McD habit: must I squash it?

Options

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, and we aren't the food police. You have to work out what you can live with long-term. If that includes lunch at McD's that's up to you.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I am NOT the role model for dieting here, but I do it. One night a week I have the house to myself, so I get 6 nuggets, sweet/sour, small fry, and a diet coke and park it in front of some Grey's Anatomy. (I swear I'm not a sad cat lady!) No, it's not good to just eat whatever you want so long as it fits in your calories--that will leave you lacking in nutrients and without enough protein to support your muscles. But I've been keeping up this little habit for 6 months now, and I've lost 32 pounds b/c the rest of my week is good. The haters gonna hate. You enjoy your McD's once in while and keep up the good work! :)

I agree with this method. I'm finally starting to learn that it's important to let yourself have either a cheat day or just one cheat meal. If McD's is it, okay. BUT, like above poster says, she only allows herself that treat once a week. Scale it back to once a week and make it a treat instead of a habit, that might be the better way to go about it rather than quitting it cold turkey.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Lately, for completely unexplained reasons, I've been hitting McD 2-3 times a week for lunch. I eat reasonably (6 nuggets, buffalo sauce, small fries, diet soda == ~550 cals), and usually fit it into my total calorie goal. How bad is this, do I need to force myself to be more disciplined and quit this behavior, or is it okay?
    ...and a diet soda?:laugh: :laugh:
    You sound just like me!
    Anyway, McD food is the most fabulous cuisine on the planet...it's what the gods eat on Mt Olympus.
    I could have it every day and die fat.
    It's that good.
    How I broke my addiction was simple. I associate pleasure with being fit, and pain with being fat.
    That works wonders.
    It creates an internal drive that is unstoppable. People who find this reach their goals in any situation.
    Those that do not remain in the large herd of failures that populate the majority of planet earth.
    Decide right now where you want to be.
    Success is a choice. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Google how McD's nuggets are made. I'm pretty confident this would cease the habit.

I've done that. I still find them delicious, sadly. But, I don't ever eat them anymore, LOL
  • egarcia83
    egarcia83 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think you should try slowly cutting back on it that way you dont try to fill in the mcdonalds loss with something equally as bad for you. I had the same problem for a while so I know how you feel. I would say definitley cut out the fries at least.
  • ChrisR7361
    Options
    A hamburger, small fry, and diet soda isn't so bad if it fits within your calorie range for the day, but the salt is the thing.
  • choface
    choface Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    its fine. just drink a ton of water after so you wont step on the scale and freak out. people go out to eat. it is normal. now if it was every day i would see the worry.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When in doubt watch Super Size me...or fast food nation, instant fast food aversion!
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am NOT the role model for dieting here, but I do it. One night a week I have the house to myself, so I get 6 nuggets, sweet/sour, small fry, and a diet coke and park it in front of some Grey's Anatomy. (I swear I'm not a sad cat lady!) No, it's not good to just eat whatever you want so long as it fits in your calories--that will leave you lacking in nutrients and without enough protein to support your muscles. But I've been keeping up this little habit for 6 months now, and I've lost 32 pounds b/c the rest of my week is good. The haters gonna hate. You enjoy your McD's once in while and keep up the good work! :)

I agree with this method. I'm finally starting to learn that it's important to let yourself have either a cheat day or just one cheat meal. If McD's is it, okay. BUT, like above poster says, she only allows herself that treat once a week. Scale it back to once a week and make it a treat instead of a habit, that might be the better way to go about it rather than quitting it cold turkey.

I agree with this ^^^ I used to McD about 2-3 times a week and now I will only allow myself once a week and limit myself to 1 sausage muffin - no cheese/no egg. Everybody's right the sodium is awful but it's my way of 1 lazy morning a week.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Google how McD's nuggets are made. I'm pretty confident this would cease the habit.

