Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• Morgan103084
    Options
    i gained weight on my last pregnancy, i had a boy and was so sick the whole time, i was eating to keep from throwing up. ( weird but it worked) i gained 45 lbs. I've been exercising for 12 weeks, i got the depo shot and it's stalled my progress, that sucker will wear off in two more weeks, I've never been so excited, i can finally lose the weight!! I've been doing Jillian's ripped in 30(completed) and the 30 day shred ( 3 days left). I'm a lot stronger and can see some definition, but my belly is still there. But not for long!!
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I ate because I felt ignored, like no one noticed me. I ate and ate and ate instead of dealing with my self esteem issues. I pushed away friends and family and replaced them with food. Now I eat less, still working on self esteem and trying to rebuild relationships.
  • tdcibilly
    tdcibilly Posts: 78
    Options
    i gained weight because i forgot to put the fork down.
    lol
    with me it was i lost my job and a family member etc
  • kalintohu
    kalintohu Posts: 8
    Options
    I gained weight because I am into strength training. I just love lifting heavy and every workout try to lift more than the last one. LOL
    However if you're asking only about the FAT, I gained it, because I was told so. The more that you eat the stronger you become. I believed in that and was overeating even though I had no appetite. So after 6 months I was relatively fat. But then I went on a diet and shed 22 pounds in 40 days.
  • Semioticghosts
    Semioticghosts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I figure I gained a stone per year of doctorate. I've got two, which took me seven years in total of sitting at a desk too much, too often, for too long, while eating whatever got me through at the time, and very likely drinking too much, too.
    I knew it at the time, but thought "whatever gets you through..."
    On the whole, I think it might have been worth it, but gods, it's hard work losing even some of it *wheeze*
  • vgpeterson1984
    vgpeterson1984 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I dont think that i ever got into habits of eating right. I was active when i was little. Dancer and chucky when i was a teen. Wouldnt eat all day and then come home and gorge.
    Then i met my husband whom also has bad habits....we would let eachother side and go out to dinner. We are also both very frugal which is wonderful in some ways but a 1.00 double cheeseburger from Mcdonalds was a cheap go to.

Either way MFP has helped me lose 30 lbs, then i fell off the wagon and we went on a cruise and i have gain 10 back. Now i am back and feeling strong.
    I love the support from MFP and would love to find a buddy to check in with on a daily basis. Feel free to add me.
    Happy 4th of July
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started snacking from 5pm until I went to bed at night and the habit took its toll.
  • monerddd
    monerddd Posts: 27
    Options
    I always had a weight problem ever since I was 7 years old.. xD haha always eaten those chocolates and fast food...ahhh! and also PASTA! :D. I loved those moments...but than I realized after entering middle school that attractiveness comes from being thin. I kind of got made fun of every day all the way till high school. I hate those kids that made fun of me to this day..it made me eat even more for comfort and feeling whole. When I first entered high school I started to transform myself slowly and it's starting to work a bit... still obese..now that I am an adult.. but it's called self improvement I'll master this weight loss one day :D. aNd become an inspiration to those people and tell them that there beautiful always... :0. I chose to lose weight also because I wanted to become an inspiration to my mom showing you can do anything as long as you put your heart and mind into it. I also gained weight because I simply hate exercise... XD Still do. I stay away from exercise..luckily I log in what I eat so I won't over eat..however I love walking with friends no matter how long...even a small jog with them or a swim or go to the gym with them...when it comes to me by myself I hate exercise..so I gained weight XD. Like any person mostly in this forum: tons of food, comfort, no exercise... xD. I log in what I eat..so I guess I can still lose weight..calories in vs. calories out right? XD lol.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Hrmm, I'm kind of long winded so don't mind me.

I was overweight since I was in elementary school. I think it started as a combo of having asthma and low self esteem. I couldn't do many sports and because I couldn't run (due to breathing issues) so I was almost always the last one picked in gym class. I was sick ALL the time and missed so much school too. So, I became a loner. I just didn't have time to develop the friendships and social skills I should have. I then used food to make myself happy.

I grew out of my asthma at 11 years old but I continued to be inactive and eat too much. My mom was never around after she divorced my stepfather when I was 12. Her exact words "Its time for me to live my life" and my sister (age 14) and I were old enough to start taking care of ourselves. So, being kids, we ate whatever we wanted. When my mom was home, she felt so guilty she would buy us anything we wanted to eat. (aka food as a reward) When I was 16 I moved out on my own. I ate even worse....
    I did do very well on my own though. I finished school, I held a job, I went to college...

