Paula Dean's weightloss

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't like her for two reasons:

1. The way she treated her son when he wanted to start cooking healthy southern food. It was rude and done in a very public manner.
    2. How's she's in deep with the Big Pharma

Congrats to her for losing the weight but I'm not a fan. There's so many other celebrity chefs to follow.

From Anthony Bourdain: She's "the most destructive person on the Food Network" and said in an interview: "She revels in unholy connections with evil corporations and she's proud of the fact that her food is f---ing bad for you. If I were on at seven at night and loved by millions of people at every age, I would think twice before telling an already obese nation that it's OK to eat food that is killing us. Plus, her food sucks."

Agree agree agree. Another thing he said "Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later." 100% true.

This article also says 3 years.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/anthony-bourdain-slams-paula-deen/story?id=15386289

Thank you! I always admire Bourdain because in No Reservations he really shows the cultures and lifestyles of the locals wherever he travels (yes, centered around food). If someone tips off the local media and a crowd shows up at one of the filming spots they change to another spot. He really supports local food sources, ingredients, and traditions...and yes, while being a bit crass and crabby. I like it.
  • Onesnap
    Options

She knew for 3 years.

I think I was editing as you were quoting. I noticed it said that it was six months after the announcement.

Gotcha! Thanks for clarification.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I agree. I find it very hard to believe that dropping 30 lbs. sent her from an 18 to a 10. However, I guess it's possible depending on the weight distribution. I have lost close to 40 lbs. from what I was last year at this time and am down four sizes. An 18 to a 10 would be 5 sizes technically, but it still seems odd to me that she would be that much. Of course, I believe a lot of people in the entertainment industry lie when it comes to these things. I remember when Kirstie Alley said she weighed 175 lbs. Yeah, right! Not in those photos and at that time. I recently read something that said she lost 100 lbs. on DWTS, so I guess that means she only weighs 75 lbs. now. Why aren't these celebrities honest? The rest of us know they are lying, and they make ordinary people feel that much worse. Way to go to all who are doing this on their own and being HONEST about their true weight loss!

Right and each size change is 10 pounds so she would be down 3 clothing sizes, not 5.

You say a size change is 10 pounds. Someone else said it was 15. Obviously, this is something that varies person to person-depending on where they lose their weight from.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I agree. I find it very hard to believe that dropping 30 lbs. sent her from an 18 to a 10. However, I guess it's possible depending on the weight distribution. I have lost close to 40 lbs. from what I was last year at this time and am down four sizes. An 18 to a 10 would be 5 sizes technically, but it still seems odd to me that she would be that much. Of course, I believe a lot of people in the entertainment industry lie when it comes to these things. I remember when Kirstie Alley said she weighed 175 lbs. Yeah, right! Not in those photos and at that time. I recently read something that said she lost 100 lbs. on DWTS, so I guess that means she only weighs 75 lbs. now. Why aren't these celebrities honest? The rest of us know they are lying, and they make ordinary people feel that much worse. Way to go to all who are doing this on their own and being HONEST about their true weight loss!

Right and each size change is 10 pounds so she would be down 3 clothing sizes, not 5.

You say a size change is 10 pounds. Someone else said it was 15. Obviously, this is something that varies person to person-depending on where they lose their weight from.

There's no way to target weight loss. Yes, people carry their weight differently. I've always heard it as 10 lbs approximate per women's sizes. As I said earlier, it's all relative because there's no standard sizing in the US.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Is she losin' weight the right way? Or resort to some sort of surgery? She strikes me as the type that would look for "shortcuts".

If you think surgery is a shortcut, you have no clue.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for PD losing 30 pounds. She says she has gone for a size 18 to a 10. I have also lost 30 pounds, and was at a size 18 as well, but I am still in that size range. I was wearing 1x-2x tops and am now in XL . I was in size 18W pants and can now wear my regular 18 misses or 16W's. Maybe it's my height at 5'2"? I have no clue how tall PD is. Thoughts?
    It is truly fantastic that she lost that weight. She looks fab!!!

When my son was born back in 2004 I was about 254 at my heaviest. I am 6'1 and at that time wore an XL and a size 18-20 pant/short. I dropped 50 lbs and only went to a size large shirt and a 16. Im back up to 218 lbs, trying to get down to 190, but even with the 15 or so pound weight gain I am still at a size large and 16 pants/shorts. I've always wondered the same thing, but I have a large build and maybe I will never be a size 10. I'd love to be a 12!!! I don't even know if I'll make it there though...
  • Onesnap
    Options
    here's some feedback and experiences from real people on the pounds per size question:
    http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/67047-pounds-per-size-in-clothing/

(it's all over the map!)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Is she losin' weight the right way? Or resort to some sort of surgery? She strikes me as the type that would look for "shortcuts".

