Kindle stolen from gym. I feel too angry to return

Options

Replies

• peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    To the people saying she should get over it because it's just a "thing", I think y'all are missing the point. I got the impression she was upset because she felt violated, not because she didn't have her Kindle anymore. When she goes into the gym now she looks around and wonders if one of the people working out is the one that violated her. I can totally see how that would elicit anxiety/stress/anger/insert negative emotion here.

OP, nothing will help this but time. It *will* get easier. Maybe try NOT going to the gym for just a little while because you might actually be reinforcing that response since it's still so fresh. And recognize that while there are always going to be lowlife scum out there who take advantage, there are also LOTS of wonderful, caring people too. It balances out :)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    It is always upsetting when you lose something, but you lost it rather than have it stolen.

We you leave something that is valuable unattended, blaming the person who picked it up is unfair when it was your own negligence that got the Kindle stolen. Unfortunately modern society in general is in decline, good samaritans are a dying breed and a lot of people would rather keep things they find for themselves. We must rely on our own vigilance and common sense to keep the things we treasure safe.

Like people have said you need to either lock it up or leave it at home, or don't let it leave your sight.

so because you leave your wallet on the dresser in the morning, it's okay for your kids to go in and take all your cash?

Give me a freaking break! Most ridiculous post-you win!

Just because someone leaves something sitting, doesn't give someone a free ticket to take something that doesn't belong to them. Get real. You leave your car parked somewhere all the time. Is that a ticket for some thief to take it?

Why should we as people not take responsibility for our own actions and mistakes?

Why should we be allowed to give temptation to these people through negligence and not have to pay the consequences?

Why should we take the moral high ground and hide behind their actions while ignoring our own?

If you leave your wallet on the dresser in a PRIVATE residence where you can control who has access to it is a very different thing than leaving it in a public area where anybody has access to it. That is a parenting issue.

And you obviously will have children who just go around taking things that don't belong to them. Since I get the picture on your style of parenting.

"Son, if someone leaves their expensive item unattended, even for a moment, you get to take it! Their mistake! But make sure it's not my wallet. That isn't yours; it's only mine. You can't take my things; you must only take things from people out in public. Because they're stupid to turn their heads on their valuables."

*rollseyes*
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It is always upsetting when you lose something, but you lost it rather than have it stolen.

We you leave something that is valuable unattended, blaming the person who picked it up is unfair when it was your own negligence that got the Kindle stolen. Unfortunately modern society in general is in decline, good samaritans are a dying breed and a lot of people would rather keep things they find for themselves. We must rely on our own vigilance and common sense to keep the things we treasure safe.

Like people have said you need to either lock it up or leave it at home, or don't let it leave your sight.

so because you leave your wallet on the dresser in the morning, it's okay for your kids to go in and take all your cash?

Just because someone leaves something sitting, doesn't give someone a free ticket to take something that doesn't belong to them. Get real. You leave your car parked somewhere all the time. Is that a ticket for some thief to take it?

Why should we as people not take responsibility for our own actions and mistakes?

Why should we be allowed to give temptation to these people through negligence and not have to pay the consequences?

Why should we take the moral high ground and hide behind their actions while ignoring our own?

If you leave your wallet on the dresser in a PRIVATE residence where you can control who has access to it is a very different thing than leaving it in a public area where anybody has access to it. That is a parenting issue.

This discussion has no place in the thread. I'm not ignoring my own actions, so it's irrelevant. If you want to continue to discuss the semantics, please do so elsewhere. It is disheartening. I already know my role in this, and to have to continually read your comments is exceedingly frustrating in an already bad situation.
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options

steal [steel] Show IPA ,verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun
    verb (used with object)

1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

You really need to give up while you're behind.

All you have proven is that it could be either stolen or lost, there is always more than one action to a theft. Negligence is as important as the act of theft.

Again, incorrect. There's no question that it was stolen. She knew right where she left it, so by the very definition of the words, it was stolen. The best you can try is that she lost it due to it being stolen.

There isn't always more than one action to a theft. Shoplifting, for example, unless you think all stores are negligent by displaying the products they sell, which would be ridiculous, considering the amount of money spent each year on theft deterrent systems.

If you're trying to say the blame should be equally shared, I'd have to say that if common sense were really that common, more people would have it & you wouldn't keep failing at this discussion, because nearly every adult knows right from wrong. If they choose to be a criminal, that's their fault, not the person who owns the items they steal.

