Kindle stolen from gym. I feel too angry to return

Options

Replies

• free2live72003
    Options
    I can understand how you feel, but I would feel much worse if I allowed the thief to also STEAL my fitness opportunities.

I would try to move on realizing that the thief is in for a lifetime of heartarche and trouble and a stolen Kindle Fire will never bring them the enjoyment that one they had earned would.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Being a victim of these sorts of things is a terrible feeling. I photograph weddings and had my camera bag stolen at the brides house with only friends and family around (So I think). It had $9000 of equipment in it.

The truth is this stuff happens everywhere, that same type of person will steal because they are a thief. It is the opportunity, not the location that makes them do this. We brush shoulders with all kinds of immoral people all day that would probably make you sick to even leave the house at times.

Don't curse the gym or become cynical of everyone there.

It is our responsibility to adapt to these scumbags being in our presence but most thief's are good at what they do and can exploit opportunity as well.

Sorry to hear it, you probably will never get it back so just try not to think about it. :)
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can understand how you feel, but I would feel much worse if I allowed the thief to also STEAL my fitness opportunities.

I would try to move on realizing that the thief is in for a lifetime of heartarche and trouble and a stolen Kindle Fire will never bring them the enjoyment that one they had earned would.

Especially now that it's a fancy non-working black brick covered in cat hair! That's honestly the only thought that makes me feel a little better is knowing that it's deactivated and they can't enjoy it. On the other side of that coin, doing so almost guaranteed it was trashed.
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    To get over it, you have to let it go. Simple. Just let it go.

It's not in your possession any more, you probably won't get it back. Let it go.

My home was broken into, my TV, computer, Xbox, the game my son had spent MONTHS saving for... all gone. I was upset, worse I was worried they would come back. Sure we had insurance and after our *hefty* deductible got stuff to replace it... these things happen.

You can hold onto the anger, but it's only going to hurt you. If you keep in your mind that the natural state of a thing is broken or lost (because nearly everything you ever own will become broken or lost) when it happens you can see that it was meant to be.

Letting yourself have emotional entanglements with objects is dangerous business. Better to realize that the only things that matter in this world are you and the people that you love. Everything else is just a passing entertainment and will eventually not be in your possession.
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options

The indisputable fact is that she was the victim, not the criminal. It's your type of thinking that excuses the guilty for their behavior. Let's not blame the drunk who kills someone on the road, it's the fault of the bar who serves him the drinks. You're just shifting blame from the criminal to the victim.

It comes down to accepting society as it is, people are always going to steal from you, people are always going to drink and drive and people are always going to take advantage of opportunity. By not giving these people the opportunities to do this we can reduce the risk of things happening. The guilty are still guilty. If the bar was continuing to serve the driver with the knowledge he/she was still going to drive home they are as guilty as the driver and deserves to be punished as an accomplish due to their negligence. If the bar uses common sense and turns the driver away then they have done the right thing.

If the victim did everything to keep it secure then it truly is the fault of the thief, if they gave the thief a golden opportunity to commit the crime then they hold a significant portion of the blame for their negligence.

LOSE
    to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery:
  • katatak1
    Options

The indisputable fact is that she was the victim, not the criminal. It's your type of thinking that excuses the guilty for their behavior. Let's not blame the drunk who kills someone on the road, it's the fault of the bar who serves him the drinks. You're just shifting blame from the criminal to the victim.

LOSE

to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery:

STEAL

Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it: "thieves stole her bicycle".

We can argue semantics all day. No one disagrees with what happened, we all know I share part of the blame for this. I am not denying that. You aren't being helpful, so please don't continue to respond. You aren't helping the situation at all. I know my role in all this.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

LOSE

steal [steel] Show IPA ,verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun
    verb (used with object)

1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

You really need to give up while you're behind.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If it's an apartment gym, then you probably needed a pass card to swipe to go into the gym. That info should be available to the apartment management. Maybe there's some camera's too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katatak1
    Options
    If it's an apartment gym, then you probably needed a pass card to swipe to go into the gym. That info should be available to the apartment management. Maybe there's some camera's too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sadly nope on both. Well, you need key fob access, but they don't keep records. And they don't have a camera either. And I'm not allowed to post signs. It's gone. I've accepted that much, I just don't know how to stop hating the physical room just yet.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sorry that's happened to you. :frown:

I have been incredibly lucky. Every time I have accidentally left something valuable behind at my gym chaging rooms (my purse once, my expensive GHDs another time, and once I left my mobile behind), some honest person has handed it into reception.
  • LazyHairyBear
    Options

verb (used with object)

1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

All you have proven is that it could be either stolen or lost, there is always more than one action to a theft. Negligence is as important as the act of theft.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It's gone. I've accepted that much, I just don't know how to stop hating the physical room just yet.

I also always get incredibly angry when something unfair happens, and sometimes it just takes us a while to snap out of it. I had my tyres pierced (along with some neighbours) by some bored youth from a neighbouring area. It made me really so angry.

But, you know, 10% of life is determined by what happens to us and the other 90% by how we respond to it. Don't let this drive you out of your gym. x
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Continue to go to the gym as you have been.

When the negative feelings hit - turn them into a positive. Such as, "I'm getting fit and strong so that if I ever find the jackhole that stole my Kindle I can pummel them into squishy bits."

See? Don't you feel better?

LOL!!!! the is the firt thing I thought of when i read this!
  • katatak1
    Options

verb (used with object)

All you have proven is that it could be either stolen or lost, there is always more than one action to a theft. Negligence is as important as the act of theft.

Which I am not denying. I don't know why you are arguing this point. It has exactly nothing to do with my question. Are you being an intentional troll? I had hoped a supportive community like this wouldn't include people like you who argue for pointless reasons over nothing.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My main concern now is how to get over the anger so I don't seethe for the rest of the day after a workout. Just being there pisses me off.

Well that's "easy" enough. Workout to spite them or don't let them have enough control over you to make you angry. Take your anger out on your workout. Do intervals so hard that they literally take your breath away.
  • LazyHairyBear
    Options

verb (used with object)

Which I am not denying. I don't know why you are arguing this point. It has exactly nothing to do with my question. Are you being an intentional troll? I had hoped a supportive community like this wouldn't include people like you who argue for pointless reasons over nothing.

Sorry about that, it appears we hijacked the thread for our own petty disgreement.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.

This happened to my entire WALLET at a Wal Mart before. :mad: :explode:
  • AuntThelma
    AuntThelma Posts: 4,492 Member
    Options
    Consider that your anger is misdirected. The Gym didn't steal your property. So why be angry at the Gym?

You left it behind.
    Someone unknown picked it up.

The Gym was simply an innocent bystander. The Gym has not changed its relationship with you in any way. Forgive the Gym.
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Is there security cameras
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    you could get nitroglycerin paste get another cheap or broken electronic device and smear the paste onto it, leave it in the same area and let the guy/girl steal it again, they'll have the worst headache of their life and probably want to die and the revenge will make you feel better :) My mom talked about doing it to our halloween pumpkins one year, haha she is evil

edit to say: I am of course kidding........but man wouldn't it be sweet