It IS a SPORT!!!!

Options

Replies

• IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Is there a winner in cheerleading? Not a team, but an individual, and how does that person win? If it is judged, scored, or point tallied, then it is not a sport, if it is scored in a table, or league, then it is not a sport. Sports are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.
    There are very few sports, mostly what people call sports are children’s games made in to big business.
    Rounders plus money =baseball
    Netball plus money = basketball
    School boy Rugby plus padding and money= American Football
    Kick the can+ money = Soccer

cheerleading is just team dancing

What is a sport to you?
    Hunting shooting fishing, to name but three

What makes those things sports?
    they are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.

Sorry, but fish and deer can hardly be considered "foes." Take down a buck with your bare hands, and *then* you can consider it a sport.

Sitting in a blind and drinking beer while waiting for your prey to wander by can't be taken seriously as a "sport."

Competitive cheerleading is intense physical activity where teams compete and try to outmatch each other with physical skills. And THAT, my friend, is a sport.
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, on their own each 'sport' isn't a sport, you can play darts down the pub or in your own home but you wouldn't consider it a sport, more a passtime, or hobby, you can sprint down a track but unless you're competing against others at the time, then you're merely competing against yourself, so not really doing a 'sport'

I guess it boils down to whether you're taking part against others as to whether you could class what you;re doing as a sport.

So in short, when you compete against others doing cheerleading, then yes, its a sport, when you're cheering on the team at half time or during the game, I wouldn't say it was a sport.
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    Is there a winner in cheerleading? Not a team, but an individual, and how does that person win? If it is judged, scored, or point tallied, then it is not a sport, if it is scored in a table, or league, then it is not a sport. Sports are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.
    There are very few sports, mostly what people call sports are children’s games made in to big business.

What is a sport to you?
    Hunting shooting fishing, to name but three

What makes those things sports?
    they are events whereby the winner comes first, or takes on a foe and defeats that foe.

Sorry, but fish and deer can hardly be considered "foes." Take down a buck with your bare hands, and *then* you can consider it a sport.

Sitting in a blind and drinking beer while waiting for your prey to wander by can't be taken seriously as a "sport."

Competitive cheerleading is intense physical activity where teams compete and try to outmatch each other with physical skills. And THAT, my friend, is a sport.

I love you! :love: Marry me?! Lol
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    person not team, and no points, so for cheerleading to want to be come a sport it would be one on one, and to the death....

So by that, then football, basketball, rugby etc. etc. won't be classed as sports since those are typically team games.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    To the apparent derogatory comment on darts (although most pub sports could come under the same banner)in particular, a sport is something that requires skill IMO, so you do not necessarily have to be fit to compete and be successful at a sport, look at the amount of overweight professional golfers out there earning millions for example, would you like to challenge John Daly in his day for money and tell him he does not compete in a 'sport'....
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If it's in the Olympics it is a sport. My partner and I have contemplated becoming athletes by taking up ballroom dancing.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My wife was a competitive cheerleader in high school and a cheerleader in college. I love to get her riled up by saying cheerleading is an activity, not a sport. Although she does have one thing I never earned in all my years of playing football, baseball and basketball...a national championship. Sport or not, I have to give her credit for that.

When we were first married she coached, and having watched their practices, they were definitely intense. Add the competition factor to it, and I'll call it a sport.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    person not team, and no points, so for cheerleading to want to be come a sport it would be one on one, and to the death....

So by that, then football, basketball, rugby etc. etc. won't be classed as sports since those are typically team games.
    i was going to say that lol
    i have a friend who teaches cheer leading and they are doing competitions all the time and they win as a team so yes i would dsay a sport, gymnastics is also a sport and considering that the moves my friends cheerleaders do they are on the gymnastic side (VERY HARD)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Sitting in a blind and shooting is not shooting, that is sitting in a blind,
    Shooting is carrying your own gun over rough ground and stalking a game animal sometimes for hours on end. Matching your skill against a wild animals instinct
    Fishing against a wild fish in a river/sea is fishing, anything else is playing at it
    And Cheerleading is dance with throws, no matter how intense or physical it is, it is judged by points or league tables or refereed. So cannot be a sport

[/quote]
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Obviously tadpole has no idea what the word sport actually means.
    sport - noun - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

And if you want to go old school with it, the original meaning of the word sport was "entertainment, pastime." Nothing to do with individual competition, or to the death. That's never been any part of the definition.

