Lose weight to be healthy??? F no, I want to be HAWT!

Options
SuperSexyDork
SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
How much do you buy into the, "lose weight to be healthy," bull spit? I don't.

If you do, that's perfect for you. You've found great motivation, so keep going, you might want to pass this thread up though. It isn't for you.

For me it doesn't work that way. The conditions that I have can't be fixed by losing weight but if I mention them people are wont to think that they'll get better with weight loss. Let me tell you something, a heart rhythm disorder just doesn't fix itself. Neither does asthma or hypoglycemia. I'm stuck with it.

Otherwise, I'm healthy. Seriously. Low resting heart rate, low BP, perfect numbers blood work-wise and I can jog 5-6 miles non-stop even with my asthma.

Plain and simple, I'm losing weight because I'm tired of looking like a fatass. I want the muscle that you can feel under the flab to show. I'm ready to prove to myself and everyone else that I can be smokin hot curvy girl... Who's with me?

How many others out there get aggravated with the "lose weight and you'll be healthier" crap?

Edit: I'm not saying that it bothers me that other people are doing this to be healthier. I'm saying it bothers me when other people point out the health implications to me...

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    DITTO! I'm doing this so that I can be the hot mom at my kids' school (not in a sick way...) and my husband can have the hot wife when he introduces me to them. And I want to be hot for me. I want to know that when guys whistle or make comments, it's not to be cruel and joking...it's sincere!

I'm right there with ya on that one!!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I've always been healthy, apart from hypoglycemia but we all have our things. I shed 30lbs because I was tired of looking frumpy dumpy. I think a lot of people do it for being healthy and being hot, but I think the ones that just wanna be hot don't speak up!!
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I'm doing it for both reasons. A lot of my family has ended up with diabetes (all of which are extremely over weight) and I don't want to be like them. But, I would like to look like I did back in high school :'(
    So I guess it's for both reasons :p
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nicely said!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    haha! So true. I want to look amazing. I dont care about being healthy!

I am doing Body Revolution...Jillian Michaels says "I want you to have sex with the lights on" then she makes fun of the people that say "It burns so good" she says "Shut up. The only thing that feels so good is skinny jeans" I love her remarks in these DVD's.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    DITTO! I'm doing this so that I can be the hot mom at my kids' school (not in a sick way...) and my husband can have the hot wife when he introduces me to them. And I want to be hot for me. I want to know that when guys whistle or make comments, it's not to be cruel and joking...it's sincere!

I'm right there with ya on that one!!

Oh, I'm with you on that one! I get hit on all the time but it's hard to believe that it's sincere... but I want to believe it...

I guess some will think that we're superficial for wanting to lose weight to be more attractive/have higher self-esteem but that's just how it is, eh?
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am doing it so I can look better. So I can prove to people I have a beautiful body under all this fat! (: Going to check the scales in 4 days to see if I lost anything my first week here. I am bustin my butt to lose weight!
  • coreyoreyoreo
    coreyoreyoreo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly healthy as it is, but I do want to BE healthy...
    That said, it's not my main reason to lose weight. I won't be unhappy that's one of the outcomes, but I really just want to not have such a huge butt and a bulgy stomach, etc etc. I want to wear clothes and not think "uhg this brings out my lovehandles."
    It's not "I wanna run 30 miles!" (frankly, I don't care if I can ever run 10) but it's "I want to look how I WANT to look!"
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I actually have family history that says I shouldn't be overweight and shouldn't eat certain foods... but being hot is a much stronger motivation! Vanity, vanity, all is vanity! :wink:
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    MOM: Counting cals, Jumping all the day here and there (ref: 30DS), off to gym when I need something done from you... You are obsessed. You know that right?

Me: Fitness Mom, I wanna be healthy!

(non-verbal answer: I wanna get in that sexy dress I saw the other day.. The one I am getting for my birthday... I wanna look smoking HAWT and give all those a stink eye who claimed I couldn't do this!)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Definitely started out as me just wanting to look better and be sexy again. Now, that's just an added bonus. The best and most important benefits of working out and being fit are better health, more strength, and better sex. :laugh:

Feeling good is a great motivator too... which is why I need to stop with eating so much junk! I gotta get back to eating clean... at least most of the time.
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't say that those who are in it for health (or claim to be) aggravate me.

I have zero health conditions, my Dr. with thrilled with all of my numbers at my last physical just last month or so. And of course, I know that may not hold true in the next couple of years if I continue on, who knows...but the heart of the matter is, I'm losing weight because I want to be happy with what I see in the mirror and I don't want to be self conscious about my flab all the time. But my desire to be fit is different, I want to be able to do fun shiz (or things I consider fun, which are pretty active). But yeah, still not about my health. Maybe that makes me shallow, but it is what it is.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Yeah. I've always been healthy, apart from hypoglycemia but we all have our things. I shed 30lbs because I was tired of looking frumpy dumpy. I think a lot of people do it for being healthy and being hot, but I think the ones that just wanna be hot don't speak up!!

I made a post for them to speak up :D

And I don't know if it counts or not but you're f'n hot!
  • trm981
    trm981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For me its definitely about looks. I was plenty healthy at 150 - 160. It wasn't much overweight for my height and I don't carry fat around my stomach which is the most harmful type. I didn't get winded walking up stairs, I could jog, my blood pressure was great. But I want to be thin! I'm down to 132 and would like to drop 10ish more. Any health benefits that come with it are good. But honestly its not my motivation.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    haha! So true. I want to look amazing. I dont care about being healthy!

I am doing Body Revolution...Jillian Michaels says "I want you to have sex with the lights on" then she makes fun of the people that say "It burns so good" she says "Shut up. The only thing that feels so good is skinny jeans" I love her remarks in these DVD's.

I may have to buy those DVD's now! That would be hilarious mid-workout!
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Brooklynhendricks21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tottaly with you! I am healthy according to the doctor! I'm just over weight! Blood pressure as all that is good!
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    <~~~~ Right here! I've never really been fit OR fat, just flabby... My little motto thing on MFP says "I wanna feel hot again" I really just wanna feel better about myself, in AND out of my clothes!! :laugh:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it can't be both. Keeping health as a priority can help stamp down disordered behavior and attitudes though. If you put "being hawt" first, it's much more likely that 'short cuts' like extreme calorie deficits and/or cardio obsession will be that much more tempting.

That being said, once I was within "healthy" weight, I lost additional 'vanity' lbs.

Conversely, I've never had any health problems, but being active and eating well will help me prevent many of them.

Many motivations, one goal. To be epically awesome.