Kindle stolen from gym. I feel too angry to return

Options

Replies

• Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This world is not a nice place and a lot of people have no regards towards another person, so it's hard to let your guard down.

My sister left her $130 CHI flat iron at her gym on a Friday. She had this mentality that "90% of the people who go are senior citizens, someone will find it, turn it in to lost and found and I'll go back Monday to get it" Obviously, that was not the case. She never got it back and vented about it for at least a month or two. I would be angry too, but if it was MY mistake and left it, I would automatically assume the worst that I would never see it again, and I would just be completely thankful if I did see it again.

I'm sorry it happened to you, but the faster you understand this about people, the faster you can move on.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.

How did you get over it? I mean, in your shoes I would be judging each and ever person I see and wondering if they were the one that took it. I mean, that's what I'm doing.

I've got more than 20 years on you, so please allow me to play the "old man" card.

You'll learn that possessions come and go. Never develop an emotional attachment to your possessions. A THING should never have that much control over you. When you lose a THING, you work a little extra hard and replace the THING if you feel the old one was giving you valuable service. If it wasn't, you don't replace it.

I've had lots of THINGS stolen. Bicycles, records, stereos, schoolbooks, tapes (including a particularly dramatic 3-window smash, apparently the thief didn't like my selection of cassettes in my car so he snapped every single one of them in half then broke two more windows in addition to the one he broke to get in, then trashed the stereo and cut the seats up).

All of them were THINGS. I wasn't hurt. It cost me money. It sucked. But THEY WERE THINGS.

Break my THINGS, and I will buy new THINGS. It'll suck, and cost money, but there's not a single THING that I'd own that I'd shed a single tear over. Yeah, I might get pissed off for a while, but I'll just go out and buy an even nicer THING if the old THING was useful.
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This may not help, but... http://consumerist.com/2012/07/i-want-to-reunite-lost-kindle-and-its-owner-but-amazon-wont-help.html

It's possible someone did pick it up and is trying to get it back to you but doesn't know who it belongs to. Highly unlikely but possible!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Getting ripped off is one of the worst feelings in the world - and I don't know how to get over it. When I was 16, my first job was as a lifeguard at the YMCA. My watch was stolen from the changing room. I have never forgotten that - even though I should have been able to let it go. (I am now 71.) Other ripoffs also rankle.

I hope you have made BIG noises at the office of your apt complex. I hope you have posted LOTS of notes on the bulletin board, and on the walls of the exercise room.

Your job is to make the thief feel bad about his/her actions. Post those notices!!!!
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.

How did you get over it? I mean, in your shoes I would be judging each and ever person I see and wondering if they were the one that took it. I mean, that's what I'm doing.

Wow. You just need to get over your *kitten*. It's just a thing. A meaningless stupid thing. Your life could be so much worse. have you ever been held at gunpoint and robbed? Beaten and had money taken from you? I have. It could be so much worse. Just forget it.

While things could certainly be worse, I'm well within my rights to be upset. It was a gift, and so it has more than just monetary value. It was sentimental. It meant a lot to me. It's not just a thing. It's not just the kindle that was taken either. It was my comfort in the gym, in my home, and my faith in humanity. Those are not just things.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hard way to learn a lesson. I have never had anyuthing stolen from me. I don't bring anything with me that I can't monitor. Or more than I can carry on my person.

As for the person who had all the items stolen from their car. I would impress upon you that you should never leave anything in your car unattended that you don't want to lose or can't replace. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people will bust into your car if they see anything of value.

It was a convertible. LOL. I dont care anymore if people steal from me. I really don't. There's nothing I have that I can't live without.

Yep. I ride a motorcycle. If something is strapped to my bike, everyone can see it. I have a tail bag that I have on the back that I use for transporting those things that I might need for whatever ride I am on. There are always cigars in it. When I get to wherever I am going and have to be out of line of sight of my bike, I undo the buckles on the leather bag. I would rather have someone steel a couple cigars or a bungee cord than cut the straps on my leather bag.

Luckily, it's never happened. I like to think there is some camaraderie among bikers that keeps us looking our for each other.

