Sometimes I don't swallow....

Options
12346»

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't swallow is if the food is vile. In the words of Anton Ego from Ratatouille:
    "I don't like food - I love it! And if I don't love it, I don't swallow."

start swallowing your food or plan ahead better. It's a bad habit to pick up that could lead to serious health issues.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my sister yesterday at a 4th of July party, and I mentioned that in an effort to moderate my calorie in-take, sometimes I don't actually swallow my food, I just chew it and politely spit it out. She said that has to be some sort of an eating disorder, but I disagreed and told her that I bet alot of people do this. So, I'd thought I'd ask today on here today....sometimes, do you not swallow on purpose?

Hmmm, no I can't say I would ever think of doing that but I do grab a sandwhich, pastry or doughnut, take a bite then throw the rest away. That way I won;'t grab another because I just wasted most of one and that one is in the can therefore rendering it inedible.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not as a rule, BUT there have been times that I didn't think about what I was doing and popped something in my mouth, realized how NOT worth it it was to me or my calorie count and spit it out...

This
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    I have put food in my mouth and then told myself I shouldn't eat it and spit it out, but I never do it to taste it and avoid calories. I would say please don't make a habit of it and if you already feel like it's out of control then please get some help =)
  • corymink
    corymink Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes it generally is an early sign of bullemia, You should probably talk to your doctor about it.

Besides... everyone likes a swallower better than a spitter... :wink:
    [/quote

True story:drinker: ]
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yuck, that's revolting! Saw a doco on tv about a woman who did this, although I think hers stemmed from a choking incident, but she chewed and spat her food into a glass at the table, and her kids started to mimic it as well! Please see a professional before it gets worse!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The crowd has spoken.

Either swallow, or don't put it in your mouth.

Right
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I don't see why this is unhealthy unless you were to be eating an unhealthy amount of calories, as in not enough.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I only do that when I bite into a chocolate and it's got something ridiculous inside... like jelly or ginger. :sick:
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to do that all the time. When I was bulimic. I still do sometimes. I purge sometimes too. Maybe once every few months. It has been on my mind a lot lately because I am having trouble with will power in regards to eating chocolate at work. I ate a lot the other day and though for a second "what if I just head to the bathroom and get rid of it" but then freaked out because I already added it to MFP!! lol. Anyway, I didn't.
  • runbikehike
    Options
    Thanks everyone....from now on I will swallow or not put it in my mouth....great words to live by ;)
  • lisalpotts
    lisalpotts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This actually does have a name, it is EDNOS. Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

Characteristic #5. Repeatedly chew and spit out large amounts of food without swallowing

While you may not meet the characteristics of anorexia or bulima, this can lead to more controlling and unsafe behavior. I have been there, and it is not fun. I have never been anorexic or bulimic, but considered myself a hybrid of this... and that is what EDNOS is. The best thing is just to eat healthy and not get so down on yourself for indugling a little. We are human beings and we are not perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_disorder_not_otherwise_specified
    http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=65849

This disorder is nothing to play with. If you are showing the signs, PLEASE acknowledge that you have some kind of psychological problem with food and work to correct it before it becomes something more serious!