Embarrassed to exercise

Options

Replies

• MissLynne10
    MissLynne10 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was really embarrassed to exercise in front of people when I first got my gym membership. My gym is relatively small, but still a chain, so for the first month I was going to the gym after 11pm when rarely anyone else was there. After awhile I realized that I really needed to workout during normal hours, so one day I just went during lunch time. Yeah, I was worried about people staring, but then you realize that everyone is at the gym for the same reason, to improve their body, that's what made me feel comfortable enough to go during the day. It doesn't matter what others think, me just being there let's everyone know I'm there to better myself, so what does it matter what I look like now? I'm gonna look super hot in a few months anyways. :tongue:
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    I started with dvds then just joined the gym. I don't go on the treadmill because I don't want to jiggle everywhere (also have a knee injury) so bike and cross trainer is where I live. I don't care what people think.I work hard, sweat buckets. At the end of the day people are there for the same reason!
    Very true! I'd probably do the same actually.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When I first took up running again I was hugely embarrased to go out, but I braved it out (wearing a long t-shirt over tracky bottoms & a baseball cap pulled low, I admit) but you know I soon learnt that I was out there doing some exercise, being healthy & thats what mattered. The fact I had to concentrate very hard on what I was doing also took away any embarrasment.

You could start by wearing clothes you can run in but start off going out just for a walk until your confidence picks up yiou can easily pick up into a run if you feel comfortable.

I now not only go for a run but am frequently found in Tescos on a Saturday afternoon in my running kit and last weekend I needed to go to the post office and the bank so I worked it into my run. You may feel strange at first but honestly it does pass.

Give it a go, as you say outdoor exercising is cheap & can be fitted in anytime. You wont regret it.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I used to be. I was worried what others thought of seeing a 400+ lbs man out there exercising. I only worked out late at night, went to the gym super early to avoid people seeing me. I am near sighted and I wear contacts most of the time. I remember when I was in my 400's, I was in a rush to get to the gym to avoid people. I popped in my contacts without washing my hands first. They burned my eyes soon as I got there. I took them out and had to do my routine super slow since I could not see at all. People started trickling in and I got nervous. I then laughed. I couldn't see them I felt stupid worrying all this time.

Since then I stopped caring what others think or say. My health is more important. I even been going to a Zumba class at my YMCA for a while now. 1 guy in a class of 20-30 women. I suck at it but I have fun and most important of all, it burns calories. Sure there's probably people pointing and laughing at me but I can't see or hear them over the sound of how awesome I am.
    I think I need to get over that barrier of caring about what other people think of me. You're right, health is far more important. I've heard that zumba is meant to be really fun, I might look into joining a class once I have enough £££! I doubt there's people laughing at you, like others have said here, everyone who does exercise is doing so for the same sorts of reasons.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I'm with the home dvd's to start with & when you feel ready to tackle walking & yikes even jogging, do what I do, wear sunnies so you dont have to make eye contact with anyone at the park & just go for it....everyone is so busy with their own stuff they dont even notice you anyway ;)
    Sunglasses - genius idea! Haha! :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just start walking. When your ready, begin mixing running in. You can do the running in the neighborhood where no on is up or out! My daughter did this. She's thin, but even she was afraid what she would look like running. Now she runs all the time. She said no one really pays any attention to her!
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I was really embarrassed to exercise in front of people when I first got my gym membership. My gym is relatively small, but still a chain, so for the first month I was going to the gym after 11pm when rarely anyone else was there. After awhile I realized that I really needed to workout during normal hours, so one day I just went during lunch time. Yeah, I was worried about people staring, but then you realize that everyone is at the gym for the same reason, to improve their body, that's what made me feel comfortable enough to go during the day. It doesn't matter what others think, me just being there let's everyone know I'm there to better myself, so what does it matter what I look like now? I'm gonna look super hot in a few months anyways. :tongue:

Go you! I need to steal some of that positivity please :D
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK - but I know my uni gym isn't too expensive for the students, so if I get fit enough over the summer that I feel comfortable joining a gym I'll probably do that.

Have you got "The Gym" near you? That's what I'm planning on signing up to...it's from £10.99 a month depending on where you live but it's a 24 hour one which is the main reason I'm considering it as I'm hoping it would be a lot quieter later on. Also noticed if you have an NUS extra card you don't have to pay the joining fee :)
    You also don't have to take out a contract so you can cancel anytime :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    youtube, hulu, and netflix all have free workout routines you can follow. no equipment needed.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    When I first took up running again I was hugely embarrased to go out, but I braved it out (wearing a long t-shirt over tracky bottoms & a baseball cap pulled low, I admit) but you know I soon learnt that I was out there doing some exercise, being healthy & thats what mattered. The fact I had to concentrate very hard on what I was doing also took away any embarrasment.

You could start by wearing clothes you can run in but start off going out just for a walk until your confidence picks up yiou can easily pick up into a run if you feel comfortable.

