My friend wants me to eat cake

Options

Replies

• dinellelou
    dinellelou Posts: 22
    Options
    If you do want the cake, I would ask her for a tiny piece of it (tell her it's because you can't resist it because it looks so good!--If it does haha). Then you can always stop eating and eat half of the tiny piece. I am trying to eat half of things like that. Good luck! It's nice that you are so considerate of your friend! I like the idea of wrapping it up to go too! :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can always just "get full" from dinner and just eat a little piece to try it.
    You can also work out a little harder to earn a bigger piece.
    Or she could say no politely instead of going through all this crap. She doesn't want it, stop it.

If she doesn't want it, she should just say that and not give an excuse about dieting because that just opens it up for discussion and cajoling.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can always just "get full" from dinner and just eat a little piece to try it.
    Or she could say no politely instead of going through all this crap. She doesn't want it, stop it.

But it's rude to not eat everything put in front of your face at another person's house, didn't you know? I know I get offended when I have people over and they say no thank you to eating something I made. BAER
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    In your situation, here is what I might do.
    Eat the cake, because I want to - not to make a friend feel better.
    And afterward?
    Take an hour walk with some head phones.
    End of story :drinker:
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Id still have a really small bit so at least I got the taste.. :) you cant deprive yourself of everything...
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    well i have no time to work out today so i cant fit it into my calories and to be honest i dont want to eat it .. im happy with my greek yoghurt . I just dont like the fact that i almost feel like i should eat it to make her feel better ....

don't eat the cake and don't feel guilty about it. As individuals, we must make decisions for ourselves. Sure, don't hurt others intentionally....but don't hurt yourself either.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Dogs shouldn't eat human food, it's horrible for their digestive systems.

But... humans eat meat... dogs eat meat...

Surely you don't suggest your blanket statement should cover every canine nutritional base!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    A friend will understand that eating cake is not healthy for you. Putting your health first is difficult at times but doing so helps us reach our goals. I have learned a bite of something usually solves the problem.

Best to you in your journey.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people make me feel that way or when they just won't take no for an answer! It makes everyone uncomfortable and is totally unnecessary! Hopefully your friend will understand.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if you want it, eat it.
    if you dont, dont.

for ME, elimination from my diet is the road to failure.
    if i want cake, i will have cake (and eat it too). i will then account for that in the coming days, or prepare for it beforehand.

make a choice and own it.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Thank you ! my friend makes me feel guilty by saying oh maybe i shouldnt have a piece then if your not having one .

I dont want to eat it. I just shouldnt be made to feel guilty about my lifestyle choice.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Thank you ! my friend makes me feel guilty by saying oh maybe i shouldnt have a piece then if your not having one .

I dont want to eat it. I just shouldnt be made to feel guilty about my lifestyle choice.

You can't take responsibility for other peoples' decisions and actions, and you don't need to take responsibility for their feelings either as long as you didn't do something harmful to them.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    I am vegetarian and I only eat free-range eggs this gets me out of alot of situations similar to the one you are in, and it means I don't feel guilty and I don't hurt anyones feelings...WIN WIN situation!!! :smile:
  • Louise12
    Options
    P.S I am not depriving myself.. i just dont want to eat cake. Its nothing to do with restricting myself.. trust me if i wanted it i would work out a way to have it , but for now becuase i have planned my meals and I am happy with them i dont see why i shouldnt stick to them rather than making an unhealthier choice.
  • Louise12
    Options

You can't take responsibility for other peoples' decisions and actions, and you don't need to take responsibility for their feelings either as long as you didn't do something harmful to them.

Thanks!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Dogs shouldn't eat human food, it's horrible for their digestive systems.

But... humans eat meat... dogs eat meat...

Surely you don't suggest your blanket statement should cover every canine nutritional base!

Jeez. Really? Use some common sense and/or don't be a d*ck.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    What you do or do not eat is your decisioin. If you don't WANT cake, that's fine. If you want cake but just don't think you SHOULD eat it, that's a different story. Everything in moderation. A small piece can be added into your daily intake.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Dont eat the cake, dont feel guilty. Im sure it will get eaten by somebody, it doesnt have to be you :)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Have a very small piece
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1) Do you WANT to eat cake? It's your decision not hers...

--If you DO NOT want to eat cake...
    say "no thank you" you shouldn't really have to defend your choices.
    (but some people really do pressure you into it... So I sometimes back pocket a few reasons why I can't indulge unrelated to dieting. Your dieting often makes others feel guilty that they are not. if they can pressure you into being "bad" they feel better. So just take that out of the equation.)

--If you DO want to eat cake...
    budget for it with your diet and exercise calories.
    (bank some calories OVER A COUPLE OF DAYS before and/or after the event... If your like me and do it all in one fell swoop you'll probably be hungry and cranky and that puts you at greater risk for falling off the wagon.)

2) Is cake a TRIGGER FOOD for you.
    There are some foods that can have a little of and move on and then there are some foods that I can't stop until it's gone.
    When I was a fat kid, my Grandma used to say. "One won't hurt" After a while my answer to that was "One is worse than none!" I had recognized that one just made me want more.

REMEMBER:
    We are here to live a better life, not to lead a life of constant deprivation (or constant indulgence) and part of living a better life (in my opinion) is enjoying time (and meals) with friends. Not stressing every breathing moment about food, but figuring out how to balance it all. (do you think I have enough parenthesis in the sentence?)