Vegetarian diet and mental disorders

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I would guess this correlation is due to a higher degree of sensitivity
    This is why people don't like vegetarians. Stop acting superior.
    I didn't mean this as a superiority thing at all. What I meant was that vegetarians, on average, are a lot more sensitive and emotional, especially when it comes to animals. I don't see how that makes them superior.
    You're implying that people who made a different choice than you are insensitive and don't have your high degree of empathy for other living creatures.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I didn't mean this as a superiority thing at all. What I meant was that vegetarians, on average, are a lot more sensitive and emotional, especially when it comes to animals. I don't see how that makes them superior.

^^ Pretentious much?

People who eat meat are genetically predisposed to not being able to be sensitive?

No, I'm saying that it's a common trait among vegetarians, but it's absolutely not exclusive. You'll find a higher concentration of the bleeding heart, save the furry little animals types among vegetarians. I really don't intend to be pretentious, but this is an observation that I've made that I'm sure many people, vegetarian or not, would agree with.

That I agree with....strolling through the old OWS camp in SF....mostly vegans...go figure :p
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm still puzzled as to why there would be any widespread agenda against vegetarianism, given the relative scarcity of meat. It's heavily subsidized and still expensive, and a lot of people would be very unhappy if increased demand caused prices to go beyond the reach of the average American.

Environmentalists are probably also quite happy with the idea of more people following a vegetarian diet.

Problem is that this is where environmentalists (who probably tend to be vegetarians too) are misguided. No good can come from raping the land of nutrients and high density farming to feed everyone an all vegetarian diet. Forests will be cut down, topsoil depleted, animals displaced and killed just to raise huge factory farms that do more to harm the environment than to protect it.

Pound for pound animals provide more nutrition and have less impact on the environment when it comes to grazing land vs clearcut farmland.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

^^ Pretentious much?

People who eat meat are genetically predisposed to not being able to be sensitive?

But ... she didn't say that. She suggested that the higher degree of emotionality may be the influential factor. A person is more emotional and more prone to depression and anxiety. A person is more emotional and thus unable to see their burger as a piece of food but instead as a dead animal. Just like with anything else though, this could be a generalized suggestion, not the rule. Another highly emotional person may see the food as a dead animal but believe strongly in the rights of humans as above them in the food chain and thus not feel the same way about eating them.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This whole 'making fun of vegetarians' will only stop when there's more of them I think. No one makes fun of vegetarians in India. There are hundreds of thousands of strictly vegetarian restaurants, both high and low end (with menus over 5 pages long) and supermarkets and convenience stores that are completely vegetarian. It is an accepted thing, a normal thing. That is mostly due to the fact that millions are vegetarian there.
    I'm non- vegetarian and everyone constantly tells me, "If you're gonna eat meat, eat it once or twice a week." Can't do that though...
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am far from vegetarian, and I have a slew of mental disorders! Asperger's, ADHD, anxiety disorder and PTSD. How on earth could they make a reliable study with that? I would only assume that it is a coincidence.
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're implying that people who made a different choice than you are insensitive and don't have your high degree of empathy for other living creatures.

I guess I can see how it might come off that way, and I apologize. I really don't mean to offend anyone or assert that vegetarians are superior, because we're absolutely not. Diet doesn't make anyone superior, and neither (at least in my opinion) does sensitivity - it's simply a trait, and it can't really be weighed on a moral scale.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Correlation doesn’t prove causation
    I agree, I do find it interesting that many vegitarians here claim they showed signs of symptoms previous to leaving meat out of the diet. There are confounding variables for sure. I am curious if one where say exibiting signs of a mental disorder and then treated for that disorder, if they would then be less likely to become vegitarian.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Higher degree of sensitivity =/= others are insensitive. And many people scorn people with "too much" empathy, not just in vegetarianism but in business, war, politics. People have varying degrees of empathy as much as they do varying degrees of intelligence, athleticism, competitiveness, spirituality. I take no offense to others saying they are more spiritual than me. They are. I take no offense to others saying they are more logical and rational than me. Often, they are. I have dear friends that are MUCH smarter than me, much fitter than me, much more poised and eloquent than me, much better with money and impulse control than me. It just is what it is. None of us are better or worse than the others for those things.
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You'll notice that people who are highly intelligent are healthier than those that are less clever, and will stand a greater chance of being a vegetarian. Brainy people try to eat better foods than less smart people. You'll notice that smarter people will run, ride bikes, and do aerobics more than spend hours on end pumping iron. If you notice that a lot of vegetarians and people who sway that way are depressed, it's because they recognize the harm being done to the planet, but are incapable of doing anything about it. These people are constantly trying to improve themselves and the people around them. It's the way their minds work.

Well said! ^^^^
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I agree, I do find it interesting that many vegitarians here claim they showed signs of symptoms previous to leaving meat out of the diet. There are confounding variables for sure. I am curious if one where say exibiting signs of a mental disorder and then treated for that disorder, if they would then be less likely to become vegitarian.

For me, no. Being a vegetarian/vegan is about my beliefs and my feelings about myself in relation to my beliefs. I'd be more challenged if being a meat eater was essential for survival. It would be interesting then to see how anxiety and depression would be affected. But for me, it just isn't difficult not to eat meat, so it's not nearly as big of a deal to be a vegan to me as it is to people around me that don't understand it.
  • Marll
    Options
    You'll notice that people who are highly intelligent are healthier than those that are less clever, and will stand a greater chance of being a vegetarian. Brainy people try to eat better foods than less smart people. You'll notice that smarter people will run, ride bikes, and do aerobics more than spend hours on end pumping iron. If you notice that a lot of vegetarians and people who sway that way are depressed, it's because they recognize the harm being done to the planet, but are incapable of doing anything about it. These people are constantly trying to improve themselves and the people around them. It's the way their minds work.

