Should I give up

Options

Replies

• stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    Eat more calories OP

How can you say that when you have no clue what she is doing now?

And on a completely unrelated note, is it really so much more effort to write "you" instead of "u", "you're" instead of "ur," "people" instead of "ppl," etc.? Sorry, perhaps you're 12, not a native speaker, and learned English from texting. If so, my apologies. But it's incredibly annoying trying to have an adult discussion when you write like that.

u no waht im sayn?

--P

Gee whiz, actually I kind of agree with the person saying eat more. Yes, it might be wrong, given that we can't see what the OP is eating. BUT, I think the reason so many "diets" fail is for this precise reason - people restrict their intake to the point where they feel so insanely deprived that they fall off the wagon and give up. It is possible to eat 1650 calories a day and still lose weight. 1200 calories a day when you are 40 pounds overweight is not enough food. And I'm speaking from the experience of someone who has successfully lost over 40 pounds and is now at goal and I've never eaten under 1400.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    u shouldnt be cutting calories.

i just assume ur eating way too few calories and thats y ur gaining. this seems to be everyone's problem around here.

just increase ur calories

No. You don't lose weight by eating more calories. Please don't give anyone this terrible advice. If you're saying eat more than at present but continue to maintain a reasonable calorie deficit, then I probably agree (knowing nothing about the OP, daily calorie intake, etc.). But facile statements like "eat more calories" are not helpful.

OP: you need to figure it out for yourself. Your diary is closed, so what can we say? Maintain a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. If you're serious about taking control of your health, then do the research and make it happen.

Otherwise, just keeping doing it half-way and continue to fail. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the reality.

--P

when most ppl here complain abt not losing, they are usually eating way too few calories and are probably netting below their bmr.

i stated that she should increase her calories with the assumption that she isnt eating enough calories in the first place..

every other thread on here is always about "y am i not losing", and they are only eating 1000 calories per day. its always the same thing

Eat more calories OP

That's the problem, you assumed. Never assume, you can end up giving the wrong advice.

Do you know anything about the menopause? If so, you will fully realize what happens and how weightloss can become that little bit more difficult. You missed the bit where the OP mentioned it I gather.

Upping the calories to lose weight is something many people automatically post - such as yourself. Firstly you need to know how many calories per day the OP is on, which she is not displaying, this is why it is nearly impossible to advise.

OP any chance you can open up your diary please?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories OP

And on a completely unrelated note, is it really so much more effort to write "you" instead of "u", "you're" instead of "ur," "people" instead of "ppl," etc.? Sorry, perhaps you're 12, not a native speaker, and learned English from texting. If so, my apologies. But it's incredibly annoying trying to have an adult discussion when you write like that.

u no waht im sayn?

--P

Gee whiz, actually I kind of agree with the person saying eat more. Yes, it might be wrong, given that we can't see what the OP is eating. BUT, I think the reason so many "diets" fail is for this precise reason - people restrict their intake to the point where they feel so insanely deprived that they fall off the wagon and give up. It is possible to eat 1650 calories a day and still lose weight. 1200 calories a day when you are 40 pounds overweight is not enough food. And I'm speaking from the experience of someone who has successfully lost over 40 pounds and is now at goal and I've never eaten under 1400.

You are assuming too.

I only had 30lbs to lose and I lost all of it on 1200 calories per day for just over six months, it was plenty of food PROVIDING I ate nutritious stuff and did not eat crap - crap = using up my daily calorie allowance on food that would not fill me up.

The OP needs to open her diary, otherwise nobody can advise a thing, unfortuantely.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    #1 add some friends
    #2 log daily and often during the day
    #3 get excited
    #4 are you ready to do this for you?

you can add me as a friend if you like, I will bug you. :bigsmile: You have to be ready to make the change. I tried this for the last 2 years, was not ready to do it for me. Now I am doing this for me and it is working. Are you ready to do this for you?
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In addition to the logging in daily and really counting every thing you eat and drink....I think you might need to do some work on why you are using food as a drug.

