How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We got engaged 7 months after we met, and married 14 months later. When we got married, I was 21, he was 30, and our son was 5 months old. :P We're celebrating our 10th anniversary this September, and are very happy! :)
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Kind of random and funny but he just sent me a text with an SRT8 jeep that said "After we get married we should get one of these together :))" So we're on the same page, but it is a matter of when... I need to be patient but these texts just seem like teasing!

might be his way of making sure you'll say yes if he proposes... men are strange creatures sometimes :wink:
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't put too much stock in marriage - it is a piece of paper given to you by the government approving your relationship. I don't need someone to approve my relationship and I've gotten used to the "why aren't you two married" comments. I'm not a religious person, so that doesn't come into play. Besides, there was always an expectation in my family that marriage = kids and my Sweetie and I decided early on that we would not be having children. So, as of July 1st we will have been together for 19 years and we're not engaged yet! Although we've talked about marriage recently simply so I can add him to my health insurance. My employer doesn't offer coverage to "domestic partners" and we're not getting any younger.

Actually, the purpose of marraige in the legal sense isn't so that the government can approve the relationship. It is actually more like a business partnership. The marraige contract protects you the same way a contract does in any other sense. I would never dream of going into a business and purchasing a building, hiring employees, taking out a line of credit and signing letters of guarantee with a business partner unless I knew that I had some legal protection in case my business partner/s decided to just walk out and leave me financially ruined.

I always wonder why couples are willing to move in together, purchase homes and cars, have children and pool their money into one checking account and then don't see the need to get married. At least with a marraige contract, while divorce is possible both parties have the protections a contract provides.
    Not very romantic, but you're absolutely right!

No actually your not right, in many states all of that equates to being "common law" so it doesn't matter if they walk out and leave they still have to pay for the divorce.

Granted there are a few States that have "common law" however each State still has specific tests for what provides protection and what protection it provides. However, assuming that there is a State that after a specific time period determines you are "legally married" in the eyes of the law without having received an official marraige license my question is out of curiousity. Why not get married then? No need to answer since this wasn't the original point to this thread, just throwing it out there as a alternate point of view.
  • Allison714
    Allison714 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was with someone for 6 years, and it never happened.....felt like I was waiting around forever too.

I was with the next one for 2 years and bought a house together and it lasted like 7 months after buying the house before everything totally bombed.

My current...we have been together for 3 years....got engaged 3 months ago, and are planning a wedding for May 2013. We dated long distance for a year, he moved from Orlando to Tampa....and then a year later we moved out here to CO together. I felt like I was waiting on this one too....but then again it's mainly due to the fact that we have been through so much together already that it's like ok now what.

Either way, don't judge by whatever anyone else is doing. A lot of things play into your situation, and if it feels forced, that's not really what it's about. You're just getting a name change and the wedding anyway. It's about you 2 and your love for one another, and when it happens, it will. Plus, trying to cram a wedding and buying a house all into the same year sounds super stressful anyway!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2.5 years.
  • SerenaNatasha
    Options
    5 months. engaged for a year. Our wedding is in September :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    7 mos. before engagement, and then married 4 months later.

HOWEVER, we were 32 and 44 years old, and each already had well-advanced careers, lived around the wolrd, and owned property on our own. We have now been married 12 years and have 4 kids.

I still think people should not live together or make significant purchases together until both have made the greater commitment of getting married. This is because it adds significant pressure to relationships that have skipped an essential foundation step. Typically, living together or buying a house imply different degrees of commitment to each party, which eventually wears on both partners, when one is not ready or willing to make the final step. Often, children are then added to the mix (intentionally, or not--sometimes intentionally only by 1 partner), and BAM, it's put-up or shut-up time. This is never a good thing.

Next is the big meltdown of "you pushed me, you pressured me, I resent you, I deserve more, our child deserves more, etc, etc.

Call the lawyers, start writing the checks and it's over before it ever began.

Of course married people get divorced, HOWEVER if one or neither person ever intended to get married anyway, there is much less chance of success.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Got engaged one year after dating.

Married 8 months after engagement.
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I were together for 4 months before we got engaged.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. We have known each other our whole life (growing up he was my brother's best friend). He has asked me to move in, but I wanted to be traditional. I wanted a ring before that happened. Thus, I still live at home with my parents because I don't have a ring yet.