Yeah dude, I'm not careless at all. It just happens. I had a radar detector on my dash in my car. Went in a place to have breakfast, came out, and it was gone. I didn't think someone would take that because they really had to reach in to get it, and it was parked in a very public spot. If they didn't know who I was, the owner could have been anyone around there.

I have learned to take reasonable precautions, but if someone wants something, they are going to get it. So, that's that. I mean, I had stuff taken right out of my backyard, including clothes and 2 large surfboards. How do you steal 2 large surfboards out of someones backyard?

Anyway...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Wow. You just need to get over your *kitten*. It's just a thing. A meaningless stupid thing. Your life could be so much worse. have you ever been held at gunpoint and robbed? Beaten and had money taken from you? I have. It could be so much worse. Just forget it.

While things could certainly be worse, I'm well within my rights to be upset. It was a gift, and so it has more than just monetary value. It was sentimental. It meant a lot to me. It's not just a thing. It's not just the kindle that was taken either. It was my comfort in the gym, in my home, and my faith in humanity. Those are not just things.

Ah. Maybe you're young and haven't been ruined yet by the world.

I realize it might have some value to you. But, there's nothing that can be done. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Festering over it is a total waste of energy and time. And, it's completely insane actually, since it serves zero purpose at all.
  • katatak1
    Options
    Post those notices!!!!

I've been "kindly" told by my landlord that notices are absolutely forbidden. Instead, I've been going to the gym every 30 minutes or so and speaking with everyone in there.
  • katatak1
    Options

I realize it might have some value to you. But, there's nothing that can be done. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Festering over it is a total waste of energy and time. And, it's completely insane actually, since it serves zero purpose at all.

I know it is a waste of energy and time. I want to get over, but I can't. I woke up this morning and the first thing I said to myself was "I'm going to make today be a good day." I went to the gym, and instantly I was back into anger mode. That's why I posted. I just can't figure out how to get over this.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was at Planet Fitness and had money stolen out of my purse. I didn't have a lock for my locker and just threw my purse in an empty one. When I was done I opened my locker and my purse was gone. I thought I was gonna die. My life was in my purse. I went to the front desk and told them what happened. Apparently the thief took my purse into a bathroom stall to rifle through it and left it there. Someone found the purse (minus my money) and turned it into the front desk. I am actually thankful because it could've been much, much worse. While I was talking to the front desk employee a young girl (early 20s) came up in a panick. Someone stole her purse too. We eventually found the purse sans money. She had over $400 in her purse (she was going Christmas shopping after the gym). I have since bought a lock and always locks my stuff up.
  • MellowCee
    MellowCee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said you should contact Amazon and try to locate it, as well as change your password. If it was stolen from a "secure" location, for example a locked locker, you did all you could do. If you left it out in the open, it's a tough lesson to learn. Not everyone shares your morals and values. Whatever you decide about the Kindle, do not let it deter you from your fitness goals. Forgive yourself if you left it out, forgive the thief if you didn't.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me you’re less worried about the physical loss than the loss of trust. It’s a really painful and hard truth that folks are very difficult to trust. Any one of us and any time may or may not live up to your or my personal standards. Even people we love and know very well disappoint us sometimes. It could have been anybody – maybe even just a kid that happened to pass by. It’s even possible that someone DID turn it in and the rental office employee kept it. You’ll never know. You can’t control people and their bad decisions. No matter how hard you will it on them, we are not all pillars of morals and values and we don’t always make the best decisions. You can control you and your reaction to it. Know that you would have done the right thing and turned it in and that you don’t have to live with the fact you’re a thief. That’s someone else’s problem. Replace it when you can, and move on.

As a side note, some people are really great too. I left my purse in a crowded mall. I just left it sitting on the back of a chair! I realized it about 15 minutes later and ran into one of the mall cops who happened to be talking to the couple that had just turned it in. They were so sweet and so concerned that it find its way to the owner completely intact. I gave them both a big fat kiss right on the lips!
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is always upsetting when you lose something, but you lost it rather than have it stolen.

We you leave something that is valuable unattended, blaming the person who picked it up is unfair when it was your own negligence that got the Kindle stolen. Unfortunately modern society in general is in decline, good samaritans are a dying breed and a lot of people would rather keep things they find for themselves. We must rely on our own vigilance and common sense to keep the things we treasure safe.

