• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    ABSURD!
    Get help for yourself......:noway:
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do it when I eat something I'm not too thrilled with and dont want to waste calories.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Seems like a very unhealthy relationship with food.

I agree with this- I've never heard of anyone doing it as a means of weight control...I am obviously not a dr or expert but this certainly sounds like the first steps down a dangerous path.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    this seems really concerning, if you don't want the calories don't eat the food, but definitely don't masticate and then regurgitate! There is a big difference between avoiding bad foods and avoiding swallowing your food, the latter seems like a big problem.
  • QuirkyPanda
    QuirkyPanda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem like a healthy activity to me.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This is INCREDIBLY common among people with eating disorders. It's not healthy at all. Either eat the food or don't eat the food.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    how else are you supposed to eat a sleve of orero .. geeze
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I find that more than a little strange quite frankly. :ohwell:
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a trait of anorexia. I know quite a few that did that.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nope, never done it and I would think of it as a large amount of wasted food? not to mention how unhealthy it sounds to be doing this.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How is your relationship with food other than this? I agree that this could be a sign of a problem.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?

Hahaha that was funny.

This is a joke right?

Swallow. *Titter*
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    :noway:
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1stly - I would agree with everyone else on here.. sounds incredibly unhealthy, and actually this is something i have seen on many pro-ana websites that encourage anorexia

2ndly - I totally got the wrong idea of this post when I saw the title - strangly disappointed! Shame on me :blushing:
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Your sister is right,

Eat your food and quit spitting it out.
  • Medea81
    Medea81 Posts: 69
    Options
    My friend is anorexic, she will do that occasionally. When she is with me, I give her the look, and tell her if she is going to spit out what she just put in her mouth she may as well go home, and this means she usually will not eat in my presence, but that is alright for me as long as I am not helping her in her behavior by letting her spit out her food.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    It's not polite to spit it out. :wink:
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?

I'm with your sister, sounds like an eating disorder to me. At least make an appointment at a community mental health center and get a professional's assessment. I doubt you'll find "alot [sic] of people" doing this.

Also, I'd question if there actually is a "polite" way to spit food out.. I wouldn't want to eat at a table with you.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    At the very least it is the beginnings of an eating disorder.

This^