Anyone else addicted to driving?

Options

Replies

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do not like driving especially in traffic but I recently went on a road trip and spent 2 full days in the car and it was very therapeutic and also quality time with my daughters. I loved the wide open space and getting away from everything-letting my mind wander listening to music etc. My car gets good mileage and it was WAY cheaper to drive v. fly three people. I was sorry my husband could not join the trip but it was a huge joy having full control of the music selections :love:
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I love to drive. But I have to say, I agree with someone else that said perhaps you should put headphones on and walk or cycle instead? It would be much better for you, your wallet AND more importantly, the environment!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I used to be a compulsive driver, too. I would factor in extra time before and after going anywhere. I also used to work nights and when I couldn't sleep on my nights off, I would get up and go for a drive for hours. I'd drive aimlessly for hours at a time when I was bored and didn't have anything to do. It used to relax me and give me time to think.

Once I moved in my my SO and had less time and more company, I gradually stopped.

I still have a long commute that I don't mind at all. I love going on road trips and adventures that involve driving.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Lucky you to have 4-5 hours a day free just to drive around!! Maybe you could think of some more productive things to do instead?

Wow... That was a little rude. Maybe for her, driving IS productive, because it makes her feel good. Not everything we do in life needs to 'produce' something.

I love driving too OP. I think part of the reason is i didnt get my licencse til i was 24... Even years later, i still sometimes feel excited to have my license, and my own car, and to be able to dive wherever I want :)

Now that I think about it, it is actually kinda like therapy to me. One of the only times my anxiety isn't playing up :/

Also, considering I work full time and go to school full time atm, I do feel like I produce enough within my time.

Well excuse me for bothering to answer to your post.

Must say I can't see how anyone can go to school full time and work full time, must be a heap more hours in your world than there is in mine.

My course has 6 classes per semester.
    I do 3 classes on mondays, 2 on thursdays and 1 online. I work tues, wed, fri, sat, sun.

No need to be rude.

LOL! You clearly don't understand what 'full time' is.

What is with your attitude? So unneccessary.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Lucky you to have 4-5 hours a day free just to drive around!! Maybe you could think of some more productive things to do instead?

Wow... That was a little rude. Maybe for her, driving IS productive, because it makes her feel good. Not everything we do in life needs to 'produce' something.

I love driving too OP. I think part of the reason is i didnt get my licencse til i was 24... Even years later, i still sometimes feel excited to have my license, and my own car, and to be able to dive wherever I want :)

Now that I think about it, it is actually kinda like therapy to me. One of the only times my anxiety isn't playing up :/

Also, considering I work full time and go to school full time atm, I do feel like I produce enough within my time.

Well excuse me for bothering to answer to your post.

Must say I can't see how anyone can go to school full time and work full time, must be a heap more hours in your world than there is in mine.

My course has 6 classes per semester.
    I do 3 classes on mondays, 2 on thursdays and 1 online. I work tues, wed, fri, sat, sun.

No need to be rude.

LOL! You clearly don't understand what 'full time' is.

What is with your attitude? So unneccessary.

This. The rudeness is uncalled for and it is coming off as jealousy. Perhaps you need to clear your schedule a bit and relax.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I drive most days for 6-8 hours for my job. Unless we are in a snow or ice storm I find it relaxing. My car is my prayer closet and my think tank. Do what you love girl. :drinker:
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nope, I HATE driving! :smile:
  • skinnybirds
    skinnybirds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    after i passed my test i enjoyed driving, but not that much haha! now it's annoying because people ask for lifts and i always seem to be the one who has to drive us whenever we go anywhere. i do enjoy having the music loud and singing along though :)
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    Would you mind considering the impact your addiction is having on the rest of us? There is so much environmental damage being done by cars, that I for one would be grateful if you could try to limit your excursions to more essential journeys.

...yeah...that one car makes a huge difference....it might even burn as much gas as the truck that shipped the oranges that are decorating the drink in your profile picture...So, should I ask you to please refrain from having unnecessary garnishes in your drinks, as it would help the environment?...Nah, that would just sound foolish.
  • Duelltolose
    Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Would you mind considering the impact your addiction is having on the rest of us? There is so much environmental damage being done by cars, that I for one would be grateful if you could try to limit your excursions to more essential journeys.

I could try but considering this is actually a stress relief for me i don't know how much different it would make...

What environmental damage are you talking about?

I can hardly believe you are asking this question, but on the basis that you really may not know, here are some links:

http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=10771

http://www.nutramed.com/environment/cars.htm

http://planetsave.com/2011/05/18/environmental-impact-of-cars-infographic/

Living in a small town, you have to drive to work. No doubt about it. At least a 30-60 minute drive to go to work.
    The world will NEVER be perfectly nice with no pollution. Sorry to break it to you.

Seeing things like this just makes me want to go out and drive for hours and hours
  • Duelltolose
    Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
    Options

...yeah...that one car makes a huge difference....it might even burn as much gas as the truck that shipped the oranges that are decorating the drink in your profile picture...So, should I ask you to please refrain from having unnecessary garnishes in your drinks, as it would help the environment?...Nah, that would just sound foolish.

:)
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    years ago when I would get off late from the restaurant I would get in my car and drive 1-2 hours and just jam out to my music. Haven't done that in forever...actually I kinda hate driving now!
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    girl i feel you. i absolutely love to drive, whether it's through the middle of los angeles/hollywood on saturday night when it's busy as f or down pacific coast highway where i can see the beach out my windows. it's been a very long time since gas has been affordable enough for me to pleasure cruise, but taking a drive was one of my biggest anxiety reducing prescriptions for like, years. i might just start budgeting some extra $$ for relaxation driving.

and good for you for working and going to school full time at the same time - that ish WILL pay off. get it girl :)
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I prefer to drive over flying... There was a time I would leave a day or two before we travel in the US and drive to the destination to pick everyone up and we will have a car that we don't have to rent.

We just went to the Grand Canyon a week ago... a fast 1500 mile jaunt through AZ... it was hot!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You are crazy.

I HATE DRIVING.

I hate it and I wish all car companies would spontaneously combust and all gasoline would disappear. I almost never drive except to go to work, otherwise I walk or ride a bike. F driving.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You are crazy.
    Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.

Beautyfrompain are you still banging on about how Canberra is unsafe? How many abductions happened in your street this month? On 3rd of June you tried to tell me there were 4 kidnappings in your street alone.

Seriously - get a grip and cut your attitude. The numbers of people starting to see through it are increasing.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I love driving. I love her curves. She has muscular arches in all the right places. A great rear-end. When I slide into the driver's seat, she holds me just right. She likes going for a cruise around town just as much as she likes me pounding through her gears. Yup... I love driving.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    YUP....Plain and simple....I love riding on old dirt roads.......sliding sideways at 90mph with the e-brake up is by far my favorite thing to do!!!! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't know how to drive.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Haha, these forums on the whole are as american and backwards as I thought. Throw in some science and fact that inconveniences, and it's thoroughly ignored! :-)