McD habit: must I squash it?

Options

Replies

• Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think having it every now and then is ok - not sure about a few times a week. There is a lot of salt in that food which is not good for you.

Everyone has got something they can improve on. Start with baby steps and wean yourself down to a few times a month - or less.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's "krap" food but if you must indulge, I would only do it about once every 2 weeks - not 2 to 3 times a week. I get Happy meal, burger, fries and unsweetended ice tea.

PS DIET POP WILL KILL YOU - Aspartame / Splenda worse than sugar !!

There is nothing wrong with Aspartame. You're spouting junk.

Oh wow, the controversy has finally been put to rest! It makes you wonder why they are spending billions on research as it sounds like you have already got the conclusive evidence
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    PS DIET POP WILL KILL YOU - Aspartame / Splenda worse than sugar !!

If this were true, I would've been dead a long time ago. :ohwell:

As far as McDonald's (their fries were my favorite) goes, after reading "Fast Food Nation," I avoid it as much as possible. I did find myself at an airport McDonald's a couple of weeks ago and ordered a sausage muffin for breakfast. Two bites and I was done. :sick:
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Splenda containes Chlorine....a carcinogen.
    Aspartame has been investigated as a possible cause of brain tumors, mental retardation, birth defects, epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and Diabetes.

Aside from the above, whether it's true or not, it is "artificial".
    I'm only giving my opinion, because that's what I assume is being asked....my personal goal is not strictly weight los, but improved overall health, which includes doing away with as much artificial, processed, additive and chemical saturated food as possible.
    I drink coffee and tea unsweatened and with no sugar.....I don't frequent fast food establishments anymore (although, I admit to slipping more often since starting a second job).......I try to eat as much fresh, natural, organic food as possible.
    Again, all part of my own personal journey, and the fact that there COULD be any truth to the above statements about artificial sweeteners is enough to keep me on pure cane sugar when I have a sweet tooth. ;)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Noooo, please don't start the aspartame thing again here. Take it where it's on topic:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/646860-the-aspartame-thread
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Are you losing weight? Is it adversely affecting you? If not, do what makes you happy - if you're controlling your portions, then what's the issue?
  • misslouisiana
    misslouisiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Limit it to once a week as a treat. Even though it fits into your daily calorie intake, those foods are still fried which can't be good.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Noooo, please don't start the aspartame thing again here. Take it where it's on topic:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/646860-the-aspartame-thread

the debate is over - Beckajw has said there's nothing wrong with it
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    You know the answer

^

This ..... sorry :sad:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Are you losing weight? Is it adversely affecting you? If not, do what makes you happy - if you're controlling your portions, then what's the issue?

There are loads of things to consider other than just 'losing weight'

To lose fat healthily has got to be the goal we all seek isn't it?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    There is such a high fat and sodium level in EVERYTHING at McDonald's, I just don't go there anymore. In fact, there aren't really any fast food places I care to to to anymore. Once you start eating clean, that stuff just makes you feel lousy.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Once you start eating clean, that stuff just makes you feel lousy.

This is the truth. I couldn't believe how I felt when I tried McDonald's (nuggets and some fries) after not eating it for at least half a year. I felt disgusting, my energy level plummeted, and my stomach and the rest of my digestive system mutinied. Dairy Queen's chicken tenders had the same effect.

Interestingly, Chick-Fil-A's waffle fries don't do the same. Dunno why.
  • singingsoprano
    singingsoprano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll start with my first reaction: Yuck!

Sorry.

I'd see think of it like junk food--a treat--celebrate when you reach a goal or something like that, because there's pretty much nothing of nutritional value in what you're eating there...and the soda is anti-health too...

there are better choices at McDonalds if you must.

I agree, watch Food Nation or Food inc. and it might cure some of the McDonald's cravings.

Good luck!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, and we aren't the food police. You have to work out what you can live with long-term. If that includes lunch at McD's that's up to you.

She is asking for advice, not the food police. Right place too if you ask me

And my point still stands. She has to decide what she can live with. We can tell her all the terrible things about McDs and encourage her to eat healthy, but the choice is ultimately up to her. She has to decide what she can live with or live without. If she decides that she can do without the fast-food she'll be that much better off, but if she ends up feeling deprived and resentful she might just chuck the whole thing.

She didn't ask if McDonald's food was good or bad, she asked if she has to stop eating it. I still say that's up to her.
  • Wonderob
    Options

And my point still stands. She has to decide what she can live with. We can tell her all the terrible things about McDs and encourage her to eat healthy, but the choice is ultimately up to her. She has to decide what she can live with or live without. If she decides that she can do without the fast-food she'll be that much better off, but if she ends up feeling deprived and resentful she might just chuck the whole thing.

She didn't ask if McDonald's food was good or bad, she asked if she has to stop eating it. I still say that's up to her.

Yeah sure, it's always up to the individual, but she was asking HOW bad it was. I get the impression that she had overlooked everything but the calories and a few people on here pointed out that calories were just part of the problem.

I think because of the advice of some, she is now in a better position to be able to make the choice to which you were referring. Just because she is an adult, doesn't mean she knows all about nutrician. I thought I knew a lot but only recently have I come to realise just how much sodium is in 'fast food'!!! My 320 calorie healthy chicken subway doesn't quite have the same appeal now that I know that it contains 880 mg of sodium - as much as everything else I eat in a day combined!!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yeah sure, it's always up to the individual, but she was asking HOW bad it was. I get the impression that she had overlooked everything but the calories and a few people on here pointed out that calories were just part of the problem.

I think because of the advice of some, she is now in a better position to be able to make the choice to which you were referring. Just because she is an adult, doesn't mean she knows all about nutrician. I thought I knew a lot but only recently have I come to realise just how much sodium is in 'fast food'!!! My 320 calorie healthy chicken subway doesn't quite have the same appeal now that I know that it contains 880 mg of sodium - as much as everything else I eat in a day combined!!

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm likely reading more into the original post than there is.
  • mjcorbs228
    mjcorbs228 Posts: 21
    Options
    How to break a McDonald's habit quick: Work for one week minimum at McDonald's. You'll never want it again.

I worked there for a month, and I avoid it at all costs just because I got tired of smelling the food, having to make it, and just generally being surrounded by it. That, and the pay and hours sucked. So, maybe I just have a grudge?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    While it's all about calorie deficit - crap is crap and that's junk food. Maybe try to cut back to once a week as a treat meal? Your body will love you for it:)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's not even that BAD of food, compared to some of the stuff sold. People act like salt and preservatives and oil are rat poison. Most of us have no medical reason to worry about sodium, and never will. Oil is just another food. Preservatives are pervasive in the American diet, and are harmless and beneficial from a logistics standpoint (unless you're self-sustainable).

I love how we dieters go from totally abusing our bodies with food to treating it like its a fragile blown glass artifact that must have only the highest quality inputs at all times. :laugh:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    It's not even that BAD of food, compared to some of the stuff sold. People act like salt and preservatives and oil are rat poison. Most of us have no medical reason to worry about sodium, and never will. Oil is just another food. Preservatives are pervasive in the American diet, and are harmless and beneficial from a logistics standpoint (unless you're self-sustainable).

I love how we dieters go from totally abusing our bodies with food to treating it like its a fragile blown glass artifact that must have only the highest quality inputs at all times. :laugh:

Whilst you are probably right, I think if I made a promise to myslef to get rid of just the 3 things that were worst for me - McDs would be on the list