Am I being to harsh?

Options

Replies

• monikariney
    monikariney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Ket_the_jet and Dawnrenee.

She's just not that into you...Plus, if nearly everyone you know is that way--that's a problem. If people are too busy to be with you, it's probably that they're not having much fun.

I'm not trying to trash you, because I used to have this problem in my late twenties. I finally figured out that in my case I was a drag to be around because I complained a lot and was sad a lot and talked mostly about myself. When a topic of conversation turned up, I always related it back to myself. I didn't even realize how this affected other people until I evaluated why more people didn't want to spend time with me.

Over time I watched people I liked to be around and that I saw other people like to be around. They weren't necessarily overly giving, they were just fun. They laughed a lot. They told funny stories. They made other people feel good about themselves by the ways they interacted. They were genuine and upbeat.

I started to change, and changing helped me have a lot more fun too. Now it's almost like second nature. It's not that I'm never serious or needy or bleak--sure, I have my times, but I love life and people love to be around me now. It's a whole lot more fun for everybody.
  • CleanEatingLlama
    CleanEatingLlama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My main concern is, why are constantly seeking rejection? Does it feel good?

You ARE being too harsh, on yourself. Stop chasing a one-sided friendship, and try out new people. There are plenty out there, and you are worth more than that! If she does not realize that, it's not her fault, maybe you just aren't meant to be friends... and that's OK too!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If it were an isolated incident I'd say cut her some slack...she might just be tired and overwhelmed with things she needs to get done at home. But if she is consistently doing this...then it might be time to take the hint and find another friend.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Stop inviting her to things and go by yourself. It seems like she is more involved in her own life than her social life with other people. If it was me I wouldn't have anything to do with her anymore if she kept brushing me off.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It bugs me when people use "I have other stuff to do" (ie. errands) as an excuse for bailing on a party at the last minute. But as far as just hanging out goes, it's understandable. And, it sounds like you gave her an out when you said you'd understand if she wasn't feeling up to it. So in this case, it sounds like you're upset that she took the option you gave her. To me, that's silly, since it sounds like you knew there was a good chance of her not hanging out anyway.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    She doesn't want to hang out with you.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    You're not being harsh in any way, or even misunderstanding. She has a job, she's tired, has stuff at home, but I highly doubt that makes up her whole life. It just seems, as mean as it may sound, she doesn't want to hang out with you. That may not be true, but if she has made commitments and at the last minute cut, she just doesn't feel the need to make the time. Try hanging out with other friends, or make new friends. It always sucks, but sometimes, friends aren't forever.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Not sure how long the two of you have been friends, but life goes in cycles. Who knows what she has going on, but you can only do so much to maintain a friendship. It doesn't mean the friendship is over - there's no need to make that decision. But for now, if this friend doesn't have time, or has other things going on, just look to other parts of your life for fulfillment. Do you guys spend any time on the phone? Are you sure she's really ok? If she's ok, but just busy or caught up in other parts of her life, just give her some space, and the two of you will find each other when the timing is better.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You gave her an out and she took it....

why is she to blame for that?

How bout sending her a message and let her know you really miss her and would like to spend some time with her... Tell her that it will be nice and non-stressful and could even include an adult beverage :) -- I rarely turn down offers like that
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think at the very least she could apologize for having to do stuff and offer to plan for another day. But this NEVER happens.
    Okay, this is probably why she doesn't want to hang out with you. You're needy. Why would anyone ever apologize for life getting in the way of relaxation? She works long hours and has house stuff to do, on top of sleeping?

You got three supportive answers from me but this one may be the most accurate: Get over yourself.
    -wtk

I don't think you mean "apologize for having stuff to do" I'm betting you mean apologize for cancelling. No, she shouldn't have to apologize for her life and house work coming before your friendship, but the appropriate and polite thing to do would absolutely be to apologize for having to cancel.

However, seeing how she doesn't do that, and doesn't try to make plans to get together another time, I say wait it out and let her be the one working for the friendship, let her be the one to call and try to make plans. Wait long enough and she just might miss you and do that. If not, sorry, the friendship isn't meant to be. Is it really worth all this?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm not the type of person who wants to start a confrontation, and I really don't want to start an argument... :(
    Then you may have to find a new friend.

Seriously, if you can't talk about it, what are you going to do? Act in such a way that your friend with intuitively guess what you are feeling, then correct her behavior according to guidelines she thinks you might want?

And wait... when she's wrong with her guessing, she should be expected to apologize for not guessing what you want?

TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO SIMPLY AND HONESTLY ASK FOR WHAT THEY WANT. Some don't really know what they want, most are too afraid to be honest about it.

Why are you asking if you are being harsh? Harsh for what? For posting this story on the forum? What have you said to your friend?

Quit waiting around for an apology and be honest and direct. Just because you have a set of social courtesy rules doesn't mean the rest of the world will have the same ones (or any at all). I don't say that lightly, as I've been in your shoes and had to accept that my standards of behavior aren't necessarily shared by the rest of the world.

I have to assume you want to be friends with this person, otherwise you'd just find a new friend. Be direct. Be honest. You might have to get out of your comfort zone. Start with some version of "This is what I want..."
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Say exactly what you said to us...to her.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Find a new friend...seriously....
    If somebody says they are going to be somewhere, be there or do not commit.
    I had a friend who planned to meet me for tennis, then just never showed up.
    No call - no show!
    Once, shame on him, but twice?
    Shame on me!
    I booted that loser from my life and felt glad when later, he lost his job, because I could have connected him with friends that would have got him right back in the workforce. He knew this and called, and I totally ignored him....SWEET!:devil:
    Being a lousy friend who can't show up means he'd be a lousy employee, and there is no way I'd recommend him to anybody.

Late for tennis=stay unemployed. That sounds fair. :indifferent:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I had a friend that used to do the same thing. We used to make plans to go for a night out and she would let me down at the last hour. It turned out that she suffered from anxiety/panic and eating disorders I had been friends with her for 2 years and I didn`t know.

I only found out because I told her how upset I was with the way she kept letting me down...after that long, long chat we became the very best friends for over 12 years and sadly she moved to spain to be with her parents who had emigrated. She is now married with 2 lovely children and very happy.

Maybe just tell her how you feel is the short version? You may find an answer?
  • azhkrgrl
    azhkrgrl Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Of all the advise I have read on here, I think WTK has given you the most accurate and realistic advise. Like WTK said, what is the common denominator? Do some honest soul searching and ask yourself what your expectations are and also what kind of friend you are to others. If your friends are letting you down/disappointing you, perhaps you need to reconsider what friendship is and perhaps find other friends that you have similar interests. If we were to ask those friends what kind of a friend you are, what do you think their answer would be? Even with similar interests, you are not always going to be joined at the hip doing those things together when you want to do them. There are other avenues to meet people with similar interests. Sign up for Meetup and find groups that you are interested in. Find ways to do stuff and still be happy doing with/without friends. Friendship is something that you have to work on and you have to be the friend that you also demand of others. There are also different types of friends so.....
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had a friend like this a couple of years ago. We'd grown up together and had been friends for about 16 years, so I was in the mindset that we were pretty much set to be friends for life. Until...

...we reached life in the working world. She would say that Tuesday was the best day for her to get together and we should plan to meet up after work around 7. Then, week after week, her boyfriend (of about 5 years) had some family crisis and she just had to be there for him. She knew I wasn't connected to her boyfriend in any way to know if she was making it up or not, but after a couple of months of boyfriend's-family-crisis-Tuesdays, there was no denying that she was just making excuses.

I let her know that she could contact me if she wanted to plan another time, and I pretty much never heard from her again. Every relationship takes two, including friendships; and unfortunately, they don't all stick.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Stop making plans with her.... when she has time let her make plans with you :smile:

edit*

Also, friends grow apart sometimes, especially when there are other priorities that take up your time, like work, kids, etc. She probably values her time alone at home more than her time with you, not saying that her constantly making plans and canceling is right, but she might just be trying not to hurt your feelings. Have you ever said "god take the hint already" about someone else. Sorry to say but she might be hoping you get the hint, and stop pressuring her to hang out
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I'm going to throw a different twist on this out there. Is she having problems? Is there a man at home? Is she grumpy and has to get stuff done around the house because she and her man had an argument and she knows that she is lousy company right now and/or she doesn't want to upset him more by going out? Could she be suffering from depression?

You might do better by telling her that you miss her and feel that she doesn't want to hang with you anymore or by taking a step back and letting her know that you are there for her is she needs you.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Very rarely do people do things "on purpose" to be jerks. While that doesn't make it feel any better when they do it's a part of life. Make some new friends so that you have other options
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Well, if you had plans to go to the lake IF SHE WAS FEELING OKAY, and now she IS NOT FEELING OKAY so doesn't want to go...then, yes, you are being harsh.