CARBS and BIG BELLIES

Options
raerae514
raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
So I was watching an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday and it was all about big butts and big bellies. He was telling about how they're different and how you can fix it.

For big bums, I don't really remember how to fix because that's not my problem. He did say that butt fat is healthier than belly fat BUT it's harder to get rid of.

For belly fat, it's quite unhealthy. The fat builds up around your intestines and organs and your HEART, so, not very good at all. His advice for big bellies is to to eat LOW CARBS and ANTI-INFLAMMATORY foods. ALso aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

So my question is, what are ANY anti-inflammatory foods? And what are some good low-carbs foods? I've never limited or paid attention to my carb intake so i really don't know what's what.

ANd for any of you on a low-carb diet, how's it going? Is you belly fat disappearing?

Replies

• riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My lil belly disappears in a month of low sugar low high glycemic foods. Even if I don't lose weight. Nothing but weight loss and exercise affects my butt. I'm not sure about anti inflammatory foods. I would imagine food high in antioxidants would be a good start. And healthy fats.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz. You can't reduce one part of your body over another. It will all reduce given enough time and weight lost. There is no trick other than patience and hard work.

Focus on consistency and logging your food and success will come regardless of what fads and gimmicks a salesman with a Ph.D on television tells you you need to follow.
  • raerae514
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz. You can't reduce one part of your body over another. It will all reduce given enough time and weight lost. There is no trick other than patience and hard work.

Focus on consistency and logging your food and success will come regardless of what fads and gimmicks a salesman with a Ph.D on television tells you you need to follow.

Yes that's what we've all heard and assumed to be true; I just want to know people's results with low-carb diets. You have too much belly fat, you probably have too much everywhere fat, so if you lose weight, you lose belly. Of course.

I'm not sure what Dr. Oz has to gain by telling people how to eat better, but I'm sure what he's saying is not complete fiction. If you have a PhD then go ahead and argue, but I don't, so I won't.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Yes that's what we've all heard and assumed to be true; I just want to know people's results with low-carb diets. You have too much belly fat, you probably have too much everywhere fat, so if you lose weight, you lose belly. Of course.

I'm not sure what Dr. Oz has to gain by telling people how to eat better, but I'm sure what he's saying is not complete fiction. If you have a PhD then go ahead and argue, but I don't, so I won't.
    Dr Oz is a cardiac surgeon, he has about as much nutrition training as you do. He says on his show what his sponsors pay him to say. Low carb does nothing for body fat. It helps lose water weight, but a calorie deficit is the only thing that will cause fat loss.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've done low Carb and high Carb out of sheer boredom just to see if there was a difference in the amount or where I would lose it from over the last year or so. About the only difference i've noticed is that on the days I pig out on fruit I feel like king kong at the gym. Did it make my butt get smaller faster than my stomach or vice versa? Nope. Didn't speed up or slow down my weight loss either way. Maybe if you get some stretegicly placed blood clots you could make one part of your body get smaller faster than the other, but other than that it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Dr. OZ is an Oprah made product, just like Dr. Phil. Anyone know where I can get some snake-oil?

I eat 300 - 400 g of carbs a day, I don't have a belly (anymore!). Caloric deficit is what did it for me. Hell when I was doing 1200 - 1300 calories a day for 7 months 50% of my diet was carbs.
  • raerae514
    Options
    Dr. OZ is an Oprah made product, just like Dr. Phil. Anyone know where I can get some snake-oil?

As a Canadian, I would imagine you could get in in Texas or Arizona.... hahaha... WHAT is snake oil!!!
  • ThreesCompanee
    Options
    If I was a producer on that show..... they should include examples of exactly what the are "recommending."
    Telling people to eat low carb, anti-inflammatory food and do anaerobic exercise is all well and good, but I bet 90% of the audience is thinking, what the hell is that? Seems kind of pointless to suggest something without specific examples.
    P.S. I am part of the 90% so I have no suggestions for you :(
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    You can never spot reduce fat. And you don't need to avoid carbs while dieting, just make sure you are below your maintinence levels every day. Low carb diets have been effective in helping people shed fat quickly, but most of it gain them back once they start eating normal foods again. This is because their body gets accustommed to using Ketones for energy, and once the carbs come in they will be stored as fat. Anti-inflammatory foods include alot of fish and things like green tea. These are good to eat just because in general, they are healthy food options (nothing special about the anti-inflammatory properties). Just be consistent and you will see results!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

As a Canadian, I would imagine you could get in in Texas or Arizona.... hahaha... WHAT is snake oil!!!

