Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Options

Replies

• TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation... 20 hours of one activity is the problem. If you do a balanced approach (BALANCE people), then you should be fine - some weights, some cardio...

Just because cardio is good, doesn't mean you need to do 20 hours a week and ONLY do that. Just because weights are good, doesn't mean you need to lift for 3 hours a day every day and never do cardio.

but that's my figuring. :)

^^^ This!

30 minutes cardio daily even if its same activity but alternate intensity and 3-4 lifting days and your good!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation... 20 hours of one activity is the problem. If you do a balanced approach (BALANCE people), then you should be fine - some weights, some cardio...

Just because cardio is good, doesn't mean you need to do 20 hours a week and ONLY do that. Just because weights are good, doesn't mean you need to lift for 3 hours a day every day and never do cardio.

but that's my figuring. :)

^^^ This!

30 minutes cardio daily even if its same activity but alternate intensity and 3-4 lifting days and your good!

Now we're on the same page :).
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    This is just like all that crap about eating more to lose! Soon you will see people only do lifting no cardio and can barely run to catch a bus with ease! Actually when you think about it cardio was meant to be performed DAILY like walking we may get more efficient at the activity but it doesn't mean its not doing its job either. Its not cardio that makes us fatter its what we feed our bodies that makes it fatter and MFP is to some degree the culprit it ENCOURAGES people to eat their exercise calories. I thought exercise was for fitness, health and wellbeing not to eat more.

Which part of the way MFP sets up your deficit is so difficult for people to comprehend? I wish they'd change it...just so the ignorance will finally END.
    Personally I think anything in excess is bad. And yes I also agree with weights being the best way to go for fat loss.

:heart:

Its because for most of the population eating those exercise calories does not work... There seems to be more fear about the bull**** of starvation mode then actually the consistency of your exercise and more worrying about how many calories to eat or not eat.

NOBODY is starving on this site unless they are eating 1200 calories every day and doing a load of exercise.

Excessive eating is bad, excessive exercise is bad, excessive everything is bad... Dang this stuff sucks! Whatever happened to doing what just feels good to you? ;)
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    I'm averaging over 50 mpw this year. I'm going to be so fat.

HAHAHAHAHHA hilarious!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    1. No hypothesis
    2 No test subject-S. Notice how I add on the "s."
    3. No longevity testing
    4. No statistical data
    5. Findings have not been replicated elsewhere by different researchers

#thisargumentisinvalid
    I get the feeling you didn't read the article. Everything he says is cited.

And I get the feeling you have never taken a grad level research class.

Sure, author cited, but that doesn't mean anything. None of the above points are in the article and if you don't have those, it's crap "research." Read it again. Critically.

Way to be all elitist about going to college.

To the OP I do agree with it. Your body gets used to whatever your desired cardio method is pretty quickly. Running does make you lose weight but you won't only be losing fat and that's where the problem is. Of course if you sat on the couch all your life then started to run you'll see some results. For people who have been running for quite some time and do nothing else though, they usually either get very skinny or stay sort of chubby if they eat the calories back.

Since everyone likes to use athletes as examples, heres a competitive sprinter vs a marathon runner.

content.jpg?1321556699
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    How did the author go from 1 hour a day to 2 hours a day to 20 hours a week? Jessica's thyroid level probably returned to normal because of the drug she was most likely put on, synthyroid, and she's probably had the issue for years and not known.
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat marathon runner? (Man or woman that has been doing this for years) I call BS.
    The article is about losing weight, not about athletes competing. Call BS all you want, cardio has yet to be shown to do anything more than diet alone. For much the same reasons he listed.