I've seen it, so don't care. It makes me want them more, and a strawberry shake to go with them.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As a former McD's employee, I know the feeling. McD's is my go-to fast food place. I went there today even, as I realized I had no food at home for lunch (need to go grocery shopping) and was already out, but didn't have time to do the grocery shopping needed. So I chose carefully. I had a double cheeseburger and a small fry. Came home and had a glass of berry flavored green tea with it. Was it an ideal lunch? No, but I made the best of the situation. Once-in-a-while is okay, I would suggest once, MAYBE twice a week. Sodium's a big issue with their food. Just try to keep it as a treat for yourself, and not a staple.
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    According to my husband, McDonald's was founded by Satan. LOL! I used to take my kids there fairly frequently and I very much enjoy their double cheeseburgers. However, he doesn't like me to and his reason is NOT that hamburgers or chicken nuggets and fries are bad for you, too high in fat or sodium or whatever. His reason is that McDonald's as a chain strives for consistency in all their products. The french fry you buy from McD's in Maine will taste the same as the french fry you buy from McD's in New Mexico. How do they achieve this consistency? Processing and food additives. For instance, they might take potatoes from all over the country and make a slurry out of them and add a bunch of chemicals and preservatives before they extrude their french fries....then the fries all taste the same no matter where you get them. Same goes for all their other foods. It's all the added chemicals that he objects to. He believes it poisons us slowly.

If you have never watched Super-size Me...you should. This guy ate nothing but McD's three meals a day for 30 days. He saw a doctor before doing it and the doctor advised against the experiment. He did it anyway and the even the doctor was shocked at the effect on his overall health, bloodwork, etc. The negative effect far exceeded what the doctor would have predicted.

So...do I advise you stay away from McD's altogether and never, ever eat there? No. I do believe that eating there 2-3 times per week is too much, however. If I were you, I'd reserve it for a once a month or so treat. Just my opinion, though, so you can do what you like with it. Good luck with reaching your goals!
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat Mc Donald every know and then i just work into my calories.. I do it probably once a month.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I've done that. I still find them delicious, sadly. But, I don't ever eat them anymore, LOL

What do you do with them, then?? :huh:
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of McDs. I don't often anymore, and when I do, it makes me incredibly ill.

Honestly, EVERYONE has their vices. Mine right now is Heath Bars and Skor bars. CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THEM. But after seeing this link: http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2yt1a4T7L1r36okqo1_1280.jpg, I really slowed down with fast food. I still like Chick-fil-a, but I haven't eaten there since giving up wheat.

Seriously, your body, eat what you want, but if you are questioning the habit, I say try to break it. :)

Note: The link to the picture was taken recently. The food does not mold. It's SCARY.

You all can judge me and my fiance for this but there is a McDonlads french fry that has been stuck underneath one of our car seats, it's easily from Feb 2011 and you couldn't tell at all, SCARY!!!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion....McDonald's is the Devil.

But that's just me :happy:
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Yeah I gotta agree with this one... and it wouldn't hurt to watch Super Size Me (I know that's WAY more extreme then what you are eating but it did help me get turned-off to fast food in general and helped me to resist eating it).

I personally think that YES you should cut back. I don't think multiple visits per week to McD is healthy even if you are within your calories. I used to eat fast food a couple times per week and it was just not good news... weight gain, sluggish, didn't feel well, etc.

The less you eat it the easier it will be to resist - I swear it can be addicting but if you cut it out you will eventually stop craving it/wanting it all together!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You know the answer

Best reply on this thread..............
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go to McD's about once per month. I get the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad. It's good and about 450 calories or so.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to stay away from "fast food" or even restaurants as much as possible. Due to the preservatives and additives they put in the food, it can make it very unhealthy. Lots and lots of sugar, salt, and other "questionable" items that I do not think are good for your body. I used to eat out frequently, but I find that if I eat fast food now, the next day, I just feel like crap... sluggish and just not right. My solution to the problem? Find a different way home that skipped most of the "tempting" restaurants.