I now not only go for a run but am frequently found in Tescos on a Saturday afternoon in my running kit and last weekend I needed to go to the post office and the bank so I worked it into my run. You may feel strange at first but honestly it does pass.

Give it a go, as you say outdoor exercising is cheap & can be fitted in anytime. You wont regret it.
    I have heard with running people tend to find it gets easier (or at least, they can go for longer) the more often they try, so I guess it builds up. I just worry I'll be put off by not improving quickly enough. Incorporating errands into running is a good idea - I do that with cycling already but I doubt i burn many calories cycling seeing as where I live at uni is pretty much all flat!
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Just start walking. When your ready, begin mixing running in. You can do the running in the neighborhood where no on is up or out! My daughter did this. She's thin, but even she was afraid what she would look like running. Now she runs all the time. She said no one really pays any attention to her!

I think I'll give running/walking a try, see how it goes :)

Everyone's comments are really helping actually.
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm hopeless at running and was really embarassed to do my walking 1 min, running 1 min as I thought people would laugh at me. This was until my (very wise!) fiance pointed out 2 things:

If you're going slower than another runner then they'll be past you before you no it so no time to be embarassed

You're lapping everyone on the couch, no matter how slow you go - if they want to judge you then let me, it'll be them who are heading for early heart attacks and Type II diabeties not you

I heeded his advice, downloaded my C25k app and for the first time in my life went jogging outside. And you know what? I LOVED it. No-one looked at me funny like I thought they would, I didn't hear any 'proper' runners chortling to themselves as they sped past me. In fact, the only person who actually acknowledged my existance was a labrador puppy who quite enjoyed chasing along beside me for a couple of minutes before her owner called her back!

You'll be fine. JUST DO IT and in 6 months time I'm sure we'll both look back and laugh to ourselves that we were every worried about it.

GOOD LUCK
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I work out on the kinect and home dvds, I dont go near the gym as Ive convinced myself its full of skinny people trotting along quite happily while I'd be the fat person red in the face, huffing and puffing ! Plus its expensive ...
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK - but I know my uni gym isn't too expensive for the students, so if I get fit enough over the summer that I feel comfortable joining a gym I'll probably do that.

Have you got "The Gym" near you? That's what I'm planning on signing up to...it's from £10.99 a month depending on where you live but it's a 24 hour one which is the main reason I'm considering it as I'm hoping it would be a lot quieter later on. Also noticed if you have an NUS extra card you don't have to pay the joining fee :)
    You also don't have to take out a contract so you can cancel anytime :)

Oh I think there is one where I go to uni actually, and that's affordable (especially if I get a job). It would mean I wouldn't bump into people I go to uni with which is a bonus... Unfortunately the uni of southampton doesn't support the NUS system (which is really irritating) but perhaps they'll be nice and let me use my normal student card... unlikely I know!

No contract is a definite plus, I think I'll look into that once I'm back in soton. :)
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    youtube, hulu, and netflix all have free workout routines you can follow. no equipment needed.
    I never even thought of youtube, good idea!! Thanks :)
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm hopeless at running and was really embarassed to do my walking 1 min, running 1 min as I thought people would laugh at me. This was until my (very wise!) fiance pointed out 2 things:

If you're going slower than another runner then they'll be past you before you no it so no time to be embarassed

You're lapping everyone on the couch, no matter how slow you go - if they want to judge you then let me, it'll be them who are heading for early heart attacks and Type II diabeties not you

I heeded his advice, downloaded my C25k app and for the first time in my life went jogging outside. And you know what? I LOVED it. No-one looked at me funny like I thought they would, I didn't hear any 'proper' runners chortling to themselves as they sped past me. In fact, the only person who actually acknowledged my existance was a labrador puppy who quite enjoyed chasing along beside me for a couple of minutes before her owner called her back!

You'll be fine. JUST DO IT and in 6 months time I'm sure we'll both look back and laugh to ourselves that we were every worried about it.

GOOD LUCK

That sounds great :) I will definitely give it a go (once I get a better sports bra, I wouldn't want to traumatise anyone)
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I work out on the kinect and home dvds, I dont go near the gym as Ive convinced myself its full of skinny people trotting along quite happily while I'd be the fat person red in the face, huffing and puffing ! Plus its expensive ...

I'm gonna try youtube first to see what sort of thing suits me and then I'll probably invest in a DVD! But I don't want to be stuck indoors the whole time, I like getting out, so hopefully I'll work up the nerve to go jogging too.
  • betterme1291
    Options
    glad i'm not the only one. i'm going to use DVDs/my Wii/neftlix etc until i'm comfortable enough to go to a gym. if i do decide to join a gym it'll probably be curves :p
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Running Trampoline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4texbTwDwe0

I got mine at Walmart for 30 dollars
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Running Trampoline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4texbTwDwe0

I got mine at Walmart for 30 dollars

Oooh I know what you mean now! Yeah that looks like it could be useful :) And I guess it must add variation too!