Processed Foods

Options

Replies

• JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am currently in day 10 of the 24 day challenge by Advocare. The idea behind this program is to retrain your body to eat clean. however, I must be honest and say once this is over I do not see myself really sticking too it..There are WAY too many things that are "processed" and not part of this diet. I think that being smart about what you eat and eating "junk" in moderation is the best way to go! :smile:

The idea behind that program is to promote their products, boost sales, and make money.

Just sayin......
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You're right, people have been eating them for decades - approximately five decades - and in that time you could fill a phone book with the list of chronic health conditions that have surfaced.

I'm going to go with this one.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I honestly coul care less what everyone thinks about processed foods, I eat them and have zero health issues. I am way too busy to worry about stuff like this. I cook and use canned, boxed or frozen item (gasp) a well as fresh. But working full time with twin 4 year olds, trying to keep a house clean, workout and spend what little time I have with the family, I use what short cuts I can and still manage to make fairly healthy food choices. I refuse to try to cook a "clean" meal at 8-9 pm. If the items in processed foods bother you, don't eat them. It's that simple but don't judge others cuz they do. You don't live thier life or know their situations.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot ahead of time & reheat since I'm so busy. I do still eat processed foods, it just always kills me when I see the sodium content of one item eating up half my sodium allowance for the day! I think the last time I looked most frozen dinners have your whole sodium (2500mg) in one meal. The less salt, the easier it is to lose weight.

I don't think I've ever had a frozen meal that had that much sodium in it.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What's really wrong with them? People have been eating them for decades. I understand that the salt content may be high, but i you drink enough water, shouldn't it be ok? What happens if you have a busy lifestyle, and all you can grab are the processed frozen dinners / snacks? Just confused.

People who eat this stuff, lose weight just as much as people who eat "clean". If your eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

Not true for everyone.

I see some people who can drop weight no problem.. and others hit plateaus for awhile.. and I think this is one reason.

I think that processed foods have evolved over time for maximum shelf life. The more chemicals are marked ok to use by the FDA, the more they get stuck into these foods. I can't eat any of it, or I bloat or gain weight immediately.
  • phxJames
    phxJames Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't think there are any "normal" amounts of artificial additives, as they are not normally found in the food humans have been eating since humans began eating.

That may be true, however, there is "normal" occurrence of botulinum toxin, that things like sodium nitrite can mitigate.
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html

I'm all for the freshest possible food, but enjoy things like ham and bacon in moderation (I love a BLT on multi-grain toast - 1 or 2 pieces of bacon, thick tomato slices, piles of fresh spinach, and a little really hot chipotle mayo), but don't have access to livestock and a butcher for fresh sliced bacon (or otherwise nitrate-free, depending where you can shop). I'm philosophically opposed to botulism.

In some cases, and yes your choices and food desires can influence or avoid the necessity of choice in this, some food additives (especially depending on where you live within the chain of food distribution) are probably far less problematic that the alternatives.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    That may be true, however, there is "normal" occurrence of botulinum toxin, that things like sodium nitrite can mitigate.
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html

I'm all for the freshest possible food, but enjoy things like ham and bacon in moderation (I love a BLT on multi-grain toast - 1 or 2 pieces of bacon, thick tomato slices, piles of fresh spinach, and a little really hot chipotle mayo), but don't have access to livestock and a butcher for fresh sliced bacon (or otherwise nitrate-free, depending where you can shop). I'm philosophically opposed to botulism.

In some cases, and yes your choices and food desires can influence or avoid the necessity of choice in this, some food additives (especially depending on where you live within the chain of food distribution) are probably far less problematic that the alternatives.

I understand this and of course also understand that botulism would be the greater of the two evils here. I guess I don't find it that difficult to avoid cured meat as I don't each much and Lancaster (with all its Amish) is an hour or so away. However I am Italian and every once in awhile -- like once a year -- I enjoy some really excellent, old style cured salami, without worrying about how exactly it was cured. That is what "moderation" means to me.

Like I've said before, my diet is not 100% free of heavily processed food, but it almost is. It's the attitude that "there's nothing wrong" that irks me, but . . . oh well :P
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Wow. The armchair scientist that confuses minerals for chemicals is not very enlightening; and the fitness guru who promotes processed junk foods doesn't seem very impressive.

I certainly hope those new in the health and fitness realm take some of these comments/opinions with a grain of salt and conduct their own research. NIH is a great website for resources. Anything wiki, not so much.

Everyone is different. There are some people who love to eat processed/junk food, but must work harder to keep off the pounds if they are watching their weight. If there are those out there who want to simply eat healthier, then processed/junk foods are not advisable for daily intake.

Also know that unless a person presents specific certifications, certified personal trainers may not be registered dietitians, and registered dietitians may not be certified personal trainers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    And here's another thing -- the FDA establishes a "safe" limit on these chemicals, but there's no mechanism to account for the cumulative effect of getting the maximum dose in 12 different products a day.

The FDA also establishes a "safe" limit on insect parts and rodent droppings.....doesn't mean we should eat them.

Just sayin'........
    If you only knew what you breathed...................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What's really wrong with them? People have been eating them for decades. I understand that the salt content may be high, but i you drink enough water, shouldn't it be ok? What happens if you have a busy lifestyle, and all you can grab are the processed frozen dinners / snacks? Just confused.