I agree but if we only eat say 1500 calories and do no cardio then is that good? I bet a lot of people would be bashing that person to eat more despite they only do lifting and no cardio but yet they are getting results. Eating a ton of calories is not the way to lose body fat, nor is doing cardio so you can eat pizza or treats nor does it elevate metabolic processes. Challenging muscle even in a caloric deficit is what keeps muscle and burns body fat.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's been my own experience that doing cardio only worked for me for a long time...from the time I was 27 till maybe 37-ish. I didn't over do it like I see A LOT of ppl do...there's no need to do one hour of cardio in the am and then again in the pm. I did roughly 45 mins per day 5-6 days per week. Then 2 years ago I was DRAINED. EXHAUSTED. Still working out but exhausted all the time. I did a lot of Cathe Friedrich step videos, some HIIT, some low impact high intensity and some standard keep your heart rate up but not at max stuff. Some light weights. Realizing my muscles were atrophying too. For someone who is 5'7", 135lbs and you can't really see my thigh muscles? Not good. I was getting sick once per month. Sleeping 12 hrs per night on days off from work. I first thought it was my job, then depression, then maybe chronic fatigue syndrome. So I tried to start doing Cathe Gym Style weight videos maybe twice per week and still cardio 4X per week. Working harder than ever and still getting NOWHERE. Then I start drinking V8 Fusion juice (high in sugar) and 6 months later, still between 135-140 and now I have a belly! And cellulite on my oh-so-perfect abs! I was devastated. Why was I doing all of this when I felt like crap and starting to look like crap? My mom developed hypothyroidism in her 40s, went from being rail thin her whole life to gaining 60 lbs in the same year I lost my 70lbs. So it could very well happen to me. And despite my best efforts at high rep, low weight strength training I was doing NOTHING to gain muscle!

Then I tried ChaLEAN Extreme back in March. Within a couple of weeks my abs were coming back. I just did Day 90 yesterday. I was worried only doing cardio (HIIT) twice per week was gonna make me gain fat or lose endurance. My endurance is better than ever! If you look at my collage of before and progress pics...I was 137 when I started, 136 now but a whole size smaller. Belly be gone! Leg muscles starting to get definition. Energy back. Also back to my norm of 7-8hrs per sleep and way more energy. I've been thanking Shakeology for that since I started Shakeology the same time I started ChaLEAN Extreme, but after reading that article I'm wondering. I did have my thyroid levels checked last yr when one of my monthly sinus infections had me rushed off the school bus in an ambulance b/c of vertigo from fluid trapped in my ears. They were normal in March '11 but I was thinking my thyroid or I was slowing down with age or something. Maybe it was a combo of Shakeology and ditching some of the cardio for more efficient HIIT twice per week along with heavier lifting 3X per week. And I LOVE lifting heavier! So much so I'm starting P90X in a couple of weeks.

It's been my own personal experience that I can buy what this article is saying. I've learned with ChaLEAN there are MORE EFFICIENT and less time consuming ways to train and my results are better than ever! Thanks for sharing!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I always want to know why the people here always take it to the extremes?

There's the Strength Training Only! people and the Cardio Only! people.

So what you can bench 300+ lbs, but can't run to the corner without gasping for breath...
    You're still not fit.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Looking at the resources for the research, everything, with the exception of one article, was done in the 1990's or before. Also, after reading the research from the most recent article was dated 2004, the type of exercise was not stated, and the LPL indicator that they were measuring stated that there was no change for women. Also, the exercise was "stressful".

Since there was no change in the LPL level for women, I would think that the heart and circulatory benefits of doing a sensible cardio seems to be the deciding factor.

I really think the key to doing cardio os to find a couple of cardio exercises that you ENJOY! When you are having fun, then instead of feeling like you are stressing your body, you are only having a bit of fun.

I am not a runner! Hate it! Have great admiration for those who can! I love ice skating, the whole gliding, twirling, jumping total engages me! I love dancing too. Shaking and swinging my body to the music is so much fun. When exercise is equated with enjoyable activities, then a different chemical is released in the brain than "stress" hormones.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

So what you can bench 300+ lbs, but can't run to the corner without gasping for breath...
    You're still not fit.

^^THIS^^
  • TauTheBull
    Options

You're still not fit.

Well guess we need more sex then... Its the only cardio people actually want to do!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You're still not fit.

