This is embarassing.....

Options
tolygal
tolygal Posts: 602 Member
I have been pretty focused on lifting for the last year or so, and while I do work up a nice sweat, it's not usually overwhelming. But this week, I've spent a lot of time doing straight aerobic/cardio work and I finish DRENCHED in sweat. Which is fine - I don't mind dripping sweat - that's what I'm there for. My problem is that it looks like I peed my pants - it's really kind of gross looking. So after an hour busting ars on the elliptical machine I want to go to go to the weight area to mess around and lift some heavy stuff to try to minimize losing any of the muscle I may have added in the last year. Or I want to go stretch for a while.

While I mostly don't care what people think I look like at the gym, I don't want people to think I'm gross!! So I'm wondering, would you be grossed out if you saw someone in the weight room (or doing something else) when they are that sweaty down in that body region? (I wipe down the equipment when I'm done.) I'm wondering.... should I pack a change of clothes or something or just skip the weights/stretching and get the heck out (not sure I would really take the time or effort to change if that was the suggestion). Like I said, it's not that I am overly worried about what anyone else thinks - but I can't help being embarrassed and self conscious about it.

edited to add: I'm doing cardio first right now intentionally (I explain below) and I do wear black pants. Just wanted to add that here while I still can in case you don't see it below since a lot of comments suggest these two things.

Replies

• rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lift weights, then do cardio
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wear black pants....and wipe down the machines, everybody sweats...
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    wear black
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It makes you look like a WINNER!!!!
  • Mkennadi
    Mkennadi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone sweats when working out. I think if you were to walk around a grocery store like that it would be gross, but given the fact you are at a gym its no big deal. Its just a sign of a good workout! :)
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options

^ this :)
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I wear black pants and it still shows. I just don't care. I am there to workout and people can bite me if they take issue with it :)

I have recently switched to lifting first and then my cardio. I had read quite a bit about doing it this way for different reasons. If it really bothers you, this is a good alternative too.

Happy Sweating!!
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Like many other posters said, what about wearing black pants? I have the same problem, and I always wear black bottoms with a longer top. But in any case, you are there to work out and that is all that matters.

Enjoy the sweat!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    lift weights, then do cardio

^^This.. I am the same way when I am done with cardio at the gym I am drenched, like I was walking around in a massive rainstorm.. So I lift weights then do cardio, then on your way out or when you get home have a protein drink
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Means you have worked hard. Wear your sweat with pride. Just wipe down mashines after. Or do lifting first then cardo. This is what I do now because of the very same thing. I used to workout much harder when I was younger and never broke a sweat now I just pour.
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    lift first, then cardio! and leave trails of sweat all over the damn gym. you earned the right.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

^ this :)

You're at the gym to work hard and a side effect of that is sweating. Continue kicking *kitten* and don't worry about what anybody else thinks. If anybody think you're gross and says something to you then they don't belong in a gym, that's what Pilates classes are for.
  • Araucaria29
    Araucaria29 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would say only bring an extra change of gym clothes if you are uncomfortable working out in your sweaty pants. If not, then just do your thing :) The black pants suggestion is a good idea.

They aren't called sweat pants for nothing :P
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I am the same way! So, I lift weights first, and then sweat my *kitten* off on the elliptical :D
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i think people would only think you peed your pants if that was the only part of you that was wet! If you are in a gym, your hair and face are sweaty, your shirt looks a little wet, etc, then no worries. Otherwise black pants can minimize it, or loose running shorts with a pair of tight/compression shorts underneath, just so you dont flash anything doing squats and whatnot:)
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty focused on lifting for the last year or so, and while I do work up a nice sweat, it's not usually overwhelming. But this week, I've spent a lot of time doing straight aerobic/cardio work and I finish DRENCHED in sweat. Which is fine - I don't mind dripping sweat - that's what I'm there for. My problem is that it looks like I peed my pants - it's really kind of gross looking. So after an hour busting ars on the elliptical machine I want to go to go to the weight area to mess around and lift some heavy stuff to try to minimize losing any of the muscle I may have added in the last year. Or I want to go stretch for a while.

While I mostly don't care what people think I look like at the gym, I don't want people to think I'm gross!! So I'm wondering, would you be grossed out if you saw someone in the weight room (or doing something else) when they are that sweaty down in that body region? (I wipe down the equipment when I'm done.) I'm wondering.... should I pack a change of clothes or something or just skip the weights/stretching and get the heck out (not sure I would really take the time or effort to change if that was the suggestion). Like I said, it's not that I am overly worried about what anyone else thinks - but I can't help being embarrassed and self conscious about it.

You should lift before doing cardio. You will have more to give during lifting if you don't deplete your energy stores with cardio exercises first. It will also help with the sweating thing since you can go straight to the locker room after your cardio.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I sweat just the opposite. After running, I will often lift some weights and my shirt is usually soaked. I always take another shirt and change. Not that big of a deal to me. I don't usually pay attention to other people at the gym unless they are doing something strange. So, I wouldn't worry about your pants, but if it bothers you, you can always just change quickly.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I used to lift first because that was my focus. But I'm switching my focus for a little while, and after a good lifting session, I don't have the strength to push out the endurance cardio I'm looking for. I'll go back to focusing on lifting again in a few weeks, but for now I want to focus on endurance work. Kind of like right now, I'm not lifting as well because after the endurance work, I don't have the strength I used to. I'm okay with that because I'll get back to it. For now, I just want to do a little bit to try to maintain what I've built already as I work on other things.

I do wear black pants - tight fitting cuz it's more comfortable for me. I supposed if I did loose clothing, it might help, but then I'd be miserable...
  • danyeinarson
    Options
    if you're not sweating at the gym, then you're doing it wrong. You are clearly an inspiration if you're drenched. Like everyone has said, if it makes YOU uncomfortable, bring a change of clothes or wear darker ones. If you're ok with looking like a boss, keep doing what you're doing. In the end, you'll be the one looking great :) Good luck!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I ran into this when I was doing a spin class 3x a week. The worst part was, the new navy PT shirts are neoprene but the shorts are not... so while lifting the shirt would dry off, but the shorts would still be wet, and sitting on a bike, most of my sweat (after soaking the shirt) would transfer to the shorts. I dealt with it by not caring... if someone thinks I pee'd, then thats one more stupid person I never have to talk to :D