Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I gained weight in an unhappy, 8 year long, marriage. Guess I ate to fill the void or something.
  • FatFreeKandee
    Options
    I got a bad start as a child, my dear grandmother went through the great depression and was so afraid that we would go without food like she had to. She would make 6-7 meals a day, there was always a hot southern butter filled meal on the table layed out like a pot luck for anyone who wanted to eat. She would also follow us around as children and give us icecream. She had a good heart, her intentions were good but she didnt realize the damage she was doing in the process. So i've been "fluffy" since i was 7 or 8 ...i'd get active in school activities and lose some and then gain some (i was young and didnt know what a diet was, nor should i have had to). But the unhealthy eating started young and just continued , i've been battling with it ever since.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bad habits, grief, bad decisions due to previous bad habits, in a nutshell.

I never had the best eating habits, but did ok, besides alcohol. Almost halfway through my second pregnancy, the baby passed on due to a complication that arose at 14 weeks and I gave birth in the ER. I had dealt with gestational diabetes though diet with my first, and was pregnant again 9 months later. I was happy, but after I lost the baby (not GD related), I was tired of the restrictions after so long... So I pretty much said "eff it, I dont care, and I'm sad." I had only gained about 20 pounds during the first (not as good as it sounds), and after nursing and eating the same healthy way I was down to high school weight from 182, which was 145. Yay! Now though, I've steadily gained for the last 2 1/2 + years since it happened, with my top at 190. I ate poorly, and drank way too much, that's all there is to it.

A conversation in February led me to decide that it was time to stop waiting until tomorrow to make the better choice, but start now. I'm chasing the wagon right now, but it is in sight, and I'm logging it every step I can! :ohwell: At least I'm trying, I figure. :happy:
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    PCOS
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    PCOS and people that died and I didn't take it well
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like to eat. And I like to dit down, afterwards.
  • kathym42
    kathym42 Posts: 26
    Options
    I quit smoking...I have never had a weight problem in my life...till I turned 50....also I think the beginning of menopause has added weight too
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I stopped going out with all my 'friends' after they tried to ruin my life. I just stayed in my room for about 3 years.
    For the first 6 months though I lost a ton of weight because I had constant threats from a ton of people, so I suffered from anxiety pretty badly, and all the hatred they sent me made me hate myself, so I didn't eat.
    But then after that, I made a few new friends, but I refused to go out with them because I thought if I got attatched it would all happen again. So because I was semi-happy again I started eating more, but I wasn't leaving my room to burn off calories I was eating.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight all my life, between not eating at a deficit, not healthy choices etc, but when i started college, i was 214. thought, o this can't be bad. thought that would be my heaviest.....

my mom, whom i watched die, and was very close too passed away from a massive heart attack (and she wasn't obese, she was 161 and 5'2" before the cancer she had that she was undergoing treatment for made her drop down to 111 she was 57) as well as copd in Feb of 2009. All i did was sit around, play wow, stuff my face, and never exercised and worried about where i was going to live before moving to where i live at now. on top of that, 11 months later, my grandmother (she was 84) passed away and almost a yr after that my father was in the hospital and suffered from a heart attack and a stroke (he is still alive and 71).

What finally made me change was not only the fact that I was getting hitched in Sept of 2011, but found I was pregnant with my son. My pregnancy (though i was active) is what caused me to lose weight from 243 to 219 (i was 219 the day my son was born) down to 204 and then once my body said no more as far as breastfeeding, i rejoined mfp (i had left because of what a friend on here had said about me) and am currently down to 195.5
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I stopped going out with all my 'friends' after they tried to ruin my life. I just stayed in my room for about 3 years.
    For the first 6 months though I lost a ton of weight because I had constant threats from a ton of people, so I suffered from anxiety pretty badly, and all the hatred they sent me made me hate myself, so I didn't eat.
    But then after that, I made a few new friends, but I refused to go out with them because I thought if I got attatched it would all happen again. So because I was semi-happy again I started eating more, but I wasn't leaving my room to burn off calories I was eating.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Working in a bakery.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No drama here.....ate more, moved less! Love the taste of most foods and just plain enjoyed each meal to the fullest! :love:
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Laziness, Depression, Injury, a Job I Hated, Feeling sorry for myself thinking I couldn't change things. Boy was I a mess and I REALLY LOVE FOOD!
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ten years ago I started walking and eating right and I lost the weight I wanted to. Now after I found out I had Fibromyalgia, I hurt so bad, couldn't sleep and food became my oasis.. I thought I could never exercise again. Wrong!! I have been walking at least 1 to 2 miles a day and eating better and have lost about 13 lbs. in 2.5 months and now it seems I hit a plateau.. But I am not giving up!!!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Because I'm lazy and I make excuses for it.
    Wow, you too?

ya, dang it. I'm turning it around though! Trying to pick up healthier habits instead of lazy ones.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I got a health issue which as I gained weight turned into self esteem, then I gave up. Then I found out I have a health issue that could kill me if I don't get my *kitten* in gear and take care of myself so here I am working on fixing 10 years of bad choices, bad thought process and no self esteem. Some days are easier than others.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I gained weight because I am addicted to fast food and lazy as all hell )=
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    when i was younger, i was 130 and i lost it for my crush, Once he and my best girl friend at the time totally screwed me over and stopped talking to me, i developed depression and 12 years later, im 70lbs over weight because of it. still trying to get over my behavioral eatting effect, once i get over the habit, i'll lose it again
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter in April 2010. That's what happened.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    when i was younger, i was 130 and i lost it for my crush, Once he and my best girl friend at the time totally screwed me over and stopped talking to me, i developed depression and 12 years later, im 70lbs over weight because of it. still trying to get over my behavioral eatting effect, once i get over the habit, i'll lose it again