it. it's completely different. literally all of the measurements are different when you go from ready to wear to runway. it's not even remotely the same pattern.

*sigh* continue bashing models everyone.... but you have to admit, they make great hangers and don't distract from the garment they're wearing (which is the whole point...soooo I don't really get the whole idealizing thing..maybe it's because i'm around it consistently, not really sure.)
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The thing about fashion models is that they're intended to be human clothes hangers - the clothing is intended as the focal point, so it is really not helpful to the designers for them to have any shape or definition to themselves. It's not really a valid example of health, beauty, or realism, and it's definitely not anything to measure oneself by.

This is true, but also wanted to comment that I've never understood the point of models as human clothes hangers. A lot of really sexy, feminine garments look like boring, frumpy sacks on a hanger, because you can't really see where it will hug or accentuate curves.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

I think this posts just make people feel better about not wanting to get in shape and be healthy. Model sizes and measurements are realistic and attainable for their body type. Most models look pretty healthy as a matter of fact.

I find it offensive when the "real women" bash on waif thin women as anorexic, curveless etc. just to cover up their own insecurities. I was also obese before & also accepted the fate that I would never become a model because of the way I was built. However I don't see any reason to bash on those women.

And fyi, rolls of fat DOES NOT equal curves.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Well then I'm hoping to get that fat someday ;)!

^^this! :happy:
  • victoria4321
    Options

you're completely right, not even sure why I tried. at my fittest I was a 4/6 in normal people clothes, but in fashion sizes I was still an 8/10. people just don't look into it. it's completely different. literally all of the measurements are different when you go from ready to wear to runway. it's not even remotely the same pattern.

*sigh* continue bashing models everyone.... but you have to admit, they make great hangers and don't distract from the garment they're wearing (which is the whole point...soooo I don't really get the whole idealizing thing..maybe it's because i'm around it consistently, not really sure.

What is normal people clothes? I always hear "model clothes" vs "normal clothes" but the clothes that models wear go on sale for non models to purchase also. Its not like the fashion designers get paid to create a walking museum.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I was a plus size model when I lived in California, I was a size 12 at 5'8"!!!

I'd KILL to be a size 12 right now 23 years later!!!!
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I only model bash because I'm so short actually. I wish i had tall people genes!
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Assanine. And we wonder why there are more eating disorders than ever in recent years. Disgusting.

Yeah lets blame the models for all the eating disorders and totally ignore the fact that it's a mental illness.
  • mlewon
    Options

*sigh* continue bashing models everyone.... but you have to admit, they make great hangers and don't distract from the garment they're wearing (which is the whole point...soooo I don't really get the whole idealizing thing..maybe it's because i'm around it consistently, not really sure.

What is normal people clothes? I always hear "model clothes" vs "normal clothes" but the clothes that models wear go on sale for non models to purchase also. Its not like the fashion designers get paid to create a walking museum.

the main difference is that runway is completely architectural and generally does not have all the fixtures of normal clothing. also, runway is single items produced individually while ready to wear ("normal") clothes are mass produced, generally by machines, for the public to purchase. runway is also usually all hand made. a lot of the time the patterns are also altered not just for size when it goes into a store collection but also for the average height of women (or men) as opposed to the height of the model that it was fitted for. it needs to be remembered that every garment on the runway was tailored specifically for the model that is wearing it.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can`t wait to rock that plus-sized 6 in a year
  • pamfm
    Options

What do you mean by "fashion size"? Does that apply to high-end fashion, or like, industry prototype/show garments?
  • mlewon
    Options

What do you mean by "fashion size"? Does that apply to high-end fashion, or like, industry prototype/show garments?

fashion size is the size on the runway. the size models wear.
    it's usually called 2 sizes smaller than what is sold as ready to wear in stores (i.e macy's, tjmaxx, etc.). so a 6 runway is a 10 ready to wear, 8 is a 12, etc. I'm not talking about specialty boutiques, they carry whatever they want, it depends who they buy from.
  • pamfm
    Options

it's usually called 2 sizes bigger than what is sold as ready to wear in stores (i.e macy's, tjmaxx, etc.). so a 6 is a 10, 8 is a 12, etc. I'm not talking about specialty boutiques, they carry whatever they want, it depends who they buy from.

That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that before! And it is reassuring to know that a size 2, 5'11" model might really be a size 4 or 6, which I still think is unnervingly thin, but better than it originally sounds.

It seems weird to me to dramatically alter the pattern for mass production after show. Is it altered so it fits, lets say a "normal" size 8 person the same way it would fit a "fashion" size 2 model? Like increasing the bust/waist/hip ratios? Or is it altered even further?
  • victoria4321
    Options

it's usually called 2 sizes bigger than what is sold as ready to wear in stores (i.e macy's, tjmaxx, etc.). so a 6 is a 10, 8 is a 12, etc. I'm not talking about specialty boutiques, they carry whatever they want, it depends who they buy from.

That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that before! And it is reassuring to know that a size 2, 5'11" model might really be a size 4 or 6, which I still think is unnervingly thin, but better than it originally sounds.

It seems weird to me to dramatically alter the pattern for mass production after show. Is it altered so it fits, lets say a "normal" size 8 person the same way it would fit a "fashion" size 2 model? Like increasing the bust/waist/hip ratios? Or is it altered even further?

The size 2 model is also a size 2 in the stores. They just make clothes bigger all over. When you go shopping you'll actually notice that the more expensive clothes often cut pretty big too. That's why size 0 and 00 were created. They're basically a size 2 and 4.

If you buy vintage clothes they'll appear to be cut smaller but they're just going by what the old sizing measurements used to be.

If you look here for example

http://www.shopbop.com/victoria-peplum-dress-alice-olivia/vp/v=1/845524441944186.htm?folderID=2534374302063518&fm=other-shopbysize&colorId=12560

Look at the size and fit for that dress and the models measurements.