Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing sports and being active when I graduate high school. Then moved in with my guy and started eating worse. Last straw was when I miscarried about a month ago. Hoping that when I get pregnant again I will be healthy! Also hoping that will be when I am out of school and married lol
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I just didn't care, and maybe stress had something to do with it too. But after taking a few martial arts classes, and losing my breath JUST from stretching, i said ENOUGH! Now, i'm more focused than ever in losing weight.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through anything horrible like getting pregnant or anything like that.
    I've just been chubby all my life. I've played sports since I was little, but I've just always been the chubbier girl.

The chubby days are over, though!
  • Lennonsmom11
    Lennonsmom11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to say it was the 5 kids I had or losing my daughter last year but there comes a point in your life when you have to take responsiblilty for your actions. I over ate and got lazy. That's what it comes down to. I am motivated and ready to be skinny!!!!:happy:
  • cassmarie82
    Options
    I have always struggled with my weight. I have yo-yoed for a LONG time. I did weight watchers and knew what I should eat and how much of it to eat. I knew I needed to excercise.

Mine was a combination of being lazy and loving food. I have never liked to work out but it is one of those things that once I get into a good routine I love the way it makes my body feel. I also have a love hate relationship with food. I love good food....and all kinds of food....sweet, salty, red meat, pasta. There isn't much I don't enjoy. I have got to learn that food is only a source of fuel for our bodies. I still struggle with this every day and I know I will struggle with it my whole life.

I have realized I have to "do the next right thing" even if I mess up and get back to the mindset of health and wellness.

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I lost my fiancee before we could get married. Then my sister had a child out of wedlock. I had to take a year off of school to take care of her son so that she wouldn't lose her job. The weight just came from me not caring about myself. Now I have learned new reasons to like myself and I'm going to add being in shape as one of them.
  • nroisland
    nroisland Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    2 kids in 2 years did it to me.... Also with the 2nd kid I thought I would just "bounce back" like I did with the first (hahahahahahahaha), ya that didn't happen.
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I won't look for excuses like I'd started to live with my boyfriend... I'll tell you as-is. I just love to eat, to enjoy that taste. And as a result I lost control.
  • nikki2609
    nikki2609 Posts: 128
    Options
    cluster migraine medication!! it was a choice of being chunky without headaches or get that weight of and look for alternatives for the head! i went for the latter option ;0)
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can not think of a time in my life when I wasn't fat. I grew up in a house where obesity was the norm, and had adult portions since I was like 3. I found a letter my mama wrote me when I was 17 months old saying how she put soda in my sippy cup. now Im not mad at her for this, she was young and trying to make me happy. but now im an adult, and I have the power to make my own decisions. I find it unbelievable that I weigh 15 pounds less than I did in the 6th grade. and thats 252. im really excited to know what I look like under this, because nobody, not even I know.
  • matthew621
    matthew621 Posts: 11
    Options
    I allowed food to be my temporary comfort in times of high stress. I have battled health issues, a frightening health issue with my son, marriage woes, and work related stress the last few years. I went from weighing about 125 to 171. I am now quite angry with myself and have a lot of work to do to lose the lbs.
  • manderthegreat
    manderthegreat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love food, love to eat, and never denied myself anything. Eating has been a hobby, a way to celebrate with family, what to do when I'm bored, how I deal with stress, my best friend and worst enemy...working hard to get on control of all that!!!
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    A lot of things contributed to my weight gain. I was definitely unmotivated. I used to play sports when I was younger but I still gained because I ate a lot of bad food. In high school, I stopped playing sports (and exercising altogether) and I had to go to the hospital freshman year so that caused an enormous weight gain (over four years I went from being in the low 140s to the high 180s). I also did a lot of snacking/eating when I was bored, I was stressed out, or I was feeling sorry for myself (especially when it came to how I looked).
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    Quitting a sport at puberty but kept eating the same amount of calories was probably what started it all. After that, I was always just 'the fat one' so I never thought I could be anything different.