I realize I"m not menopausal yet...I AM perimenapausal....BUT I have seen lots of women on this site who are menopausal and lose. Everyone has challenges. Some have medical issues that make it harder, etc....Life sucks sometimes. It's not fair. So what? Consistently eating well and exercising (no matter how moderate) has never caused someone to gain weight or become less healthy.

The only way to lose the fight is to give up entirely.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    you already gave up
    sorry
    To say it is do do it
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Have you read the quote on your profile picture?
  • sallyrose88
    Options
    I have been in this site for 6-7 months and have gained weight. I log occasionally. I need a jump start. I truly feel low and I started the year 188.8 lbs and now I am 193.7lbs. I am menopausal and all the will power I have is seeming to be drained. I feel maybe I am destined to be this weight. I would some constructive advice,do I take a break,do I start slowly cutting calories, what am I supposed to do.Should I take supplements like L carnithine, green tea, zinc or any thing to see some light.

please stay on track i am also struggling but that is what this site is about, i lost and gained too, but something just has to click for it to sink in, mine was my nan. at 96 and a size 24 always struggling with weight, and now she has been told she is terminally ill (at 96, i know, bloody good going!) she will never be able to reach her goal of wearing a two piece, which she has been struggling with for over 80 years!! stay on track, one day it will click and before you know it, youll be 50lbs lighter. i dont want to be the person who dies knowing they could of done it if they just did it!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    First off are you actually even overweight? If you only want to lose 12 pounds, that's something to consider. For example a healthy BMI weight for a woman my height (5'6) is 118-155 pounds. My goal weight is 130 pounds. Another woman my height might aim for 118 pounds. Does that mean that at 130 she would be overweight?? No. So consider that you may already be at a decent weight for your height that your body has resolved too.

If you are overweight, then do something about it. Track your calories, and get ample exercise. Make sure you get enough sleep, between 7-8 hours a night, and that you are drinking enough water.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP daily for 23 days. I do not always eat healthily, but I log EVERYTHING that passes my lips (except for one day...we had a potluck at work) I've lost 7 lbs so far.

I find one of the best ways to keep on track is to have goal oriented friends, I know mine have helped keep me accountable.

All MFP'ers feel free to add me for support

And, OP, I've added you :)
  • Hessie84
    Hessie84 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!!! No don't give up!! You can do this!! You should make a goal board!! Or something you see everyday with your weight loss and level of activity goals. Have you been participating in a workout program at all??
  • stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    Eat more calories OP

u no waht im sayn?

--P

You are assuming too.

I only had 30lbs to lose and I lost all of it on 1200 calories per day for just over six months, it was plenty of food PROVIDING I ate nutritious stuff and did not eat crap - crap = using up my daily calorie allowance on food that would not fill me up.

The OP needs to open her diary, otherwise nobody can advise a thing, unfortuantely.

Yes, I do agree with the crap part! It is much easier to fill yourself on nutritious stuff but don't ya think a little extra means you can eat a chocky or two (or five) occasionally?! :wink: And I AM assuming that what worked for me will work for others... but... we must all find our own path.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I want you to consider how you would feel if you DID give up? I've had my moments when I wanted to give up, but then I think of how lousy I'd feel if I did give up.

My WW leader used to say "Trying is lying", if you were REALLY trying, you would be losing, or at least maintaining. Are you exercising along with eating right? Are you logging EVERYTHING - every B.L.T. (bites, licks, tastes)? Are you weighing and measuring everything (we sometimes over estimate the amounts we eat)?

You've got to be honest with yourself, as honest as your mom would be with you. Not to mention, if you gave up, would THAT make you lose weight any faster??? Nope!!!

Sounds like you may need some cheerleaders in your corner. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm a pretty dang good cheerleader!!! :wink:

But NO, DON'T give up!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have been in this site for 6-7 months and have gained weight. I log occasionally. I need a jump start. I truly feel low and I started the year 188.8 lbs and now I am 193.7lbs. I am menopausal and all the will power I have is seeming to be drained. I feel maybe I am destined to be this weight. I would some constructive advice,do I take a break,do I start slowly cutting calories, what am I supposed to do.Should I take supplements like L carnithine, green tea, zinc or any thing to see some light.
    Don't give up!

