A Calorie is NOT Just a Calorie - New Study

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    But the question to beg is I know quite a few people if not a few dozen who eat like they don't care, they don't stress what they eat and are the healthiest people I have seen. Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Its not about health or calories its what you BELIEVE IN that will make you healthy.

This is the real gem in this thread.

LOL. Can you imagine what the insides of these people looks like, after eating MacDonalds and other junk all the time?

It probably has no effect on them because they have good genetics. Some people are lucky like that.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well, McDonalds food is just made up of protein, fat and carb like all other food. And insides are just made up of insides. Or are there Happy Meal toys and loose fries in some people? Or little puking Morgan Sperlocks? :smile:
    Who knew that a voice of reason could also be hilarious? :laugh:
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    But the question to beg is I know quite a few people if not a few dozen who eat like they don't care, they don't stress what they eat and are the healthiest people I have seen. Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Its not about health or calories its what you BELIEVE IN that will make you healthy.

This is the real gem in this thread.

LOL. Can you imagine what the insides of these people looks like, after eating MacDonalds and other junk all the time?

It probably has no effect on them because they have good genetics. Some people are lucky like that.

No effect that you can see, sure.

But fill your body with fat and grease and all the wrong things and keep vitamins and all the RIGHT things from it...your insides are going to be ruined no matter how good your genes are.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    But fill your body with fat and grease and all the wrong things and keep vitamins and all the RIGHT things from it...your insides are going to be ruined no matter how good your genes are.

I like how you make things up.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

I like how you make things up.

http://womenshealth.about.com/od/girlshealth101/a/fastfoodteenwei.htm

From the article:

Participants were asked during the physical examinations given as part of the study how often they ate breakfast, lunch or dinner at fast-food restaurants. Researchers found that the adverse impact on participants’ weight and insulin resistance was seen in both blacks and whites who ate frequently at fast-food restaurants, even after adjustment for other lifestyle habits.

Study participants included 3,031 young black and white adults who were between the ages of 18 and 30 in 1985-1986. The participants, who were part of the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study, received dietary assessments over a 15-year period. CARDIA centers are located in Birmingham, AL, Chicago, IL, Minneapolis, MN, and Oakland, CA.

According to the study, men visited fast-food restaurants more frequently than women and blacks more frequently than whites. Black men reported an average frequency of 2.3 visits per week in 2000-01. White women had the lowest frequency, at an average of 1.3 visits per week in 2000-01.

THAT'S how you do a study.

And those people who claim to eat junk all the time, yet they are thin and healthy looking? I'd be willing to bet they are lying to make it seem that way. Or at the very least, exaggerating.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

LULZ @ thinking epedemiological studies prove a damn thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Studies rarely "prove" anything. A controlled study is generally considered the gold standard, but no good scientist will discount the value or importance of epidemiological studies.

Epidemiological studies have too many variables to make a definintive statement of cause, but they paint a very important picture of real life habits and outcomes. Controlled studies can make more definitive statements, but only within the very specific confines of the study. Remove or add one variable in real life and the results could be very different.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Studies rarely "prove" anything. A controlled study is generally considered the gold standard, but no good scientist will discount the value or importance of epidemiological studies.

Epidemiological studies have too many variables to make a definintive statement of cause, but they paint a very important picture of real life habits and outcomes. Controlled studies can make more definitive statements, but only within the very specific confines of the study. Remove or add one variable in real life and the results could be very different.

I'm well aware there are always many variables. My point was that there were many more people in the study over a longer period of time which lends to its accuracy.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Is the obvious really that hard to see?

If I consume 2000 calories per day at a macro ratio of 40/25/35 (P/C/F), I am eating 200 g of protein, 125 g of carbs, and about 78 g of fat. It does not matter whether I eat at McDonald's or from an organic farmer's market, as long as the food fits within my macro targets.

McDonald's does not sell some fatal kind of protein. They don't sell magic carbs that are going to give me smoker's lungs (or otherwise "ruin my insides").

