First time Jogger at 270 lbs

So....... I've always "wanted" to be a jogger. When I see them on the sidewalks, I almost envy them. I think it is great for your body, your healthy, your mind - I have just always been "too big"

Recently I have turned my sick addiction of reality tv into watching The Biggest Loser, Extreme Weightloss, and other shows that can motivate me. After watching 300-400 lbs men and women jog/run on the treadmill I thought maybe I could do it.

Monday was my first jog. I woke up early in the morning and just did it. I walked, jogged, walked, jogged, walked for a mile.

Then again this morning I did the same thing.

But I found my mind saying, "go go go - keep going" and my body saying, "stop ouch it hurts" My feet were cramping, my thighs were tight, and my shins were aching. But I was listening to Pandora and the song FIGHTER by Gym Class Heroes came on, and I was able to push myself a little farther.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or is anyone else in the same situation? A heavy weight trying to run!!!!

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Congrats for taking the first steps! They are hard steps to take, and you should be proud. :smile:

Starting off doing walk - jog - walk - jog intervals is the way I started and I am sure loads of other joggers started like that too. My advice is twofold - get a good sports bra and get decent trainers. The trainers should help prevent cramping in your feet, which in turn will reduce cramping everywhere else. And a good sports bra will reduce bouncing up top, which can be a lil' offputting! Other than those two tips (which are probably the only two bits of advice I've ever taken myself), just have at it and watch the pounds melt off.
  • orr_stacie
    orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
    Dont forget to stretch first! Keep it up!
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    I want to try! I am 226 pounds. i have always wanted to be a jogger/runner too!! my ultimate goal when I finally get healthy is to be able to run a 5k.
    You totally motivated me! Tonight, I go on my first jog! I will report back with how it went:)
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Walk-run is a great way to ease your way into running - just add a little more every week. I agree with the suggestion of getting a good sports bra and a good pair of running shoes. Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • tnorkus
    tnorkus Posts: 45
    hey Fab!! I'm also a 270 lb jogger. I started out last year when I was probably around 330 and couldnt make it 0.1 mile without stopping. But I kept going out and pushing until I could make 0.2 miles then I made 0.5 miles.... This weekend I entered a 15K. It will be tough as it is the farthest I will have run to date.

Make sure you stretch, stay hydrated and get a GOOD pair of shoes to run in.

My choice to start running started merely as a means to increase my calories outside of the gym and now I really love it.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Invest in the right shoes and stay off the concrete sidewalks to reduce impact and risk of injury.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Stretch before AND after and be hydrated... also good shoes change alot!! Great job!!!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Yessss! I started out at 274lbs here.... I was a jogger when I was lighter, but missed it soooo much because of the how I felt after. I don't have any advice because you seem to be on the right track with the right mentality. Awesome, awesome, awesome for you!
  • dgravley
    dgravley Posts: 13 Member
    Find or download the ebook Run Your Butt Off. It gives great advice for beginners, especially how to train without injury. It's a great resource.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Jogging/running is hard for anyone starting out, but I can imagine the heavier you are the worse it is. I recently decided I'm tired of living sedentary, and tried jogging too. That mixed walk-jog-run on the first day almost killed me, but it IS getting easier as I go.

Keep it up, and like the above poster said STRETCH! before and after your run :)
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    I started right around the same weight...

I also started with walk jog intrevals...and I would push a little harder and a little longer each run...now I average 5-10km 3 times a week.

If you feel "injured" don't keep pushing, but I say if I am not puking or collapsing I can finish my run ( haven't puked or collapsed yet)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    I kept this document that another MFPer posted. I take no credit for it but I wanted to keep it on hand for myself!

PROGRAMME

Week 1: ONLY WALK

Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, jog/run 1 minute (W4;R1). In that order. Repeat for total duration of exercise. Stay with this pattern for at least 2 weeks, or as many weeks until is starts feeling easiER (not easy).

Next stage (maybe week 4, maybe later): walk 3 minutes, run 2 (W3;R2). This is the hardest jump to make, as you're effectively doubling your running time. Don't lose heart at this point. As above, do this stage for at least 2 weeks, but more than likely, more than 2 weeks.

Next stage: W2, R3 - now you're running more than walking, but by this point your body has been conditioned for running and your fitness will be much improved, so while daunting on paper, it's probably easier than W3, R2. As above, stay in this pattern for at least 2 weeks, probably more, until it feels noticeably easiER (not easy).

Penultimate stage: W1, R4 - you should be quite fit by this stage, at least relative to where you started. You need to do this, as with all stages, for at least 2 weeks, but likely much longer. You'll know you're ready to move on to just running when the 1 minute of walking is actually beginning to annoy you, and it feels more like a break in your rhythm than a relief. This will come at a different time for every person. It's a leap of faith, and only you'll know when it's time to ditch the walking entirely.

TIPS
    - moving onto the next stage is not only about your fitness, but your body conditioning. While your lungs and heart may be ready to move on, your joints and muscles may not be, and moving on too soon increases your risk of injury;

- to help your joints and shins in the early stages (shin splints are almost guaranteed in the early stages), fill some polystyrene cups with water and freeze them. Once frozen, peel away the polystyrene and ice your joints, shins and muscles with them every day after your workout.

- breathe through your mouth and nose when running

- to minimise lower back problems, keep your core engaged while running / walking

- keep your shoulders down and your hands loose. Keep your head down looking in front of you about 10 - 15 metres
    - vary your running route

- get out on the roads - a treadmill is great cardio, but it is not actually running. If you view someone on the treadmill in slow motion, the action is closer to jumping (i.e. jumping to keep from falling off) than true running.

