Carbs/Weightloss??

Options

Replies

• Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    Cutting out and/or lowering carb intake makes weight loss more efficient. Cal in, cal out is a general rule, but by taking in the right macros your body becomes more efficient at burning FAT. Yes, a lot of initial weight is water, but it also makes burning fat quicker.

What makes you believe this is true?

Experience and research... I'm not saying my statement is absolute, but I believe macro proportions can play a large part. Especially with carbs, sugars, and insulin levels. Though an extreme, someone that took in 1500 cals of carbs and sugar a day for a month would most likely lose a lot more lbm than someone eating high protein, low carb; Even if they ended up the same weight.

Just my perspective.

You can't use that example though- being protein deficient is a very different situation than 15-20% protein SAD vs 40% protein "low carb" diet.

Still disproves losing fat is simply cals in/ cals out. That was my point.
  • sabbychill
    Options
    I really do think u have to do what works best for you. I had to play around with a couple of different ratios in my diet to achieve any weight loss. It may take u a couple of weeks or even months to find out what works (took a few months for me) but everyone is different and it can depend on whether or not diabetes is a factor for you or any other health issues.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I find that my weight loss is faster when I skip starches at dinner. So I mostly only eat them 2X a day, at lunch or breakfast. And occasionally I'll have a few crackers or something for dessert if I am feeling off. I don't feel full enough, if I don't have enough carbs, but eating "less" seems to be more successful for me.

Other than cutting down on starches, I still have plenty of fruits and veggies, and pay no attention to those. I also try to limit added sugar.

Also, it looks like some recent research supports adding protein, and less carbs (lower glycemic ones) is effective.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/06/26/certain-diets-may-help-body-burn-more-calories-study
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. I have PCOS and insulin resistance (which a lot of overweight people do), so yes, cutting carbs does help me lose weight. Nothing drastic. Around 100 g (30%) seems to be what a lot of people with insulin resistance do.

This.

I low-carb after advice from my primary care dr. and dietician.
    No sugar.
    White flour replaced with whole wheat and grains.
    White rice replaced with brown.
    White starchy pasta replaced with whole wheat pastas containing omega 3 or low carb version.
    Starchy potatoes & other veggie are limited.
    Fruit is limited to mornings only so my body will metabolize the sugar.
    Everything is lean & grean.

Basically the meal plan she gave me came from the American Diebetes Association.

I suggest anyone with a health problem work with their dr. for a plan that works for them. Weight loss plans are not a "one size fits all" product.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    for me. low carb all the way (under 20 grams, in ketosis)
    calorie restriction doesn't work for me. i'm miserable, and i lose weight so slowly!

ketosis is just a godsend.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    calorie restriction doesn't work for me. i'm miserable, and i lose weight so slowly!

I'm really not trying to be snarky, but do you plan to continue that forever?To me, it just seems SO restrictive! If you mess up one day and eat just enough carbs to get out of ketosis, how long does it take to get back on track?
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options

I'm really not trying to be snarky, but do you plan to continue that forever?To me, it just seems SO restrictive! If you mess up one day and eat just enough carbs to get out of ketosis, how long does it take to get back on track?

Ketosis only takes a day or two to get back into.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    when I do low carb eating i lose weight,by looking at what people wrote it seems those who do no exercise like me , have to reduce carbs to lose weight.just me saying.welcome to mfp.

I was on the treadmill 65minutes 3-4x a week PLUS 20-30 minutes of strength training 3-4x a week...and watching calories, and still struggled to lose 7lbs in 3 months. Cut the carbs and lost 12.5lbs in less than 2 months.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Still disproves losing fat is simply cals in/ cals out. That was my point.

Anecdotal evidence. Your results are not universal, so it doesnt disprove anything.

Check out the guy who lost 27 lbs, 9% body fat, lowered his bad cholesterol and didn't increase exercise being on a TWINKIE DIET. You know what he did? He restricted his calories. Just that.

Not saying it's safe or healthy, but just showing that different things work for different people.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I am convinced, it is not just calories in, calories out. If I eat 1500 cal in veggies, I lose weight fast, if I eat 1500 cal in white bread, donuts, cake etc. I lose weight, but very slow. I did this self experiment before.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What about portion size? A small serving of pasta served with vegetables and a home made pasta sauce then a huge bowl covered in cheese. Not to sure what you're having.

Feel free to add me everyone.

If you pick the right foods, you can have HUGE portions and still lose weight.

just about every morning I have 2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, and a low carb/high fiber tortilla. Only about 350 calories/20 carbs/9 fiber ( so 11net carbs) and I am full until lunch. At lunch I make a huge salad ( I use a bowl that holds 7 cups) with chicken, cukes, mushrooms, sometimes berries. depending on what is for dinner, sometimes I have a *bad* snack--one night it was an Atkins fudge brownie with 2T of PB on top. Does it sound like I deprive myself?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BTW - low carbs = 30 pounds lost in 5 months.
    I eat high carb, and lost 60 pounds in 6 months. Barring a metabolic disorder, and keeping protein constant, low carb doesn't offer any fat loss advantage.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Going to quote myself from another thread again beause I'm lazy and have a sprained wrist, so typing blows. I will add to this though that barring medically diagnosed conditions (not what your self medicating *kitten* looked in the mirror and decided was afflicting you today) these rules hold true.