Wow, what broad sweeping, unfounded statements. I'll go ahead and tell an ex workout partner with quadruple PhD that he's actually a moron because he lifts weights and eats meat....
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    But the problem with that is, the article says:

The analysis of the respective ages at adoption of a vegetarian diet and onset of a mental disorder showed that the onset of mental disorders tends to follow the adoption of the vegetarian diet.

You've got correlation but not enough to demonstrate causation. The vegetarian diet cannot be isolated as a causal factor unless you have a controlled study with people randomly selected to adopt a vegetarian lifestyle. It could be that the genetic disposition toward the disorder also increases the tendency of the person to self-select vegetarianism, or that the disorder is only diagnosed well AFTER the person adopts the lifestyle, and adoption of a vegetarian lifestyle is actually an early unrecognized symptom.

There may be enough to say, "hey, you're a vegetarian, that's an indicator that you are x% more likely to develop one of the following mental disorders and we'll watch more carefully for those in you so we can help you catch it earlier if it develops", but not enough to say "you know, going back to being an omnivore would decrease your chances of developing one of the following mental disorders".

Until you took a population of vegetarians and asked half of them to start eating meat, or selected random members of the population and asked half of them to adopt a vegetarian lifestyle and the other half to start eating meat, you haven't controlled for a possible bias toward vegetarian preferences in people prone to the disorder.
  • Marll
    Options
    All you fellow meat eaters leave the vegetarians alone. If everyone ate more meat, very few people would be able to afford it!

I'm not sure where you live where meat appears to be so expensive. Yes it's been on the rise mostly due to sh**ty economy and the price of fuel to get it to market, but it's far from unaffordable in most places.

I've decided to buy local grass fed beef here where I am, and once the price works out, for ALL cuts (even ones that cost $10/lb in the grocery store) come out to about $3.75/lb. Pretty affordable I'd say.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Pound for pound animals provide more nutrition and have less impact on the environment when it comes to grazing land vs clearcut farmland.

Acre for acre it's more efficient to convert already-clearcut grazing land into farmland. You'll produce far more calories per acre.

A cow eats a LOT more calories to produce a pound of beef than are found in the pound of beef. Taking the space that cow needs to graze and converting it to farmland would yield more human-consumable calories out of that land. Considerably more.

I'm an omnivore, but I recognize and accept the inefficiencies inherent to eating meat. Fortunately, we are currently capable of producing far more food than the humans on the planet actually need, so we can easily absorb that inefficiency. Population increases may change that formula someday, but for now we're good.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    All you fellow meat eaters leave the vegetarians alone. If everyone ate more meat, very few people would be able to afford it!

I'm not sure where you live where meat appears to be so expensive. Yes it's been on the rise mostly due to sh**ty economy and the price of fuel to get it to market, but it's far from unaffordable in most places.

I've decided to buy local grass fed beef here where I am, and once the price works out, for ALL cuts (even ones that cost $10/lb in the grocery store) come out to about $3.75/lb. Pretty affordable I'd say.

I think it can be had for an affordable cost as well. I get my meat from an all pasture raised, grass feeding farm called 8 oclock ranch and their ground beef is only $3.50 a lb
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    This whole 'making fun of vegetarians' will only stop when there's more of them I think. No one makes fun of vegetarians in India. There are hundreds of thousands of strictly vegetarian restaurants, both high and low end (with menus over 5 pages long) and supermarkets and convenience stores that are completely vegetarian. It is an accepted thing, a normal thing. That is mostly due to the fact that millions are vegetarian there.
    I'm non- vegetarian and everyone constantly tells me, "If you're gonna eat meat, eat it once or twice a week." Can't do that though...

Ok, I tried to stay out of this but India? Really? India is ranked 2nd in the world of the number of children suffering from malnutrition. The prevalence of underweight children in India is among the highest in the world...
    You'd think being a vegan country they'd be healthier than that.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm still puzzled as to why there would be any widespread agenda against vegetarianism, given the relative scarcity of meat. It's heavily subsidized and still expensive, and a lot of people would be very unhappy if increased demand caused prices to go beyond the reach of the average American.

Environmentalists are probably also quite happy with the idea of more people following a vegetarian diet.

Problem is that this is where environmentalists (who probably tend to be vegetarians too) are misguided. No good can come from raping the land of nutrients and high density farming to feed everyone an all vegetarian diet. Forests will be cut down, topsoil depleted, animals displaced and killed just to raise huge factory farms that do more to harm the environment than to protect it.

You didn't factor in the extra water required to raise the animals. One of the biggest sources of beef subsidy is water subsidies.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

The laws of supply and demand would cause prices to spike if more people demanded meat. Also, meat is heavily subsidized, otherwise, a steak would cost you almost $100 and a burger more than $30.

To be fair, I only have one source for that. I'm trying to find others.

"Diet for a New America" is the source.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Ok, I tried to stay out of this but India? Really? India is ranked 2nd in the world of the number of children suffering from malnutrition. The prevalence of underweight children in India is among the highest in the world...
    You'd think being a vegan country they'd be healthier than that.

Doesn't India have a third of the world's poverty? That might be a better explanation for the malnutrition.