Hunting and fishing aren't sport, hunting and fishing are methods of procuring food. Farming isn't a sport either, just for the record. :huh:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Games are fun
    Sports are not.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    Obviously tadpole has no idea what the word sport actually means.
    sport - noun - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

And if you want to go old school with it, the original meaning of the word sport was "entertainment, pastime." Nothing to do with individual competition, or to the death. That's never been any part of the definition.

Hunting and fishing aren't sport, hunting and fishing are methods of procuring food. Farming isn't a sport either, just for the record. :huh:
    If you have to hunt for food you are hunting for food, but if you don't have to hunt for food but still do, then you are hunting for pleasure. I.e. it becomes a sport.
    "Wild animals caught for sport joy, fun, amusement” is the late 13c definition. This predates “game involving physical exercise” by 200 years.
    And for the record, just because you disagree with me, does not mean you are right, it just means you disagree.
    Mocking me just proves you are one of ‘those’ people who feels they are so inadequate; that the only way to make you feel better about yourself is to bring everything down to your level.
    Kindly don’t.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i think people are confusing or mixing sport and athletics.

to me, you can be an athlete but not necessarily play a sport, and you can play a sport but not necessarily be an athlete.

i'm not sure why some need the validation of others to call it a sport. but regardless if someone thinks it is a sport, i don't think anyone would say that those who participate are not athletes - and really good ones, at that.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    i think people are confusing or mixing sport and athletics.

to me, you can be an athlete but not necessarily play a sport, and you can play a sport but not necessarily be an athlete.

i'm not sure why some need the validation of others to call it a sport. but regardless if someone thinks it is a sport, i don't think anyone would say that those who participate are not athletes - and really good ones, at that.
    This :) quoted for truth
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    I delineate "sports" and "games" by offense and defense. I believe that a "sport" has an offense/defense.... and games have high/low scores you shoot for... which makes bowling not a sport... but pool a sport... golf not a sport but (I bite my tongue) NASCAR a sport... IMO, of course
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Everyone has extremely valid points Personally i Believe that COMPETITIVE cheerleading should be considered a sport i agree with what others have stated about standing on the sidelines cheering is not a sport i was a cheerleader in high school and can honestly say its not a sport i did it for fun but competitive cheerleading is nothing like sideline cheerleading

ETA: although regular cheerleading isnt that intense the stunting is by no means easy i know i would never have been able to be on a competitive team those girls and some guys are beasts!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I also consider sex a sport, for the same reasons, just looking for the video on youtube now........
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Games are fun
    Sports are not.

:laugh:
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - not entering the sport/no sport thing but I watched the video and that tick tock thing WAS pretty sweet. :)
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in, but first let me state that I have a daughter that does competitive cheer (been to Nationals twice so far) so I have been around and have the utmost respect for the talent, work ethic, and athletic ability of competitive cheerleaders. They are without a doubt athletes in every sense of the word. That said, to me cheerleading is not a sport.

In sports winners are determined by objective measurements and not subjective opinion. For example: a runner crosses the finish line first, a basketball team puts the ball through the hoop more than the other team, a golfer has the fewest strokes, etc.

When the winner is CHOSEN because a panel of people said think that team/person did the best job, then it is not a sport.

Before you jump on me, I know how the scoring works and squads do get a certain amount of points for certain stunts (and deductions for missing stunts), but a judges personal opinion still comes into play. Otherwise all the judges scores should be identical and there would only need to be 1 judge and not a panel. As an example of the problems subjective scoring presents, we can look at the 2002 Olympic skating scandal.

IMO (and it is just an opinion) to be considered a sport, the winner is determined objectively, with no subjective component.