The reason a Big Mac would generally be a bad choice for someone with the calorie and macro goals stated above is because it's a 550 calorie burger with a macro ratio of 18/34/48 (P/C/F). You don't get much bang for your calorie buck if you're trying to achieve a daily protein target of 40%. It's just not all that practical.

The reason McDonald's is a bad choice for the average person is because the average person has no idea how many calories he/she is eating per day or what his/her macro ratios are on a day-to-day basis or what his/her BMR or TDEE is, etc. THAT is the problem.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If I consume 2000 calories per day at a macro ratio of 40/25/35 (P/C/F), I am eating 200 g of protein, 125 g of carbs, and about 78 g of fat. It does not matter whether I eat at McDonald's or from an organic farmer's market, as long as the food fits within my macro targets.

McDonald's does not sell some fatal kind of protein. They don't sell magic carbs that are going to give me smoker's lungs (or otherwise "ruin my insides").

The reason a Big Mac would generally be a bad choice for someone with the calorie and macro goals stated above is because it's a 550 calorie burger with a macro ratio of 18/34/48 (P/C/F). You don't get much bang for your calorie buck if you're trying to achieve a daily protein target of 40%. It's just not all that practical.

The reason McDonald's is a bad choice for the average person is because the average person has no idea how many calories he/she is eating per day or what his/her macro ratios are on a day-to-day basis or what his/her BMR or TDEE is, etc. THAT is the problem.

Please stop being rational, it has no place here
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Okay, let's pretend for a minute that anything you order from MacDonalds falls within the average macro ratio of 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) even though we know it doesn't.

What about the sugars? The amount of saturated fat? Trans fats? Cholesterol? Sodium? And the lack of vitamins?

Do you guys realize that even if you get the 40/30/30, it's possible all that fat is the bad kind (saturated or trans). It's likely there's a ton of sugar? And there are very few vitamins?

Do you realize what that would do to you inside, even if it didn't make you visibly fat?

That's called skinny fat, and it's just as bad! The things it would do to your heart, to your intestines during digestion, to your arteries...
  • Acg67
    Options

Okay, let's pretend for a minute that anything you order from MacDonalds falls within the average macro ratio of 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) even though we know it doesn't.

What about the sugars? The amount of saturated fat? Trans fats? Cholesterol? Sodium? And the lack of vitamins?

Do you guys realize that even if you get the 40/30/30, it's possible all that fat is the bad kind (saturated or trans). It's likely there's a ton of sugar? And there are very few vitamins?

Do you realize what that would do to you inside, even if it didn't make you visibly fat?

That's called skinny fat, and it's just as bad! The things it would do to your heart, to your intestines during digestion, to your arteries...

Do tell what's bad about sat fats and all trans fats. And you may want to check up and see what skinny fat actually refers to...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If all our bodies need were macronutrients this might be so. Try living on just oil, protein powder and simple sugar and let me know how that works out for you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I am not advocating eating at Mc Donald's because I find it gross, but they have great Unsweetened Ice-Tea and black coffee so I do spend a buck or 2 every once in a while when I am out on tea or coffee.

There is nothing wrong with saturated fat. Vegetable oils are more likely to be worse off for your body than saturated fats.

Man made trans fats are bad for you yes.

Saturated fat and cholesterol doesn't do anything to your heart, intestines or arteries (which you already said heart)...............
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Do tell what's bad about sat fats and all trans fats. And you may want to check up and see what skinny fat actually refers to...

I never said that either is bad for you in moderation.