First go to your settings and set yourself to lose 1lb a week, no more, no less. If it gives you 1200 calories because you're close to your goal, change again to lose 0.5lb a week. Log every mouthful of food and drink. Aim to eat healthily 80% of the time, but even when you don't, stick to your calorie limit. Aim to be slightly under, but never with hundreds remaining.

Make your diary public to keep yourself unaccountable. Make lots of MFP friends. Close off your diary every day to announce to them how you've done on that day. Even if you go over calories! In fact, ESPECIALLY if you go over!

Do exercise you love at least three time a week. Don't force yourself to do something you hate even if it burns more calories. If you're too busy to exercise, get in a power walk before work or at lunchtime. Eat back most of your exercise calories, allowing for a margin of error in whatever estimation method you use.

Don't bother with supplements, but try and make sure you're getting enough protein, healthy fats and fruit and veg.

It's not a diet, it's about changing your lifestyle. MFP works because it's simple, achievable, and flexible to accommodate however you want to eat and burn your calories.

Looking forward to seeing your success story soon! :flowerforyou:
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    don't give up, you can do it!

I'm menopausal too, some recommendations:

drink lots of water

eat less processed foods

eat more veg

look on it as an experiment e.g. see if you feel better when you cut out wheat or dairy etc. as someone already suggested you may have an intolerance to something

find exercises that you love

find challenges to do on the forum, the "Move your @*kitten*" challenge really helps to motivate me, last month I walked over 70 miles, this month I'm going for 100

and you could also consult your doctor if you already haven't

add me as a friend if you like :smile:
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs 2 years ago and now Im on MFP to help me lose the next 50. I am also postmenopausal. Our hormone status and age DOES make it harder ! Its hard to watch this board and see folks (yay for them!) dropping lbs like theres no tomorrow. However that doesnt mean its not possible. After many stops and starts what worked for me (besides cleaning up a diet) was adding weight/resistance to the cardio. I could do all kinds of walking etc and not lose a thing. Once I added weights/resistance stuff, not only did it help with weight loss, but it also helped my hot flashes/night sweats tremendously.

Dont give up !
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Giving up is not an option!! I have been trying to lose 30 lbs since last august the 15th!! LOOK AT MY TICKER...........Grrrrrrrrr:sad: ! I have lost 19.5 lbs, but every single ounce has been hard won. I have watched my friends get thin in three months, and had all sorts of people tell me "why dont you just do what so and so did":explode: .......I am doing everything I can do!!! three doctors later, i am still frustrated, I KNOW my thyroid is jacked up, but they say im normal, even though my TSH is zero (which is not normal). They want me to go in for monthly labwork, which is a PITA, But, in the meantime, I can not give up!!! And neither should you, do it because you can, and re examine why you want it, and keep yourself consistant!! Every great sucess was preceeded by failures!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ms_cataclysm
    ms_cataclysm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Am sorry that you're having a tough time with dieting. Someone will probably shoot me for this but weight loss may not be your number one priority.

If you are feeling emotionally low, , make sure you budget some time to do pleasant things with nice people . Improving your mood will give you more oomph to tackle the diet and also help you avoid comfort eating.

If you are low on energy, it might help to think about tweaking your diet for more protein, fruit and veg and paying some attention to getting a good night's sleep . Some people don't sleep as well during menopause and you might need to revisit your sleep habits.

Good luck.
  • vinniemc
    vinniemc Posts: 4
    Options
    portion control your food (smaller plate ) have 3 snacks a day (fruit and so on ) i log but i tenf not to log on here as i find that by logging in a book that i have at home as its just easer that way.

excersis as well helps burn cals . . . high intensive cardio like body combat or a spin class. there is no point giving up . . .