"The phrase snake oil is as a derogatory term used to describe quackery, the promotion of fraudulent or unproven medical practices. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with questionable and/or unverifiable quality or benefit. By extension, the term "snake oil salesman" may be applied to someone who sells fraudulent goods, or who is a fraud himself."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
  • raerae514
    Options
    If I was a producer on that show..... they should include examples of exactly what the are "recommending."
    Telling people to eat low carb, anti-inflammatory food and do anaerobic exercise is all well and good, but I bet 90% of the audience is thinking, what the hell is that? Seems kind of pointless to suggest something without specific examples.
    P.S. I am part of the 90% so I have no suggestions for you :(

They showed examples! The anti-inflammatory things were like nuts and olive oils and multi-grain bread with avocado spread... and the "anaerobic exercise".. Well there was a "fitness expert" and she did a demonstration on a stepper, just stepping up and down for a while (aerobic) and then did another like sideways stepping thing really really fast for a short period of time ("anaerobic" to my understanding).

Then later I was looking at a chart in the little booklet that came with my HRM, and it said the aerobic zone is i think 50-60% (or 60-70% I don't remember) of your max heart rate, and then next zone up after that was anaerobic.
  • raerae514
    Options

"The phrase snake oil is as a derogatory term used to describe quackery, the promotion of fraudulent or unproven medical practices. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with questionable and/or unverifiable quality or benefit. By extension, the term "snake oil salesman" may be applied to someone who sells fraudulent goods, or who is a fraud himself."

Aww I thought it was a real thing, so gullible! (not like i would eat snake oil anyway)
  • sabras18
    sabras18 Posts: 24
    Options
    The big thing about middle area fat is the high processed food. Dieting alone will not take it away but it will help. Cutting out "box food" as I call it helps. Instead of buying hamburger helper buy all the stuff to make it homemade. More time consuming yes...... however the results will begin to show. The process food messes with your cortisol levels which makes you retain middle fat. Simple food diet will not only give you the ability to eat way more, it will keep you full longer. I did this 3 years ago and the results were great.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Some good advice is to stop listening to Dr. Oz.

^ Absolutely this. A PHD in medicine is not necessary to determine that someone is full of *kitten*.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Somebody needs to cleanse and flush that quack.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Aww I thought it was a real thing, so gullible! (not like i would eat snake oil anyway)

It is a real thing, i own snakes and you should oil them to help with their shedding and keeping their skin healthy (scrapes and things of that sort)....never heard it used as an expression , but i use snake oil in real life
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Low carb is just a calorie controlled diet in disguise.

Fat around your belly isn't less healthy that fat around your bum. It's just about where it goes first. Most people the main storage is belly.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz....i do believe he is for the good of the people rather than the money. I watch a lot of his weight loss shows, and it makes sense, and i love how he finds different viatmins and herbs that most of us have never heard of. But hey, thats just me.....

I've never seen him say "keep it low carb", I just heard him say things like eat most your carbs in the morning or afternoon and eat light at dinner, and make sure they are whole grain and good carbs instead of like white bread or whatever
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

It is a real thing, i own snakes and you should oil them to help with their shedding and keeping their skin healthy (scrapes and things of that sort)....never heard it used as an expression , but i use snake oil in real life

I don't know about oiling snakes - but the oil referred to in snake oil is from the Chinese Water Snake.

It contains omega 3 fatty acids like oily fish.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Dr Oz told everyone Green tea was naturally decaffeinated he is dumb