How many more straws are you going to grasp at?

By by very definition she LOST the item (to come to be without something through accident, theft etc.). If the shops do not make an effort to minimise the theft then yes they are negligent and need to shoulder the blame to a degree, if they make every effort to stop the theft then they share no blame. Just like if the Kindle was kept secure in a locker or in a home, then there would have been no blame on behalf of the victim. It is the way the world works.

it isn't about knowing right from wrong, it is about realising the degrees of right and wrong. It is wrong to steal something, it is also wrong to neglect something. At no point am I saying that the thief doesn't carry some responsibility for the item going missing.
  • katatak1
    Options
    To the people saying she should get over it because it's just a "thing", I think y'all are missing the point. I got the impression she was upset because she felt violated, not because she didn't have her Kindle anymore. When she goes into the gym now she looks around and wonders if one of the people working out is the one that violated her. I can totally see how that would elicit anxiety/stress/anger/insert negative emotion here.

OP, nothing will help this but time. It *will* get easier. Maybe try NOT going to the gym for just a little while because you might actually be reinforcing that response since it's still so fresh. And recognize that while there are always going to be lowlife scum out there who take advantage, there are also LOTS of wonderful, caring people too. It balances out :)

Thank you, you've gotten exactly to the point of what I'm after. Not recovery of the device, not vengeance, just how to get over feeling violated and feeling like I have to judge every person I see in the gym. I don't want to hate the people I share the gym with. I don't want to hate the physical room. Right now, I do hate all that. *That's* what I'm trying to fix.
  • sasarafo
    sasarafo Posts: 18
    Options
    I think it would be harder to "just get over" because this happened in the building you live in...in your space. This wasn't some gym somewhere else. I would think the element of it happening so close to your personal space unnerving. Knowing that someone would take something that quick...what else would they do?

It may be just a "thing" but it was yours and you obviously enjoyed using it. I hope it turns up.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

You'll learn that possessions come and go. Never develop an emotional attachment to your possessions. A THING should never have that much control over you. When you lose a THING, you work a little extra hard and replace the THING if you feel the old one was giving you valuable service. If it wasn't, you don't replace it.

I've had lots of THINGS stolen. Bicycles, records, stereos, schoolbooks, tapes (including a particularly dramatic 3-window smash, apparently the thief didn't like my selection of cassettes in my car so he snapped every single one of them in half then broke two more windows in addition to the one he broke to get in, then trashed the stereo and cut the seats up).

All of them were THINGS. I wasn't hurt. It cost me money. It sucked. But THEY WERE THINGS.

Break my THINGS, and I will buy new THINGS. It'll suck, and cost money, but there's not a single THING that I'd own that I'd shed a single tear over. Yeah, I might get pissed off for a while, but I'll just go out and buy an even nicer THING if the old THING was useful.

^ THIS. (BTW...are you sure the "thief" who busted up your car and cassettes wasn't a woman scorned? sounds like it! :tongue: )

In college, I drove around a ridiculous white dodge neon, which had seen MUCH better days. The front hood was bent all in from a guy in a Hummer who backed into me, the side mirror was held on with duck tape, etc. I went out to my car one day, and someone had broken in and stolen the CD player and my whole binder full of ALL of my CDs (I'm a music FREAK so those CDs were my "kindle"). Oh, I didn't mention that the Hummer incident, side mirror, and theft all happened while on Spring Break.

Honestly, when I saw that someone had stolen my CDs, I laughed. I was like "SERIOUSLY?!" I was pissed, yeah...but I moved on. At least they didn't steal my car.

At least they didn't steal your ability to workout - unless you let them. Don't let this become another option on "excuses to avoid the gym".
  • Samanthajane1984
    Options
    That sucks! I had a portable XM radio stolen once...set it down to go to the bathroom at the gym (stupid). Lessen learned though...I am attached to my Kindle Fire when I use it at the gym!!

Just keep trucking!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I once had an mp3 player of mine stolen by an employee at Planet Fitness. I know it was an employee because I verified over the phone that they had found it and were keepign it behind the counter. Went in, and it was nowhere to be seen.

How did you get over it? I mean, in your shoes I would be judging each and ever person I see and wondering if they were the one that took it. I mean, that's what I'm doing.