Maybe she started having her son cook all her meals. That would have been the right way after being so horrible and mean to him.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Someone had mentioned she knew for 3 years about her diabetes. Losing weight and quitting smoking go hand-in-hand IMO. You can't quit or lose weight until YOU are ready. The doctors can tell you for years you need to quit smoking or lose weight, but until you are mentally ready, it isn't going to happen.
  • MommaRou56
    MommaRou56 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have to say she makes some great food so I disagree with Anthony Bourdain on that. He has obviously never been in a good Southern home with an old-fashioned country cook, and I think his tastes tend toward more international exotic flavors. However, I can't watch her at all because I am from the South originally, and I have never heard anyone "put on" with the accent as much as she does, and NO ONE says "y'all" as much as she does in just one sentence. It is for the cameras, period. I did watch her son's show once, "Not My Mama's Cooking"(?), and he redid some of her recipes with healthier twists, and they looked great although I have never tried them. I have one of her cookbooks, and there are some really tasty recipes in it, but I don't make much out of it any more -- once in a while for company but that's about it. I still like reading it, though. (I love reading cookbooks!)
  • cookiebaylor
    Options
    There are tons of people that know that they have health issues yet they negate the reasoning of doing something about it! What matters is that she took the initiative for a healthier alternative. That's what the focus should be. I hate that so many negative comments have been made about something that is suppose to be positive!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Maybe she started having her son cook all her meals. That would have been the right way after being so horrible and mean to him.
    She was mean to her son? What did I miss?!?!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I have to say she makes some great food so I disagree with Anthony Bourdain on that. He has obviously never been in a good Southern home with an old-fashioned country cook, and I think his tastes tend toward more international exotic flavors. However, I can't watch her at all because I am from the South originally, and I have never heard anyone "put on" with the accent as much as she does, and NO ONE says "y'all" as much as she does in just one sentence. It is for the cameras, period. I did watch her son's show once, "Not My Mama's Cooking"(?), and he redid some of her recipes with healthier twists, and they looked great although I have never tried them. I have one of her cookbooks, and there are some really tasty recipes in it, but I don't make much out of it any more -- once in a while for company but that's about it. I still like reading it, though. (I love reading cookbooks!)

That's not true about Bourdain. If you've seen any of the southern US episodes (or even the ones on the border in TX and CA) you would know he does appreciate the down home southern family cooking...and that his taste is not just "international and exotic flavors" Or perhaps the Ozarks episode where he was eating squirrel and other similar critters. Or the Maine one where they are eating very rustic in a cabin in the woods.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Where are you shopping lol??

What's that supposed to mean? I am the same. I weigh 155 and wear a ladies 6 or a juniors 7. I'm pretty muscular.

I apologize, I just realized how blatantly offensive that looks!! My bad!
    I weight 135 and I can be anywhere from a 4 to an 11, depending on the brand. I have ZERO faith in how women's clothing is sized!
  • thenry429
    thenry429 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have very little faith in the BMI or scale, when I weighed 142 I wore a size 2, so only 5 lbs not 10 is a size changer for me. I seriously would not lie, no one ever believes how much I weigh.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for PD losing 30 pounds. She says she has gone for a size 18 to a 10. I have also lost 30 pounds, and was at a size 18 as well, but I am still in that size range. I was wearing 1x-2x tops and am now in XL . I was in size 18W pants and can now wear my regular 18 misses or 16W's. Maybe it's my height at 5'2"? I have no clue how tall PD is. Thoughts?

I have this same problem. I think she might be the same height as you, she is rather short when she stands next to her guests on her cooking show. But it could also be the brand of the pants she is wearing. I remember I once bought Tommy Hilfiger jeans on sale at a size 12 when in other brands I was wearing 16.
  • HizGoddess
    HizGoddess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The "size" thing is not something I like to go by as far as comparison. Because at my heaviest of 232 (and I am 5'5) I wore a size 20 mainly because of my saddle bags/thighs. I never had the waist for a size 20 and had to wear a belt as I had to buy big enough for my more 'problem areas'. I have a pic in my album of the comparison.
    But I started playing around with P90X and eating better and dropped to around 185 in less then 6 months. I was then buying size 12/14 jeans. And my tops went from a 2X to an XL mainly because I am 'busty'.
    IMO...depending on the manufacturer...clothes sizes are NOT created equal. I wish they were but it is a well known fact that some "run smaller" in number as it is a psychological thing with women. That is why I like to wear the same brand of jeans or whatever and I use that more as my personal gauge then anything else.
    But then again, now that I am doing Insanity....the tape measure is my best friend!! lol Loving the loss of inches! :)
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to say about Paula Dean, but I wanted to add my own anecdote. I'm 5'11" and I go down a jeans size every 5-6 pounds. I'm a 10-12 in the low 170s, but I'm a 4 or a 6 when I'm in the low 150s.

I have skirts that range from sizes 4 through 10 that all fit me, so I know about clothing variations. I use my jeans size as my "official" size because I always buy the same brand and denim is unforgiving.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    How could these "celebrities" make their money by putting on weight then taking it off...This world is going crazy or it's just me?
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that she went from an 18 to a 10 with only losing 30 lbs. At one point i went from a 22 to a 12 and it took lots of exercise and 75 lbs! I'm 5' 8"

Why do you find it so hard to believe? I'm only 5'2, I went from 205-ish and a size 16/18 (I squeezed into 16's, but should have been wearing 18's) down to 160-ish and wearing 6's. Sounds pretty similar-even without vanity sizing. *shrug*

*in fact, I can shop in the jr. department again now-even sitting around 155. I bought myself some jr. size 7's for Christmas, and they fit. :-D

I'm jealous. I'm also 5'2 and there's no way I could fit in a size 6 at 160 lbs. More like a size 12.