IDK I'm still figuring out why I'm this big, if only so it doesn't happen again.
  • imoquenn
    imoquenn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was with a guy from the time I was 15 to the time I was 20, and he was always very supportive of my emotional needs. After a while, though, I got so that I couldn't be dependent on him any more (I just didn't want to be), and we couldn't work through that, so we split. Afterwards, I felt needed something else for emotional problems, so I started overeating and gained 10 lbs in three months. I've stabilized since then and my attitudes towards food have improved, so I haven't gained.. but I'm ready to start losing now!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    it started out as emotional neglect. Then as I gained weight, i kept gaining it out of hate for myself and not being able to lose it
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The first time, which was over the last 15 years it just slowly came on. I started eating worse, moving less....I felt like I had a reverse eating disorder, instead of looking in the mirror and seeing a fat girl that needed to lose weight, I still felt like a somewhat ok size and always kept intending to get any extra weight off sooner or later. In fact I was in complete denial and only thought I had 20 pounds to lose. Turns out it was 50+.

So I lost the 50 and felt great, but I had another 15 to go to my first goal weight and once I met that I would reassess. I had just gotten engaged, I had 9 months until my wedding and figured that last 15 would be no problem. Wrong....it seems the pressure to lose the last 15 made me actually not lose, and sometimes gain. By the time my wedding rolled around I had gained back 13 pounds.

On my honeymoon I gave myself the week off....I was in paradise and was surrounded by all you can eat buffets, why would I try to diet and exercise there? Coming home was a bigger let down than I had expected. I no longer had anything to plan, I wasn't the special princess anymore, I had to go back to work after a wonderful week and a half off, the house was a mess and I was just blah. I wouldn't say I was exactly depressed, but I guess I had the post wedding blues.

I told myself I could take a week back at home, get readjusted to everyday life and get back on track. But somehow that turned into another week, and another, then it was Thanksgiving, then Christmas. The excuses just kept rolling in. I got back on track many many times but would quickly fall off again due to stress from grad school or just being lazy. By six months after the wedding I had gained back the rest of the weight, and since then I have put on 10 more.

My big problem this time is I want instant gratification. The first time around, I had never started a diet and fitness plan and stuck to it for so long before. I was seeing results and it thrilled the hell out of me. I was so excited after each pound loss, each week being more and more exciting, never thinking I would be able to lose 10 pounds, then 20, etc. But now, the one pound loss doesn't excite me. I don't see it as progress, I see it as yay, one stupid pound and 49 to go. My view is very negative and I kind of feel like what's the point, it's going to take forever to get it back down again.

However my husband and I are trying to get pregnant and at this weight, I am not ovulating. I've known for a long time that my weight was the issue, but my blues about not being able to get pregnant just kept dragging me further and further down. But I've had sort of an epiphany lately....my mom died 8 years ago and my grandma just died. She and I were very close and I am very sad she won't be around to tell the good news to when I do get pregnant and to see her great grandchild. Life is short, and I am tired of sitting around being fat. I want to lose the weight again so I can get pregnant before I have any more regrets, or lose anyone else that I need here to help shares in the joys and struggles of having kids.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I ate too much while sitting on my backside... Will do it every time ;-)

Actually, I have lost and regained 3 times, somewhat...

Original gain was the "Freshman 20"... Eating like I did as a kid coupled with the freedom of eating what you want when mom don't guide your every step. Freshman 20 led to the Senior 90... During my 2nd professional job, I lost weight back down to 170 but due to changes in the job market, was without a job for 6 month...So I regained what I had lost.

Near 30, I started going to a new church and the pastor was really into running so I lost weight as I got into it as well. After I met the woman who was to become my wife, my focus changed and I started eating more again... After several years I had regained all that and more.

About the 4th year into my current job I decided to start taking care of myself again and dropped to about where I am now but again focus changed and bam.

Now, I am back down to about 263 but the difference is this site where I can keep up with changes I make and still know what I am doing. I also have really gotten into the fitness thing and support I have gotten concerning the relationship between nutrition and fitness... I see progress and that makes it easier to make the changes permanent. I am ever on my guard to keep things in proper perspective and not do it to myself again; @ 52 yo, you start looking at folks that are 60-65 years old ... the fitness level of people in that age bracket paints a totally different quality of life... It is time for change so my golden years are golden and not miserable.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bad stuff tastes better. burgers are $.99 and you cant drive and eat a salad.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    The personalized answer:
    1. Became inactive....got a desk job.
    2. Turned 30 - it's my answer whether it be BS or not.
    3. Continued to eat like I was 18 yrs old - diet of crap.
    4. Time slipped away for the next decade.