Living together, buying a house together, being engaged, etc. is a huge step. Do not take it lightly. Don't feel pressured to do it because everyone else around is. I am the oldest of my girlfriends here are there stories
    *One was married, had a kid, divorced, had another kid, and engaged again she is literally 22 years old!
    *One is married and has been for almost 3 years now (she is 24)
    *One is married and has a kid and has been for 4 years (she is 23)
    *One has a kid and live-in boyfriend (not the dad)
    *One is single but owns her own home

So believe me.. i understand the feeling! However, I have enjoyed taking our relationship slow. have you talked about marriage? Do you feel that you are 100% positive he is the one? Does he feel the same way!? do some talking with him!
  • dianer75935
    dianer75935 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    4 months were married 2 years later been married little over a year and I love him more everyday
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The following are just my thoughts - which doesn't mean they should be considered as anything of importance. My husband and I started living together after about 3 months.. he wanted to get married, I wasn't so sure about it, so we never got 'engaged'. But we finally did marry, and that was 34 years ago. If you are thinking about getting married to help you maintain and/or building a strong relationship - marriage doesn't give you that, that's something you need to work on achieving or maintaining every day whether you are married or not. Would I do marry again.. strangely maybe not, even after all of these years, I'm still not a big fan of marriage per se, I think its major value is for your children's security, and the surviving spouse, just in case something happens to one of you.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point with my SO that we're talking about marriage a lot. It's been almost 2 years but we're planning on waiting another year and a half. This is mostly because we now live 14 hours apart.

I've always felt you should know within 1 year if you're going to marry that person. Not that you should get engaged right away or start asking them about popping the question, but 1 year is a pretty good time frame to go through the ups and downs and really know what the person is like.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Four years.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years, but it hasn't been consistent. :-/ We broke up for like a year and then got back together, so this time around has only been a little over a year. IDK, I am kind of giving up on ever getting married. I don't think its ever going to happen in this relationship, but I love him and I don't want anyone else, so I guess my wedding dress dreams just need to die. I am 26 and it sucks seeing all of my friends getting married and my boyfriend telling me he doesn't believe in marriage. :-/ I guess I understand why he doesn't, though. Both of his parents have been married more than once and none of his family really has stayed in their marriages, so he hasn't had good examples... my parents, on the other hand, have been married for 27 years. My grandparents were together until death did they part. Only 2 people have gotten a divorce, one aunt and one uncle... so yea. I believe it works because I have seen it work, he believes that marriages are the end of relationships because thats what he has seen.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. We have known each other our whole life (growing up he was my brother's best friend). He has asked me to move in, but I wanted to be traditional. I wanted a ring before that happened. Thus, I still live at home with my parents because I don't have a ring yet.

Living together, buying a house together, being engaged, etc. is a huge step. Do not take it lightly. Don't feel pressured to do it because everyone else around is. I am the oldest of my girlfriends here are there stories
    *One was married, had a kid, divorced, had another kid, and engaged again she is literally 22 years old!
    *One is married and has been for almost 3 years now (she is 24)
    *One is married and has a kid and has been for 4 years (she is 23)
    *One has a kid and live-in boyfriend (not the dad)
    *One is single but owns her own home

So believe me.. i understand the feeling! However, I have enjoyed taking our relationship slow. have you talked about marriage? Do you feel that you are 100% positive he is the one? Does he feel the same way!? do some talking with him!

I don't feel pressured to get married because other people are doing it. I said in my post that it was merely an observation. We've talked about it yes. I actually got a text him about an hour ago with a picture of jeep that he wants saying we should get one together when we get married. I know marriage doesn't always work out how people expect it to, but it is a committment I'm willing to make and would like to do so.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ah marriage ..... to each his own
    met and moved into together 5 months into relationship
    enagaged at 11months
    married a year after that, I was 25 and he was 23
    in two months will be celebrating 9 years and I love him more now then the day I married him.
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    We got engaged fifteen months into our relationship and then spent thirty-three months engaged due to my age because I was engaged at 20 years old. I agree with other posters, though, in that nothing ends well when you compare your relationship to other people's relationships. Every couple is unique. However, it may be appropriate for you to discuss with your SO your life goals, especially marriage and children. If you are on the same page on both counts, then don't worry about a schedule and, especially if you love him, don't give him an ultimatum.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    2months, though we were talking about marriage within the first 3 weeks or so.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    We got engaged fifteen months into our relationship and then spent thirty-three months engaged due to my age because I was engaged at 20 years old. I agree with other posters, though, in that nothing ends well when you compare your relationship to other people's relationships. Every couple is unique. However, it may be appropriate for you to discuss with your SO your life goals, especially marriage and children. If you are on the same page on both counts, then don't worry about a schedule and, especially if you love him, don't give him an ultimatum.

As I've said many times I'm not comparing my relationship to others it was just an observation. I know for a fact my relationship is A LOT different than anyone else's. I am not going to give him an ultimatum either because I'm not going to lose the guy I love if he isn't ready yet, and we are on the same page with what we want in life as this has been discussed. I just WANT to be a different place than we are, not because anyone else tells me I should or because I'm comparing my life to anyone elses. I'm ready for next steps because I feel like that is what is best for US. Every relationship has natural progression it should follow, for us to be at the same status of boyfriend and girlfriend as we were when we were 15 seems insane because we're so much different than we were then and our relationship is stronger than that, I feel like our level of committment to each other should reflect that.