Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Was always very active. Did sports my whole life, then when I was a young adult I did warehouse work. never had to worry about calories or anything. Then I got a great office job, and continued my eating habbits. Gained, gained, gained, gained, gained, gained.. That is why I gained weight. Plus I come from an obese family that never taught me how to eat right. So i was raised on junk food and fast food.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    ((Macaroni & Cheese + Pizza + sweets) - (activity + good sense)) x 30yrs = fat

I'm not so hot at math, but I tried! Literally picky eating, bad nutrition as a kid, laziness...
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I lived in a bad home situation and skipped a lot of meals taking care of my brothers and when my grandparents too us in I went from doing everything to having everything done for me and it left me feeling empty so all I did was eat and sleep and work.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    ive always been big and not watching my calories and not excersing and the weight got higher and higher. then one day i was 249 and deciding i need a change so i got on MFP and starting losing the weight. 7 months later im at 192 and feel so much better about myself. couple years ago i lost weight and then it came back so this time its not coming back this time.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    because i was lazy...plain and simple LOL i hated exercising i didnt want to do the work to get fit and healthy....i ate too much and didnt move enough....

then one fateful morning i stepped on the scale and i was in the 160's and i flipped out! something had to be done! so that is what motivated me....i was so out of shape i couldn't even do 5mins on the elliptical without being winded....but now i can do 40-50mins at a time...and i feel SO MUCH BETTER...im not tired all the time...i love having energy...i love that my kids can see that i am taking care of myself and being healthy and being active....that alone is a great motivator for me....knowing my kids have a good role model in me
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Because I'm lazy and I make excuses for it.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I was very active and fit until ligaments in my knee were severed in an accident. At about the same time I found out my now EX husband was cheating on me, and I came down with 2 long-term diseases. Not surprisingly I developed depression on top of it all, and at least one of the drugs I was on from this whole mess was later found to cause thyroid damage for some - including me. I just gave up for awhile: food became my main source of solace and joy in life. I didn't care about the weight. I had too many other things to worry about.
  • fanniev
    fanniev Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking - within 4 months I put on 20lbs in the blink of an eye. I'd rather be over weight than be a smoker again.
  • LuchaLovely
    Options
    I moved across the country, away from everyone and everything I knew. Alone with my kids and husband, I just ate more I guess to try to comfort myself. Then I got pregnant with my fith child. 2 weeks after giving birth I was weighing 45 pounds more than when I had moved! Through hard work I lost it all in about a year. Then recently gained 10 back, so I am trying to do some damage control! I never had a hard time with my weight until I moved. I could always eat how I wanted and I lost weight after my babies by just breast feeding. Now my metabolism is my enemy! If i look at a bowl of Ice cream I gain 2 pounds!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Through pregnancy.

I will sound really dumb here but with my first pregnancy I just didn't see it, I mean I knew I was putting on weight but I honestly didn't realise just how much (60lbs!!) and just thought it was normal for being pregnant!! It wasn't until after the birth and I looked at some photos, man was I shocked, I looked like I'd been inflated.

I've had 3 children and have put on less weight each time. I lost the weight from the first 2 within 8 months, but the 3rd one took over a year. But this time I've been working out so much more and the results I like alot and will carry on working out.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Mommy and Daddy loved my siblings more in addition to the emotional scars associated with the 4th grade teacher failing to call on me the one time I knew the answer and had my little hand up. :sad:

And my calorie intake was higher than my calorie burn.
    That too....lol
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Stupidity. Cant phrase it any better than that. No excuse.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Because I'm lazy and I make excuses for it.
    Wow, you too?
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Because I was greedy and I always ate as if it was my last meal........Those days are over.
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Several reasons.
    1. Little to no exercise, so I was eating more than I burned off.
    2. Huge love for baking and baked goods of all kinds. I truly did not want to give this up, but it was a big contributer to my inability to make a change.
    3. Got lazy/comfortable - the kind of comfortable that makes you settle into a way of life.

All of those combined put 80 or so extra pounds on me over time.

Now 40 is gone. :)
  • dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    Options
    Lost my job, took forever to find employment.
    I was bored.
    I was depressed.
    I emotionally ate.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No excuses for me just sheer laziness with regards to eating right and exercising. Spent 10 years like this until I had my daughter and realised I didn't look any different 9 months pregnant than when I wasn't expecting!! So have been really trying for my daughters sake to be fit and healthy.
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem until I had my 3rd child who had a health condition and I didn't want to put her in daycare. My job was not flexible, so I became a SAHM at age 37, after working my whole adult life. My mom died 4 months later. Then I had another baby at age 41. Stress took over - three kids at home with 2 of them having special needs and no real support system other than my dh. Trying to put myself first is really hard.
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had four Big babies in a fairly short amount of time. Before getting pregnant i was always in great shape and always worked but once i got married i quit my job and became sedentary. Had no clue how to take care of myself. Never thoight about eating healthy before being pregnant so didnt do it while i was pregnant. I gained 60 to 70 pounds with each of my kids never loosing it all before becoming pregnant with the next one. I only wish i had mfp back then.....would have saved me from alot of health issues!!!

But happy to say i am in kick *kitten* shape now!!!!
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I wasn't required after sophomore year of high school to take Phys. Ed. so I never exercised after that. I went to college, but left after a semester after being so homesick and isolated that my only comfort was sitting in my dorm room and gorging myself with food. I moved back home and changed jobs several times, got married, divorced, remarried and had a kid. I realize a lot of it, I could've done something about instead of turning to food for comfort. I know that now and I vow NEVER to go back to that.