I said too much is bad. And if you ate MacDonald's all the time, you'd have way too much of both. Which is NOT good.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12867692/ns/health-fitness/t/more-reasons-cut-back-saturated-fats/#.T_Mqp5HakoE

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/fat/overview.html

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Fat.aspx

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-312-7454-0,00.html

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/#the-bottom-line

From the last one which lists its reputable sources in an easy to find manner:

The Bottom Line: Recommendations for Fat Intake

Although the different types of fat have a varied—and admittedly confusing—effect on health and disease, the basic message is simple: Out with the bad, in with the good. You can do this by choosing foods with healthy fats, limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, and avoiding trans fat. Here’s how to make it happen:

Eliminate trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils. Food labels should say “0” (zero) on the line for trans fat; also scan the ingredient list to make sure it does not contain partially hydrogenated oils (food labeling laws allow food makers to have up to 0.5 grams of trans fat in a product but still list “0” on the line for trans fats). Fortunately, most food manufacturers have removed trans fats from their products. In restaurants, steer clear of fried foods, biscuits, and other baked goods, unless you know that the restaurant has eliminated trans fat (many already have).

Limit your intake of saturated fats by cutting back on red meat and full-fat dairy foods. Try replacing red meat with beans, nuts, poultry, and fish whenever possible, and switching from whole milk and other full-fat dairy foods to lower fat versions, or just eating smaller amounts of full-fat dairy products, such as cheese. Don’t replace red meat with refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, potatoes, and the like).

In place of butter, use liquid vegetable oils rich in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, in cooking and at the table. Olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, corn oil, peanut oil, and the like are great sources of healthy fat.

Eat one or more good sources of omega-3 fats every day. Fish, walnuts, canola or soybean oil, ground flax seeds or flaxseed oil are excellent sources of omega-3 fats.
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

If all our bodies need were macronutrients this might be so. Try living on just oil, protein powder and simple sugar and let me know how that works out for you.

Thank you!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So basically... eat clean?
  • Acg67
    Options

I said too much is bad. And if you ate MacDonald's all the time, you'd have way too much of both. Which is NOT good.
    Do you guys realize that even if you get the 40/30/30, it's possible all that fat is the bad kind (saturated or trans).

It looks like you said all sat and trans fats are bad

Although the different types of fat have a varied—and admittedly confusing—effect on health and disease, the basic message is simple: Out with the bad, in with the good. You can do this by choosing foods with healthy fats, limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, and avoiding trans fat. Here’s how to make it happen:

Eliminate trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils. Food labels should say “0” (zero) on the line for trans fat; also scan the ingredient list to make sure it does not contain partially hydrogenated oils (food labeling laws allow food makers to have up to 0.5 grams of trans fat in a product but still list “0” on the line for trans fats). Fortunately, most food manufacturers have removed trans fats from their products. In restaurants, steer clear of fried foods, biscuits, and other baked goods, unless you know that the restaurant has eliminated trans fat (many already have).

It appears they are talking about synthetic trans fats, when you said all trans fats were bad
  • AprilRenewed
    Options

Do you guys realize that even if you get the 40/30/30, it's possible all that fat is the bad kind (saturated or trans).

It looks like you said all sat and trans fats are bad

It appears they are talking about synthetic trans fats, when you said all trans fats were bad

Read again.

No. I said it's POSSIBLE that all the fats you'd be getting from the fast food are the bad kind. Meaning there are NO good fats - Omega fats - in there.

I'm done. Ya'll do what you want to do. I don't really care.

But I would appreciate it if you were just a little more respectful. It's possible to disagree and still be kind.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Calories are calories are calories... Studies like this are a WASTE of time.

No they are not. Many of us have known for a long time that all calories are NOT equal.

When the body processes calories differently from one another makes them not equal.

Exactly.

I'm actually testing a theory right now. I used to have carbs as my late night snack - popcorn or a serving of chips or oatmeal (yes, oatmeal). Until I gained a pound. Now, I'm trying to end my night with less carbs and more protein. So far, I've lost a pound.

A whole POUND???!!!!!

Groundbreaking.

I was exaggerating. It was more.

"Exaggerating": I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Besides that, you never said over what period of time you lost the one lb. If it was relatively quickly, I would say that most of it was probably water. Carbs and salt make you retain water, FYI.