And we've also had increasing cases of all sorts of cancers (especially cancers in children), infertility, autism spectrum disorders, ADD and AD/HD, etc. While we have been good about identifying harmful chemicals in a lot of environmental situations, food has not been addressed nearly enough. The one thing that has been increasing right along with diagnoses for these diseases/disorders is the amount of processed food we eat.
    Let's be fair here though. My parents are both in the medical field and information they got was directly from patients records and not the media. We hear more now than we did before. Like when the only way we heard of a missing child was on a milk carton, now you can just google it and thousands come up. "Hyperactivity" before is now more likely diagnosed as ADD and AD/HD. Infertility also has a lot to do with overall health and not just chemicals.
    Correlation isn't causation, but I won't discount that there is A LOT more processed foods than there used to be.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wow. The armchair scientist that confuses minerals for chemicals is not very enlightening; and the fitness guru who promotes processed junk foods doesn't seem very impressive.

I certainly hope those new in the health and fitness realm take some of these comments/opinions with a grain of salt and conduct their own research. NIH is a great website for resources. Anything wiki, not so much.

Everyone is different. There are some people who love to eat processed/junk food, but must work harder to keep off the pounds if they are watching their weight. If there are those out there who want to simply eat healthier, then processed/junk foods are not advisable for daily intake.

Also know that unless a person presents specific certifications, certified personal trainers may not be registered dietitians, and registered dietitians may not be certified personal trainers.
    Funny you speak of NIH since I provide much of what I back from there and medical journals. And I don't PROMOTE processed foods, I DEBUNK some BS stated about processed foods just like I do with diets, pills, supplements, workouts, eating times, etc. There's a difference. Isn't nice to know that some of us in fitness DON'T conform to just hearsay.

IDEA Fitness member
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Check the sugar in them a/lso. I had a "Healthy Choice" meal and I couldnt believe how much sugar it had in it
  • sissysparkles
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating processed food. I am currently seeing a nutrionist and had the same question. She told me a calorie is a calorie no matter where you get it from. Many foods that we think are "healty" foods are processed, such as morningstar (vegetarian foods) meals. As long as you are taking in the appropriate amount of calories and exercising you should not fear processed foods! Hope this helps you out!

Stacy
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You're right, people have been eating them for decades - approximately five decades - and in that time you could fill a phone book with the list of chronic health conditions that have surfaced.

Nothing to do with the fact we now have longer lives, therefore more chronic conditions. We also have ways to find out diseases that never exisisted before. My great-grandfather had a heart attack in the late 80s. As he was at home they had to do an autopsy. He was found to be riddled with cancer. Not something that could be tested for as easily as now. And that's just one disease.

I know eating Jenny Craig and their processed food I've not lost any weight. It's been incredibly frustrating trying to figure out what is holding me back...........

For the record beside my excess weight I'm in perfect health. My heart check the ONLY reason I was in danger of anything was purely based on my weight. My resting heart rate was in the athlete range, all my blood tests were perfect, everything. (well except for diabetes and family history. Can't control that!)
  • BlessedEight
    Options
    bump
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There are many books on this. Michael Pollan's "In Defense of food" is mentioned ealier. "an Omnivore's Dilema" is another.Yes a calorie is a calorie plain and simple but these books look at food as something else:.Our relationship with food is examined. They are great reads even if you don't change o about how you eat. Clean eating is really about cleaner eating. If nothing broose a quickie book he wrote about food rules/
    Never eat in the car.
    Never eat something with ingredients you can't pronounce. Only eat food your great grandmother will recognize (no Go-gurt or luchables)
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

And we've also had increasing cases of all sorts of cancers (especially cancers in children), infertility, autism spectrum disorders, ADD and AD/HD, etc. While we have been good about identifying harmful chemicals in a lot of environmental situations, food has not been addressed nearly enough. The one thing that has been increasing right along with diagnoses for these diseases/disorders is the amount of processed food we eat.
    Let's be fair here though. My parents are both in the medical field and information they got was directly from patients records and not the media. We hear more now than we did before. Like when the only way we heard of a missing child was on a milk carton, now you can just google it and thousands come up. "Hyperactivity" before is now more likely diagnosed as ADD and AD/HD. Infertility also has a lot to do with overall health and not just chemicals.
    Correlation isn't causation, but I won't discount that there is A LOT more processed foods than there used to be.

IDEA Fitness member

Just wanted to add that that I think you have a reasonable approach to food; most of us will eat food that isn't always the best nutritionally but we can still enjoy at times and still be healthy.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    There's just too much added "stuff" to processed foods like HFCS, regular corn syrup, sugar, etc. If you have to add back vitamins and minerals in your food then IMO it's not good that they had to take them out in the first place or that the processing destroyed the nutrients that were in there already.

I limit my intake of processed foods because of all the crap that's in it. I read labels and make sure that what I buy doesn't have HFCS, corn syrup, sugar (if there's sugar I make sure that for the serving size it's not a lot). I personally just don't feel all that good when I eat junk.

Yes you can lose weight eating junk food and crap but you're not going to be healthy in the long run.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    And here's another thing -- the FDA establishes a "safe" limit on these chemicals, but there's no mechanism to account for the cumulative effect of getting the maximum dose in 12 different products a day.

The FDA also establishes a "safe" limit on insect parts and rodent droppings.....doesn't mean we should eat them.

Just sayin'........
    If you only knew what you breathed...................

IDEA Fitness member

Sadly, we can't control that. But we can control what we eat.
  • lmustoe
    lmustoe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I completley agree with you, sure you can eat them and won't notice a change right away. In fact your doctor will probably tell you its your genetics or your yo yo dieting causing your achs and pains and diabeties and so on and so forth but the fact is its what we eat. Yes if you just want to lose weight its basically calories in vs calories out (except someone like me with pcos). BUT if you want to live healty, feel more energiezed, and have a longer life with less illenss, make processed foods a last resort or an occasional treat. Easier said then done but the longer you make yourself cut them out the easier it gets. GL! :wink: