How do you sleep?

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
When my daughter was a baby she shared our room for her first year (in her own bed). We found she slept better if there was a constant sound when she was napping (a white noise machine). Unfortunately, when we moved her in with our son, we needed (probably me more than my husband), a noise machine in our room as well since we'd gotten so used to it.

Last night our machine completely flipped out and would NOT stay on. Somehow it got put on a timer and would go off every 30- 60 minutes. The SECOND it turned off, I was awake since I can no longer sleep in when it's silent. Thank DOG we managed to get it working correctly so I can sleep tonight.

So, my question - can you sleep when it's quiet, or do you need noise or can you pretty much fall asleep no matter what?

Replies

• ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Has to be quiet and completely dark, I never used to sleep soundly when my babies slept in my room.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My kids tend to toss and turn at night, so I prefer some background noise to help mask the sound of them bumping into the wall. :)
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    i work at night so i have to make the room dark and have some sort of noise going on so i can get my 4 or 5 hours
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    Very dark, very quite and very cold
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Has to be quiet and completely dark, I never used to sleep soundly when my babies slept in my room.
    This for me too. My boy lasted all of maybe 3 days in our room as a newborn!
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I dont sleep well at all

i need sound and gentle light so i've always got a dvd or two lined up to play
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    With my eyes closed....

but honestly, I have to fall asleep with a tv on, and a window open or I wont sleep.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Very dark with some white noise and the temperature must stay between 64 and 66 deg.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I usually fall asleep with music going , which shuts off after about 90 minutes, but I can sleep without it, if necessary too.

Basically, I can sleep pretty much anywhere :laugh:
  • 7bel0
    7bel0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    sleep? What is sleep? *kidding* I work nights so I have learned that I sleep when I can, when I'm tired, no matter where I am at. I can pretty much sleep anywhere, anytime.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    sleep? What is sleep? *kidding* I work nights so I have learned that I sleep when I can, when I'm tired, no matter where I am at. I can pretty much sleep anywhere, anytime.

I envy you. Even when I'm dead tired I can't fall asleep without tossing and turning for at least 20-30 minutes.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    however im comfortable...which is almost always.
    i would prefer to sleep to music, but my wife cant.
    fell asleep to cannibal corpse almost every night of my high school career...it's a wonder i didnt murder, sodomize, and eat my family...in that order.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    white noise! yes! i can't sleep unless my fan is on. kids are the same way. plus it blocks out other noises, like crickets/birds/neighbours.

i think everyone would benefit from sleeping with a fan/white noise machine.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    We sleep with a fan on in our bedroom. It started when our dog would wake us walking on our hard wood floors at night. "click, click, click" of his nails. So we were told to turn a fan on. Now I cannot sleep without that noise
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    TV on.
    When it turns off in the middle of the night, I wake up & turn it back on.
  • hollymedic
    hollymedic Posts: 10
    Options
    white noise on a loop on iTunes. And my iphone in a pinch, there's a great app by TMsoft called white noise that's great.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Must. Have. Puppies. Seriously, I can't sleep without my dogs unless I'm beyond exhausted. Bullmastiffs and Dane/Mastiff mixes make GREAT covers, lol.
    Cold (with a fan is even better).
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Always have a fan going- even in winter. It drives the hubby crazy because he gets cold. If the fan isn't going, I have to have that white noise app going on my phone. Funny thing is that I can't sleep with the tv on unless sports are on.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Dark and quiet. I prefer cold but only if I have adequate covers.
    A few years ago my father-in-law had major surgery and my husband and I had to stay overnight at his house. I wanted to sleep in the guest room. Husband thought we'd sleep better on an air mattress in the living room. I reminded his of my dark and quiet rule. And I told him I was cold. He said it would be fine. And it was. For about 20 minutes. Just as I was getting sleepy, his dad shuffled into the kitchen and turned the light on. Then he started coughing and clearing his throat. Eventually he sat down at the table. And fell asleep. And started snoring. At the kitchen table. And I was right, the blanket wasn't enough and I was freezing. All three rules broken at once. And husband wondered why I was in such a bad mood the next day. I promised that next time he did something like that, I would make sure he didn't sleep either.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Ever since I had my own room I needed the television on at a low volume. It wasn't that I needed white noise to get me to sleep, I have auditory hallucinations (I hear voices) that are a part of another mental illness I was born with. The voices were active in silence at any hour but night time scared me since I grew up with the bogeyman crap. When I got older I managed to sleep with nothing on, but I couldn't sleep more than 4 hours a night or I'd go days without sleeping and then have months of insomnia. I finally got put on medication that shuts the voices up and I can sleep without the TV, but sometimes I keep it on anyway for the light (no windows in my bedroom and no outlet near me for nightlight) or because I just want to hear the TV and avoid thinking if I'm stressed.