Like people have said you need to either lock it up or leave it at home, or don't let it leave your sight.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Maybe you're more than willing to play the victim, but not everybody is. People deal with things differently, so the only thing "insane" is you telling someone else how the should feel or react. There's plenty that can be done about it, if you don't just roll over & give up.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anything stolen from me at the gym however anything important is locked in a locker or with me. I don't leave anything important unattended. When I bring my phone, ereader or ipod, my phone is in my purse in my locked locker and my ipod and ereader are with me (ereader depending on what exercise I was doing).

I unfortunately work with theives everyday all day (I work in retail and I'm the undercover associate who catches the thefts and frauds) so I think I'm a little more careful seeing it daily. I never leave anything unattended or not locked up that is of value. I may be a little paranoid about it but you can never be too careful. It sucks when you have to lock everything up but it's better than having things stolen. Unfortunately things aren't like they used to be where you could trust a lot easier. I once had to arrest a girl I knew for years and was one of my closest friends when we caught her stealing money out of the register.

A friend of my husbands had his credit card stolen from his wallet at the gym.... they spent $2000 on it before he noticed it was gone.
  • JBApplebee
    Options
    It is always upsetting when you lose something, but you lost it rather than have it stolen.

We you leave something that is valuable unattended, blaming the person who picked it up is unfair when it was your own negligence that got the Kindle stolen. Unfortunately modern society in general is in decline, good samaritans are a dying breed and a lot of people would rather keep things they find for themselves. We must rely on our own vigilance and common sense to keep the things we treasure safe.

Like people have said you need to either lock it up or leave it at home, or don't let it leave your sight.

Unfair to blame a thief? Yes, let's not blame the loser who took something that didn't belong to them, let's blame the person who had it stolen. That makes perfect sense! </SARCASM>
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    One of my friends just had her Iphone stolen at from her at Lifetime Fitness.... and she was pretty pissed about it to.

My suggestion, go find a new gym or find a new way to work out until you can get over those feelings.

As others have said, it's a kindle.. it can be replaced... it's not like it can't. Next time you'll know better then to bring expensive things to an apartment gym and know better then to set them on the ground.
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Unfair to blame a thief? Yes, let's not blame the loser who took something that didn't belong to them, let's blame the person who had it stolen. That makes perfect sense! </SARCASM>

But why should we blame others and not accept responsibility for something that was our fault? It was not stolen, it was left in a public place and unattended. Pure an simple negligence. If I left my car unlocked and the door wide open what right do I have to say it was someone else's fault that my car stereo was stolen?

We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions before instantly laying blame elsewhere.
  • katatak1
    Options

But why should we blame others and not accept responsibility for something that was our fault? It was not stolen, it was left in a public place and unattended. Pure an simple negligence. If I left my car unlocked and the door wide open what right do I have to say it was someone else's fault that my car stereo was stolen?

We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions before instantly laying blame elsewhere.

I do blame myself. That doesn't make the thief blameless. And yes, it was a thief. When you take something that doesn't belong to you, it is theft. That is the very definition of thievery. B&E not required. But I'm not asking how to get it back or how to get vengeance. I'm asking how to get over it. And it that regard, you have been wholly unhelpful.
  • JBApplebee
    Options

Somebody needs to bookmark dictionary.com. She didn't lose it, she knew right where it was, until it was STOLEN. So if you put your car keys down, turn around & I take the keys & take your car, I guess you lost your car, & I didn't steal your car. No wait, that would still be grand theft auto.

It wasn't her fault. Was she negligent? Yes, but it was the fault of the thief who took something that didn't belong to them. Nobody made the scumbag steal, it was their own decision to do so. There isn't anyone that can say they've never done something that could have led to something being stolen of theirs. Like leave your car running just to go & grab something from the house, for example.

The indisputable fact is that she was the victim, not the criminal. It's your type of thinking that excuses the guilty for their behavior. Let's not blame the drunk who kills someone on the road, it's the fault of the bar who serves him the drinks. You're just shifting blame from the criminal to the victim.