I was a size 14 jean at 12 years old, a size 18 jean at 16 years old and a 22 jean at 20 years old. At 31 ( around 2 years ago), I was almost in a size 24 jean

1.5 years ago I decided to change my life. I ate better and I exercised

Today, I am a size 12. I have lost 10 jean sizes. :)

Thankfully, I married my soul mate when I was 20 and he stuck with me through everything! He has always been supportive and loving towards me no matter what I looked like. He helped me gain my self esteem, confidence and I learned to love myself. I have never been a better person then I am right now. I am so healthy inside and out and he had a major part in that. I am so grateful.

'If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe
  • jwilllose
    jwilllose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Binge eating- plain and simple. I weighed 170 last summer and 128 today- the difference has been I've stopped using WW to allow me an occasional binge.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Pure laziness, eating too much and then just sitting on my backside!!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Laziness and not knowing any better. My parents never encouraged a healthy lifestyle, but since moving out I've learned I've been doing everything wrong and I need to change.
  • lucywhatford
    lucywhatford Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've always been a bit bigger, through school I could never seem to keep my weight down, then went to college, joined weight watchers and managed to lose about 2 stone. However, I then went to University, and absolutely hated where I lived so comfort ate my way through the first year and even when I moved somewhere else the bad habit continued and over the course of 3 years I put on 4 stone! You forget how hard it is to lose it again when you''re sat gorging.....
  • Acherona
    Acherona Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Traumatic event as a child, so i thought making myself ugly and fat would stop it happening but nothing changed. When into foster care and i ate to fill a whole and it just continued from there. When i was 19 and 20 i had my two children which came with more weight and i just didn't think it was an issue nor that bad til i started feeling the strain as well as what the scale said x
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well I have always been over weight, my lowest adult weight is 250 pounds. But in November of 2008, my best friend and I were in a car accident and she lost her life. And I believe that event played a big role in why I put on 65 more pounds. I was an emotional wreck and I had a badly bruised leg so I couldn't move for about 1.5 weeks. But the emotional toll was the worst, I could barely do anything for about a year.
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I went from having a highly physical job as a housekeeper, to having a desk job as an accountant. I didn't change my eating habits. Since I wasn't burning as many calories, I packed on the pounds. Before I knew it, I was 193 pounds!
    I started changing my eating habits a little, but didn't give up candy and didn't really exercise.
    I lost a little weight, but was still on the heavy side at the time. I started going to the gym and got down to 165. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing anymore weight until I realized I wasn't giving up the candy!
    I started counting calories about two months ago and have lost almost 15 pounds. This is because I limit my intake each day and don't pig out on candy and fast food amymore.
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I gained weight at first due to bullying at school. I'd come home and everynight i'd sneak up bags of crisps and chocolate and cry myself to sleep while binging on the snacks, i became chubby from an early age. I started to become very overweight when i got depression around the age of 13, and then by the time i was 15 i had shown signs of PCOS, which was confirmed. Due to that (and poor eating habits) I gained weight VERY quickly and became obese. And now, here i am fighting for a healthy life and not letting the fat beat me! :)
  • brunagota
    brunagota Posts: 38
    Options
    I was always a little fat as a kid, but I was bully a lot in school for being a little diferent, I wanted to be like the boys and play so the girls hated me and the boys didn't want to do anything with me. so being bully made me very unconfortable with my body and self. and I started to have low self esteem. thats when I started gaining weight.
    But the big weight gain happend when I was finishing college. I had finally lost 20 kg = 44.pounds, but the presure of the final year was too much. I'm was an Architect student and the project I chose to do was to complicated and I spend day and night working on it for 6 months... with that I all so ate ate and ate... in the end I gain 27 kg =59 pounds.
    gaining all put me in a deep depresion. but I'm finally out of it and working hard to lose all that and more!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    When my general health goes down, my weight goes up. I started to gain a little when my foot had a bunion on it, because I didn't want to be on my feet, and I became less active overall.

I gained some more when I got diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I just wanted to eat and take a lot of naps, because I had no energy to do anything else.

I got even bigger when I had a lot of migraines, because every movement I made caused me to feel dizzy. Working out while hallucinating just isn't safe, let alone fun. I couldn't recover from a workout, because I couldn't sleep right. I ended up taking lots of prescriptions, with lots of side effects, and one of those side effects involved weight gain.

Now that I'm off most of the meds and feeling better in general, my activity levels are going up, and the weight is coming off. It was a long struggle for a couple years just to feel ok, let alone lose weight.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For me it was health, I had always been very active then I started to be really ill. 3 operations & 6 years later they figured out I had endometriosis. The years of needless pills & lack of exercising took its toll. With a naturally small appetite there was nowhere to go in cutting down & upshot was a screwed metabolism.

Back exercising now & learning to eat properly I'm hoping I can say goodbye to the excess