Wow. You just need to get over your *kitten*. It's just a thing. A meaningless stupid thing. Your life could be so much worse. have you ever been held at gunpoint and robbed? Beaten and had money taken from you? I have. It could be so much worse. Just forget it.

While things could certainly be worse, I'm well within my rights to be upset. It was a gift, and so it has more than just monetary value. It was sentimental. It meant a lot to me. It's not just a thing. It's not just the kindle that was taken either. It was my comfort in the gym, in my home, and my faith in humanity. Those are not just things.

I'm sorry that your property went missing, but let's be real here . . . I don't understand why you would have such a feeling of great violation when you left it behind. No one accessed your personal space and removed items from your person, home, or vehicle. Someone picked up a forgotten item that was left behind. Did they think someone would realize it was missing and come back for it, certainly, but they did not access your personal space to get it. Yes, you can be upset by it's loss, and you have every right to feel violated if you do . . . but I don't get it. While rummaging through my purse or bag I've dropped money or belongings, sometimes they are returned, sometimes they are not in which case that's the end of that. When I was in high school I practically lived out of my car, had hundreds of dollars worth of property in that vehicle. I stayed the night at my bff's and came out to go to school the next morning to find that someone had taken off the antena and used it to jimmy my locks and then removed all property from my car. It sucked, I cried, then I straightened the antenna back out, screwed it back into place, and went to school.
    Your Kindle Fire has nothing to do with your healthy lifestyle.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    Just try to channel your anger into your work outs, whether it is at the gym or another one where you feel more secure. Maybe join a month to month gym in the mean time until you feel you're ready to face the other gym. Or just try to push through your work outs focusing on why you are there, rather than thinking of what has happened there. You can also try focusing on how good it feels to work out and see changes in your body and how that out weighs the anger one pathetic person made you feel.

Don't let one person ruin your journey. Best of luck to you!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Seriously? Holier than thou much? She has owned up to the fact that she is partially at fault, so she has accepted some responsibility & she isn't hiding behind anything.

The only one on the moral high ground is you, wanting to excuse the thief for his actions & lay the blame completely at the feet of katatak1, which is beyond ignorant.

Like her goal was to tempt someone into stealing her Kindle, so she would get on here simply to vent her frustrations. She made a mistake. So do you think that everyone who makes a mistake should get punished for their mistakes while trying to wash away the blame of the individual who knowingly broke the law?

Have you ever made a mistake like that & gotten away with it? Left a phone sitting somewhere then came back & found it?
  • kranetakesflight
    Options
    My husband had his Kindle stolen from the gym once too. He put it on the floor beside him while he was using a weight machine, and someone walked up behind him and took it. He was pretty upset for awhile, mostly because our gym is in a very affluent area and he didn't think his peers would do something like it. A few days later it "showed up" at the front desk. We think it was probably a staff person that took it and gave it back once they realized there was nothing of value on it.

I don't have any good advice, but eventually the anger will fade and you'll be able to move on. In the meantime, you could always find somewhere else to work out..jogging or cycling outside or a trial membership to another gym perhaps.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options

^ THIS. (BTW...are you sure the "thief" who busted up your car and cassettes wasn't a woman scorned? sounds like it! :tongue: )

In college, I drove around a ridiculous white dodge neon, which had seen MUCH better days. The front hood was bent all in from a guy in a Hummer who backed into me, the side mirror was held on with duck tape, etc. I went out to my car one day, and someone had broken in and stolen the CD player and my whole binder full of ALL of my CDs (I'm a music FREAK so those CDs were my "kindle"). Oh, I didn't mention that the Hummer incident, side mirror, and theft all happened while on Spring Break.

Honestly, when I saw that someone had stolen my CDs, I laughed. I was like "SERIOUSLY?!" I was pissed, yeah...but I moved on. At least they didn't steal my car.

At least they didn't steal your ability to workout - unless you let them. Don't let this become another option on "excuses to avoid the gym".

I agree! Do not let this be an excuse no to work out. You are giving this person way too much credit if you let him ruin your goals too, it is just an object it can be replaced. Keep pushing!
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thank you, you've gotten exactly to the point of what I'm after. Not recovery of the device, not vengeance, just how to get over feeling violated and feeling like I have to judge every person I see in the gym. I don't want to hate the people I share the gym with. I don't want to hate the physical room. Right now, I do hate all that. *That's* what I'm trying to fix.