If calories in vs calories out isn't everything, do people on low carb diets still consider how many calories they've eaten?

I've been eating relatively low carb (70-80g per day) and on a calorie deficit for a few weeks, and I'm losing nicely and feel good on the low carb diet, but my hubby tells me I'm too obsessed with the calories, and that the calories don't matter ... I should just count the carbs.

Any thoughts?

Your body uses energy. It measures this energy in units called calories.

Macronutrients provide these calories, and each have a specific grams/calories conversion.

One gram carbohydrate - 4 calories
    One gram protein - 4 calories
    One gram fat - 9 calories

It doesn't matter what you read, what you think, what your stupid hippy friend told you; your body obeys the laws of physics. It doesn't matter if you are eating low carb, high protein, high fat; or that weird fad diet said hippy friend told you about. Your body has energy demands, and it will go about meeting those demands one way or another.

Yes, what you eat can affect your health and well being, but caloric demands are caloric demands. If you get nine calories of fat per gram from bacon, several times throughout the day, versus nine calories of fat per gram of salmon; will your cardiovascular health differ in the long run? Quite likely. If you get four calories per gram of protein from white rice versus four calories per gram of protein from quinoa is your lean body mass going to be affected in the long run? Probably.

However, in either case if the caloric inputs are the same. The energy consumed versus expended is the same. Your metabolism remains fairly constant, the only factors that really affect it are age, sex, height, weight etc. Everything else, "thermogenic" foods, extreme calorie deficits etc don't really make it budge as much as people like to think. Why do extremely fat people lose weight very fast? Because it takes much more energy to sustain that giant frame, puts more stress on the system...and obese people have been storing a very rich source of fuel on their bodies in the form of fat.

It's like if you tow a load with your car, or hell, drive the average vehicle faster than 70 mph; you start to consume more fuel.

So to circle all the way back to your question; yes of course you f*cking count calories still. This isn't witchcraft. If you eat less carbs, yes you will retain less water, your "fat" loss will progress more smoothly in a visible sense on the scale and in general fluctuations in weight a person goes through just in a day, but it all breaks down to calories in versus calories out.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Now I will touch a bit on ketosis; ketosis is very effective though not sustainable for targeted fat loss. The cliff notes of ketosis is that it puts your body into a state where it is readily metabolising calorie rich fat, to process not as calorie rich and harder to break down into energy; protein.

However the principles are still the same, and even on ketosis you do it in cycles, and "carb load" inbetween.
  • SThomas215
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers Points Plus a little over a year ago. I lost 40 lbs. in 5 months and really did eat what I wanted to eat--the key was portion control and moderate exercise. I am a type 2 diabetic. Pre WW, my A1C was 13. At my lowest point during WW, my A1C had dropped to 6.9. My dr. actually called me in person to congratulate me. I didn't go low carb at all...I simply followed the points.

WW has gotten to be quite expensive though--so I'm trying out MFP. I'm seeing that WW points equate to roughly 40 calories each, and the MFP breakdown for carbs, fat, protein and fiber are about the same as well.

I really think that weight loss is as individual as we are...different things work for different people.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So basically what people are saying is that if you restrict your carbs AND your calories, when you hit your goal weight, you can eat as many carbs as you want as long as you're not over maintenance and not gain a single lb back. Interesting.
  • chris1816
    Options
    So basically what people are saying is that if you restrict your carbs AND your calories, when you hit your goal weight, you can eat as many carbs as you want as long as you're not over maintenance and not gain a single lb back. Interesting.

Yes, you will not gain a single pound of FAT back if you eat under or within maintenance and pack the carbs in.

Absolutely correct.
  • SThomas215
    Options

I don't plan on counting carbs at all, only calories. I find that with counting calories and avoiding too much sugar, things work for me. I just need to STICK to it. That's an elf control problem.:)
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Eat the good carbs! Make sure you are eating the correct percentage of your macros. according to your age, weight etc. the protein, carbs, fat, calories....

good carbs: brown rice, sweet potatoes...

Stay away from the bleached white rice, white potatoes, pastas...
  • mendezru
    mendezru Posts: 3
    Options
    I seem to have a problem keeping my daily carb intake low. Most of which come from fruits and veggies and whole grains but It's still always about 50% or more over my fats and protein. It's hard to cut down. Ive cut down eating rice and pastas but it seems i cant get away from carbs. What do you recommend? What low carb foods are you eating.