Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love food, especially crap food, and I love pigging out on it.

14877786.png
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was never much of an eater until I was pregnant with my first son. That is when I learned to eat and enjoyed it a little too much!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I gave up on myself and I used food to make me feel better.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Reading a lot of other people's reasons makes me feel pretty bad about my reason......

I'm lazy and love to eat and drink. Bad combo.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I became fat by being lazy and eating and drinking everything I wanted too.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    There are probably two things that contributed to my weight gain:

1. When I was about 26 I had kidney surgery to remove a stone that was blocking 90% of my kidney. My scar is about 9 inches long. The area around the scar has always felt weird and tingly at times. The muscles in my core have never been the same.

2. When I was 30 I went through a divorce. I felt like a total failure having to move back in with my parents and used food as a comfort.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Love food
    No self- control
    Lazy, hated to exercise.

In that order.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    foodisgood. :D
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    Simple--never ate very good in my life, blew up in third grade, and continued gaining since then.

I have never got to experience being anything less than overweight.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i was always chubby then lost alot of weight, went through a bad break up and miscarriage and said screw it and ate for comfort... lost all the weight again, woke up 2 sizes bigger than i went to bed and found out i had SEVEN ovarian cysts and tumors.. the hormone and steroid therapy packed the pounds on and i figured if i was going to gain anyway, i might as well enjoy the ride :)
  • csummer8882
    csummer8882 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    2 kids within 15 months of each other, both c-sections, 2 years of uncontrollable hives and being on steroids for over 9 months to try and stop them. The steroids did more damage to my weight than both kids did. :/
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Lack of motivation

Had given up competitive sport so no incentive there
    In a lovely settled relationship
    Was still in the healthy zone

Got to 16 lbs overweight and was starting to suffer as a consequence
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    My weight slowly crept up each time I had a kid but after my last kid I found out I had 2 bulging disks in my lower back and 2 in my neck that were causing major pain which limited my activity.
  • choface
    choface Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight when i was in 4th grade, 5th grade teacher told me "maybe if you lost a little weight you would have more friends" so I gained more. I was active always but I ate calorie rich food. Ninth grade I got sick and lost 10 pounds and everybody told me I looked great so all I would eat is salad with ranch spray . Went from 180 to 129 in about 3 months. Then I threw up one morning. Didn't wanna go down that road so I ate normal again. 140 senior year. After high school I did cheerleading for one year, transfered to a major university and then sophomore 10 happened and junior 5 and senior 20. :) now I'm down 8 pounds and i'm never giving up again.
  • ovenbird1977
    Options
    Divorce.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have had been diagnosed with several mental illnesses (Chronic epression, BPD, BDD and anxiety) and I feel that contributed to my weight gain a little, however I'm not going to make excuses and say it was the only reason.

Mainly, I made the wrong choices in my diet. I would eat what I thought tasted good and didn't give nutrition a second thought. I didn't move as much as I should and was pretty much doing nothing other than walking. It was a vicious cycle, I was depressed because I was gaining and I gained because I was depressed. I tried many crash diets and would go a few weeks on just a salad a day, the weight would drop but soon enough I started eating more.

Now looking back I have no idea how I was able to eat the amount I use to eat. Since changing my diet and incorporating regular exercise into my life I have been feeling so much better and I am keeping my health under more control now.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple reason here. I got lazy. I never had a weight problem until after I had kids, but it's not like my metabolism magically changed like the colored line on the home pregnancy test. I simply bought into the myth that "some people just get fat after they have kids", so I didn't bother trying to fight it. I ate like crap, didn't get out and move, and somehow expected only minor weight gain. Yeah, not so much. I don't recommend my approach at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No traumatic event for me. It was just me being lazy and thinking I don't have enough time to exercise. When in fact, it's just that I wasn't taking the time to exercise. Diet is not the problem for me. I eat love healthy food, but at my age with a desk job, my TDEE is pretty low without exercise and I simply get too hungry to eat little enough to maintain a healthy weight without exercise.

I actually enjoy exercise, but after a full day of work I'd rather sit on the porch with my husband and a glass wine than exercise. I have to constantly remind myself how important it is to exercise regularly. If I don't, my pants will do the reminding for me.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    When I was a little kid, I was stick thin, then I had my tonsils removed and my grandma/mom would constantly feed me stuff that was awful for my health. I gained a lot of weight and by 5th grade, I was a "fatty". By then, my mom got on my case about it, and it pissed me off, so I kept eating crap just to piss her off. That still continues today, but to a MUCH lesser extent.

I started trying to lose weight in 2009, but then in Jan. of 2010, I fell and broke the top of my tibia. That required surgery and now I am constantly in pain when I exercise, but I have started to eat right again in hopes that the weight comes off that way.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I've never been very active and always ate what I wanted when I wanted (carboholic here!!). I was never really terrible with my diet because my stomach is sensitive to a LOT of grease & fat in my foods, so that kept down my desire for pizza every night, haha. Even so, I was never a really "healthy" eater. I've been "chunky" since high school, but it's gotten worse as I've gotten older, and even though I carry my extra poundage well (when clothed, haha) I'm ready to be proud of my body and "wear" healthy habits! =)