That's the thing...you act like people are taking it to extremes. Show me one person here that said 'don't do cardio!' Sure, there's people who say 'I don't do cardio!'...but they don't recommend not to to others. What HAS been said, and HAS been proven, is cardio is irrelevant in regards to fat loss. That's all...and its very, very true. Is it good for you in other ways? Sure! I hate running, hate most cardio in general. Its taken me years to figure out that I love raquetball (go figure, every gym I've been in has a row of courts along one wall lol). Thankfully...cardio I can enjoy!...something I've been looking for because I KNOW there's other benefits. But I also know its not necessary for my fat loss, because guess what? I've done it without it.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You're still not fit.

Well guess we need more sex then... Its the only cardio people actually want to do!

Oh yes...I enjoy that cardio too lol. Just don't have enough opportunity to make it worthwhile as exercise =p.
  • TauTheBull
    Options

You're still not fit.

Oh yes...I enjoy that cardio too lol. Just don't have enough opportunity to make it worthwhile as exercise =p.

Doing your cardio outside of the bed will make you last longer in the bed further increasing your calorie burn through sex! ;)

During-sex-you-burn-as-many-calories-as-running-8-kilometers.jpeg
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

You're still not fit.

That's the thing...you act like people are taking it to extremes. Show me one person here that said 'don't do cardio!' Sure, there's people who say 'I don't do cardio!'...but they don't recommend not to to others. What HAS been said, and HAS been proven, is cardio is irrelevant in regards to fat loss. That's all...and its very, very true. Is it good for you in other ways? Sure! I hate running, hate most cardio in general. Its taken me years to figure out that I love raquetball (go figure, every gym I've been in has a row of courts along one wall lol). Thankfully...cardio I can enjoy!...something I've been looking for because I KNOW there's other benefits. But I also know its not necessary for my fat loss, because guess what? I've done it without it.

Its all over this site. Don't tell me you don't see it.
    I lift and endurance train. I don't preach one side or the other except to point out the fact that most people want to be overall healthier and fit.

So like I said. Maybe you can squat more than me, but I can hold my own in the weight room and outrace you.
    So who's fitter?
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Definitely makes you fat... You can see all the distance runners in the olympics are WAAAAYYYYY out of control. Must be some really good spandex holding it all in because they look pretty damn fit and trim. In fact the group I run with are all a bunch of fit and trim looking people too. Come to think of it, I lost 70 pounds running (or mabey it's the shorts)

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that Yoga also makes you fat... Love the BS Science!
  • runnergirlbell
    runnergirlbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Running is easy to start. There are programs everywhere online for any distance, it requires no coordination, and it provides an individual the opportunity to join a group or use the time as "alone" time. Sometimes its all an individual knows to do. In the meantime, they're moving and most likely getting the 150 minutes of exercise recommended by ACSM. Maybe they need something that they can do outside to avoid the feeling of judgement.
    Unless solicated, lets keep our mouths shut and let them run.

Lets change that title to "Watching TV makes you fat: America's in Trouble".
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think it's odd that some people seem to be pointing to the heavy "back of the pack" marathon (or half marathon) runners as examples of running not helping with weight loss. That makes no sense. No one has any idea how much those fat marathoners weighed BEFORE they started training for that race. They might be 50 lbs down, for all anyone knows. They're hardly a good example of failure to lose weight through cardio, unless you know enough of them personally to actually begin to make that generalization.

So yes, there are "fat marathoners" -- overweight people who participate in HMs and marathons. But geez louise, that in no way even begins to prove the idea that distance running hinders weight loss.

And just to be clear, I think there's a wrong way to do cardio that definitely doesn't lead to the results that are desired ... but that doesn't mean training for a half marathon is going to make me in worse shape than I'm in now. (Especially since my training includes strength training/HIIT.) When I cross the finish line, I will be at least 20 to 30 lbs down as long as I stick to the program and stay within my calorie goals. I will also be better off in physically in almost every measurable way. I have zero doubt of that.