TMI--but haven't gone to the bathroom since Saturday

Options

Replies

• hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    I have had this problem as well. I have found certain foods make it more severe.(eg processed foods and red meat-sugar based drinks and desserts).
    I step up my fluids and add fruit to my diet-a little flaked coconut helped me a lot. Also I find eating green beans and also eating avocodos help immensely. Good luck-been there and done that-it is miserable.
  • mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure it's not a medical problem. As for me, I take Flaxseed daily. That helps but when things get "slow" I like to drink LaxaTea by Celestial. It's gentle and hasn't caused cramping. It also tastes good. You can find it in the tea isle at most grocery stores. Watch out for some diet teas...they can give you cramps and "explosive" results.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    From the series of docs we saw for my daughter, try prune, apple, pineapple or pear juice. Lots of sugar, but hey, if it works...
    Dried apricots are so effective on me, I have to stay away from them altogether.
    Good luck!!!
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I used Eliminex.... it is a herbal tea.... usually two cups in a day gets things going the next day. But not to be consumed for a long period of time.... read the box if you buy it.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm on a very low cal diet - 1100 cals per day. I have the same problem, but find if I have a bit more fat in my meals it makes me go. (I had my gall bladder removed 6 yrs ago - ever since then my body can't handle fat, so gets rid of it very quickly!!) I also use prunes, figs, sprouts, beans. These help, but I think my body has become less regular due to my calorie intake, as if I go over on occasions, i don't have the problem. If you are in any doubt though, go and see your GP, they'll be able to sort it for you.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    I had the same outcome when i started drinking protein shakes. proteins in meats and such dont effect me at all but for some reason the protein powders back me up. are protein shakes part of ur daily routine? if so based on my experience id just turn to other sources to help with ur daily protein needs.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    1. Smooth Move tea used to work for me when I used to fast years ago

2. I had this same problem when I was on this purity kick. I used everything, suppositories, enemas, psyllium husks, colonics, etc. You HAVE to talk to your doctor or go to the Emergency room, psyllium husks (or metamucil) can sometimes build up of not taken properly.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had a bowel obstruction once & there was no pain until 6 hr before I got to the ER. The pain faded off after the first bout but was in full agonizing swing 5.5 hrs later. The only thing I did have was a niggly little ache in the fronts of my thighs, up near the groin, for a few weeks beforehand. I would go to the Doc now to be on the safe side because if it is an obstruction, the pain is worse than anything you could imagine!:flowerforyou:
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    I also haven't gone since Friday. I had a massive bought of going, sorry if it's TMI. I had been eating grapes all week. This was followed by a weekend of the worse stomach pain I've ever had. I could barely eat. It finally eased up on Monday. I've been trying to gradually up my fiber again but have been going light on the fruits.

However I am painfully bloated, gassy, and feel like I need to go but can't. It's an extremely annoying problem.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking for thyroid problems or food intolerances, both of which can develop at any time.

I had similar issues (or lack of issues, LOL) and it turned out that both cowmilk products and anything containing wheat/gluten were creating lock gut (and giving me nasty headaches). Eliminating those foods from my diet solved the problem. But thyroid changes can do the same thing so my doc had to rule that out along the way.
  • martinierin84
    Options
    First of all, its not TMI!!! I think this is an awesome thread because I feel alot of people, especially myself, has had this issue when eating clean and exercising.

A few things to try: 1 cup of blueberries or cherries, coffee, exercise, shreddies cereal, popcorn.

Honey, please do not start using laxitives etc. It will help you short term, but may cause long term problems and doesnt fix the main issue at hand which could be bigger than you think. Not to scare you but I would go to your doctor if it continues... Good luck
  • martinierin84
    Options
    Grapes are sooo sugary...and I've also had bathroom problems when I eat alot of grapes....be careful girl hope you feel better soon...
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    Grapes are sooo sugary...and I've also had bathroom problems when I eat alot of grapes....be careful girl hope you feel better soon...

If ever I'm having issues, grapes solve it within 48 hours, but in the worst way possible. We have an extreme love/hate relationship.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First of all, are you feeling bad? (sorry if you already answered that question...I didn't read through all the responses.) It IS possible that you're mostly just eating things that your body uses and you simply don't have much to expel. But if that's not the case (and reasonably, that's not the case for most people), definitely hydrate as it keeps things moving more comfortably, try a natural laxative like raw fruits/prunes/omega-3 oils (flaxseed, avocado, olive oil), and relax. Your body will react better if you try to relax (stretch, deep breathing, meditation).

If you're actually feeling pain, you probably need to see your doctor. Good luck! I hope you find some relief soon.
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have it for a long time. Lately I've been adding a tbls of hemp protein into my morning smoothie and I'm shocked at how its helped me. I didn't buy it for that purpose, but it seems to be working rather well... I've also been told in the past that too many leafy greens or fiber can actually cause the opposite affect if you aren't drinking enough water with it....
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If you notice increased intestinal distress after consuming high fiber cereal it could be a warning sign of gluten intolerance. That was a big clue for me. I had a big bowl of Fiber One cereal (wheat based) and WHAM! Headache and then I couldn't go for days.
  • ecjsw
    ecjsw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like Plum Amazins. The prunes help digestion and because they are diced it is easy to add to yogurt or cereal. The calories are a little high but good to help with digestion.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with similar issues in the past, but not to this degree. You are clinically constipated (1-2 bowel movements a week). One thing that will help you right away is magensium citrate. You can find it in the laxative aisle and it's clear and comes in a glass bottle. It only costs a few dollars and comes in different flavors. This will help clean you OUT. Also castor oil and water w/ sea salt will do the same thing. The water/sea salt is not good at all, but it does work. Now after you clean out, for maintenance, buy Miralax. Miralax dissolves in any drink you put it in. Drink the whole glass. It will keep you regular, also Fiber One products work well, eating LOTS of green veggies, and drinking alot of water. I hope this helps you.
  • JusticejamesbMBA
    JusticejamesbMBA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out anything with wheat or milk in it. I had this problem, I didn't go for 5 days, went to the doctor and he ran some test. I found out that I'm both celiac and lactose intolerant. I stopped eating both of those and I don't have a problem now...
  • thechimes
    thechimes Posts: 6
    Options
    I've had major GI problems over the years and the only thing I can recommend is Miralax and then an appointment with the doc. Miralax is different than other laxatives. Other laxatives make your muscles work harder, and eventually if you take them too much your muscles don't work on their own. So you can easily become dependent upon them. Miralax gently draws water back into your bowel (gross I know).

Stay away from all stimulants — coffee, anything with caffeine, laxatives (other than Miralax). I would also cut down your carbs and fiber intake until you get rid of what's in your system. Fruits and veggies are good — though they have fiber, they aren't as bulky as grains.

Also, peppermint tea or eater's digest tea helps.

And one guy said something about a bowel obstruction. I would make an appt. with your GI just to make sure that's not happening. This is super gross — if you're taking laxatives and haven't moved anything, you likely have something like that because the longer something sits in your bowel, the harder it becomes because it dries out.

Hope that helps!!

and PS — somebody said something about gluten intolerance. I cut out all gluten and my bowels started working like a normal person's bowels again. Just something to try!