- until you can comfortably run for an hour (comfortably means the ability to talk to someone while doing it), SPEED AND DISTANCE ARE IRRELEVANT. Do not worry about running faster or further. Focus on the time. If your run is a mere shuffle or slow jog, it doesn't matter, as long as you're able to do it for an hour. There is plenty of time later for worrying about speed.

- incorporate cross training to work other muscle groups (e.g. swimming) or strength training. Squats and lunges will do your hamstrings and quads a world of good and minimise the incidence of injury.

Good luck
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Iam 187 lbs and did the first day of c25k, it was hard and I sweated buckets but I did it :happy:
  • mokab
    mokab Posts: 29 Member
    I would love to be a jogger. I seem to be stuck at the 1min jog/1min walk. I have done that for a mile but can't seem to progress. But at least my legs are lifting.
    Best of luck you are great motivation for me.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    So....... I've always "wanted" to be a jogger. When I see them on the sidewalks, I almost envy them. I think it is great for your body, your healthy, your mind - I have just always been "too big"

Recently I have turned my sick addiction of reality tv into watching The Biggest Loser, Extreme Weightloss, and other shows that can motivate me. After watching 300-400 lbs men and women jog/run on the treadmill I thought maybe I could do it.

Monday was my first jog. I woke up early in the morning and just did it. I walked, jogged, walked, jogged, walked for a mile.

Then again this morning I did the same thing.

But I found my mind saying, "go go go - keep going" and my body saying, "stop ouch it hurts" My feet were cramping, my thighs were tight, and my shins were aching. But I was listening to Pandora and the song FIGHTER by Gym Class Heroes came on, and I was able to push myself a little farther.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or is anyone else in the same situation? A heavy weight trying to run!!!!

If your new to it you want to stretch first and maybe after. Your body will ache for the first few weeks so you want to take it easy and build those muscles up. They wont build over night but around week 3 or so you shouldn't be feeling to much pain. I'm currently doing the same thing with jogging. I only jog every other day to try and give my legs enough time to repair properly.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    I kept this document that another MFPer posted. I take no credit for it but I wanted to keep it on hand for myself!

PROGRAMME

Week 1: ONLY WALK

Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, jog/run 1 minute (W4;R1). In that order. Repeat for total duration of exercise. Stay with this pattern for at least 2 weeks, or as many weeks until is starts feeling easiER (not easy).

Next stage (maybe week 4, maybe later): walk 3 minutes, run 2 (W3;R2). This is the hardest jump to make, as you're effectively doubling your running time. Don't lose heart at this point. As above, do this stage for at least 2 weeks, but more than likely, more than 2 weeks.

Next stage: W2, R3 - now you're running more than walking, but by this point your body has been conditioned for running and your fitness will be much improved, so while daunting on paper, it's probably easier than W3, R2. As above, stay in this pattern for at least 2 weeks, probably more, until it feels noticeably easiER (not easy).

Penultimate stage: W1, R4 - you should be quite fit by this stage, at least relative to where you started. You need to do this, as with all stages, for at least 2 weeks, but likely much longer. You'll know you're ready to move on to just running when the 1 minute of walking is actually beginning to annoy you, and it feels more like a break in your rhythm than a relief. This will come at a different time for every person. It's a leap of faith, and only you'll know when it's time to ditch the walking entirely.

TIPS
    - moving onto the next stage is not only about your fitness, but your body conditioning. While your lungs and heart may be ready to move on, your joints and muscles may not be, and moving on too soon increases your risk of injury;

- to help your joints and shins in the early stages (shin splints are almost guaranteed in the early stages), fill some polystyrene cups with water and freeze them. Once frozen, peel away the polystyrene and ice your joints, shins and muscles with them every day after your workout.

- breathe through your mouth and nose when running

- to minimise lower back problems, keep your core engaged while running / walking

- keep your shoulders down and your hands loose. Keep your head down looking in front of you about 10 - 15 metres
    - vary your running route

- get out on the roads - a treadmill is great cardio, but it is not actually running. If you view someone on the treadmill in slow motion, the action is closer to jumping (i.e. jumping to keep from falling off) than true running.

- until you can comfortably run for an hour (comfortably means the ability to talk to someone while doing it), SPEED AND DISTANCE ARE IRRELEVANT. Do not worry about running faster or further. Focus on the time. If your run is a mere shuffle or slow jog, it doesn't matter, as long as you're able to do it for an hour. There is plenty of time later for worrying about speed.

- incorporate cross training to work other muscle groups (e.g. swimming) or strength training. Squats and lunges will do your hamstrings and quads a world of good and minimise the incidence of injury.

Good luck

Stolen, printed, and stuck on refrigerator :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Get a comfortable pair of running shoes, be consistent and never increase your mileage by more than 10% a week, vary your routes and terrain, keep a log of miles, strava.com and mapmyrun.com are both great, and above all have fun! Good luck and see you on the road!
  • ChadWGreen
    ChadWGreen Posts: 12 Member
    bump
  • ladyulliman
    ladyulliman Posts: 3 Member
    I've found that jogging is always somewhat uncomfortable for me - I mean, I always find something hurting a bit. My ankles or my side or shoulders. But I tell myself No Pain, No Gain (or something like that) and I keep going and try to get my mind on something else.

Hang in there - it's going to hurt a bit - but work through it. It'll get less painful the stronger your body gets.
  • kikiriedle
    kikiriedle Posts: 12 Member
    I have also just started to try to jog I weigh 301 but I have always been fairly active eventhough im big. I have started by walking normal, walking fast, and then jogging and repeat I usually do this between power poles to keep track. I do this for 2.89 miles. I really haven't had problems with cramps although my legs are usually sore the next day. I think I will try switching to more jogging once I start feeling that im not out of breathe as much. I wish you luck and keep it up!