You probably look at the face of each person and wonder if it was him/her. These might be people you know and consider acquaintances or even friends. People you thought you could trust. This isn't a chain gym, it's the gym where you LIVE. You felt safe there. You were relaxed. Now you feel exposed and vulnerable. That would piss anyone off!

I hate to say it, but I don't know that there's anything you CAN do to "get over it". I think it's a feeling that will eventually wear off. You'll come to see that it was a chance event, that you were a random victim, and you'll become stronger for it.
  • katatak1
    Options

Seriously? Holier than thou much? She has owned up to the fact that she is partially at fault, so she has accepted some responsibility & she isn't hiding behind anything.

The only one on the moral high ground is you, wanting to excuse the thief for his actions & lay the blame completely at the feet of katatak1, which is beyond ignorant.

Like her goal was to tempt someone into stealing her Kindle, so she would get on here simply to vent her frustrations. She made a mistake. So do you think that everyone who makes a mistake should get punished for their mistakes while trying to wash away the blame of the individual who knowingly broke the law?

Have you ever made a mistake like that & gotten away with it? Left a phone sitting somewhere then came back & found it?

I have asked LazyHairyBear to exit the conversation, as it is simply making a bad situation worse. He has agreed to retire from the post. I respectfully ask that no one badger him from this point on, as I don't want the thread to be further hijacked. I appreciate your willingness to defend me, but since he's agreed to no longer defend himself, let's leave it at that if we can :) Thank you so much for understanding where I'm coming from and standing up to defend me. It reminds me that there are still awesome and wonderful people in the world. I just happened across an awful one on Monday. But not everyone is like that.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ooh! Maybe this will help...

My sister and I run a daycare and live in a VERY small town. A mother and father with 3 boys recently ran out on us without paying their balance, and they won't return our phone calls. Both the mother and father work at the local Fred Meyers.

My sister and I get a kick out of going to Fred Meyers, because one day we went and saw the father and he avoided us like the plague. He literally DUCKED underneath the counter..and then ran off somewhere else...LOL.

When people are guilty (not saying that your thief will necessarily feel guilty) sometimes they wear it ALL OVER their face or the way they act.

So maybe that might be a little INCENTIVE to go the the gym even more? To see if anyone is acting funny....or may be stupid enough to bring the Kindle with them? IDK..maybe it could help you?

Don't accept the role of the victim....it was stolen, you can't change that, but hold your head high because YOU didn't do anything wrong. THEY should be avoiding the gym to avoid the person they stole from. THEY should feel like the idiot.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    You can report the kindle as stole to amazon and they won't be able to purchase any books and it will become useless to them. I'm not sure if it can be hacked into after that or not. But, it's worth trying.
  • katatak1
    Options
    You can report the kindle as stole to amazon and they won't be able to purchase any books and it will become useless to them. I'm not sure if it can be hacked into after that or not. But, it's worth trying.

Already done. Solid advice, thanks :)
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Well, not to say that what happened to her didn't stink... but someone broke into my home and took all my electronics and I found it pretty easy to let go. My biggest concern was for my safety, but still managed. She left something expensive somewhere and it got taken. It sucks, but it should also be expected. People are rude and opportunistic for the most part. She shouldn't have left it, she knows it.

From watching the OP on this thread, it's pretty obvious that she'd rather hold onto her stress and pain. She's reacting to the people that are inflaming her situation and ignoring the people that have some really good advice. She says she wants advice on how to move on, and yet is ignoring the good stuff and clinging to the bad. It speaks volumes.

I sympathize with the loss of her kindle. I'd be bummed if mine got taken too. But in the end, it is just a thing. Not worth the stress, the lost work outs, the anger or the time spent complaining about it. It is after all just a thing and not worth losing sleep over. She's hurting herself more than the thief ever could have.
  • katatak1
    Options
    From watching the OP on this thread, it's pretty obvious that she'd rather hold onto her stress and pain. She's reacting to the people that are inflaming her situation and ignoring the people that have some really good advice. She says she wants advice on how to move on, and yet is ignoring the good stuff and clinging to the bad. It speaks volumes.

I've reacted positively to many who have said good and valuable things. Some of those responses have been through private messages saying thanks for their help, guidance, and support. I don't want to hold on to the stress and pain, but it's definitely an area that I have a problem with. But trust me, I've been soaking in the good and helpful responses.